Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwise, surf & all, thanks for all your help. If I get time today, I will run out to the range and let 'er rip and give a report afterwards.

Surf, I won't be trusting my life on it until I've had at least 500rds through 'er without a hicup... but I might try some rabbit hunting.

I'm thinking about a collapsable stock later. Do they make one that doesn't have the serrated butt? They're kinda rough on the old skin in the summer.

Joking about the bottle. I'd just give the wife some money and tell her to go to the mall.
    Last edited by zeplin; 10-28-2008, 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Ah man I just called CMMG today and they said they won't make me a CMMG Middy with a 14.7" gov't profile barrell and permanent A2 flash suppressor. The salesman said he has gotten that request a few times but the managers simply won't make it. I have to say I'm disappointed in two things:

1) Of all the freedom of options CMMG offers, they won't make something which they clearly have all the parts for (they make the above in a Carbine gas version but not middy).

2) Of all the options CMMG offers I have to set my heart on the one I can't have. I really like that A2 over the Phantom for many reasons, and I want exactly 16" barrell.

I know it sounds picky but I'm a firm believer that when you buy stuff like this you can't settle for anything less than EXACTLY what you want. I guess I won't be creating my AR-15 just yet. Now I'm REALLY hoping Mccainn wins cause I'm gonna wait for my build to be possible.

And on that- any suggestions?

I looked into peicing together the upper but I don't know if something isn't going to add up correctly. Oh well

Comment

• Originally posted by whosjonny View Post
        Ah man I just called CMMG today and they said they won't make me a CMMG Middy with a 14.7" gov't profile barrell and permanent A2 flash suppressor.
        Why do you want a permanent flash suppressor?
        sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
          Why do you want a permanent flash suppressor?
          To be considered a non-NFA firearm, the total barrel length has to be 16". Therefore, a 14.7" barrell would need the last 1.3" to be made up of a permanently installed flash hider, which the ATF considers to then be part of the barrell.

Normally, when you buy an AR that has a 16" barrell lenght, the actual length of the barrell is 17-17.5", because of the flash hider.

Comment

• Originally posted by junior300 View Post
            To be considered a non-NFA firearm, the total barrel length has to be 16". Therefore, a 14.7" barrell would need the last 1.3" to be made up of a permanently installed flash hider, which the ATF considers to then be part of the barrell.

Normally, when you buy an AR that has a 16" barrell lenght, the actual length of the barrell is 17-17.5", because of the flash hider.

I should have known that. Thanks for the reminder. They taught us that in CCW class when they went over the law. Need to go back and do some refresher studying.
            sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• The range was open to LEO's only today. Have to wait til the weekend.
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by whosjonny View Post
                Ah man I just called CMMG today and they said they won't make me a CMMG Middy with a 14.7" gov't profile barrell and permanent A2 flash suppressor. The salesman said he has gotten that request a few times but the managers simply won't make it. I have to say I'm disappointed in two things:

1) Of all the freedom of options CMMG offers, they won't make something which they clearly have all the parts for (they make the above in a Carbine gas version but not middy).

2) Of all the options CMMG offers I have to set my heart on the one I can't have. I really like that A2 over the Phantom for many reasons, and I want exactly 16" barrell.

I know it sounds picky but I'm a firm believer that when you buy stuff like this you can't settle for anything less than EXACTLY what you want. I guess I won't be creating my AR-15 just yet. Now I'm REALLY hoping Mccainn wins cause I'm gonna wait for my build to be possible.

And on that- any suggestions?

I looked into peicing together the upper but I don't know if something isn't going to add up correctly. Oh well
                Why don't you just get the 14.5" w/ permanent flash hider?

J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Maybe off topic, but does anyone know where I could pick up a Colt LE 6920 for under $1,200 and avoid the 3% credit card fee? I found a 6721 in town but really want the 6920.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Comment

• Nope. Gunbroker and Gunsamerica are both starting around $1300. That's before shipping (?) and the FFL transfer fee ($35).
                    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• I dunno, but I am lusting after a 6921SP. SAW has one in stock and I DON'T NEED IT!!!!
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Originally posted by Rainey View Post
                        Maybe off topic, but does anyone know where I could pick up a Colt LE 6920 for under $1,200 and avoid the 3% credit card fee? I found a 6721 in town but really want the 6920.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Clyde Armory has them for like $1240. Also, check Top Gun Supply, as I believe their price is similar. Neither charge a credit card fee, but you'll probably have to pay $10-$15 for shipping. I think you'll be looking for a while if you want to keep it at $1200 total.

Comment

• Thanks, jwise, for this information! I did a search on Google for "AR 15 Guide" and this thread came up about half way down the first page.

I've made it to about page 14 on short breaks between patrolling.

So far, I have a number of questions, but I'm the type to research before just throwing out questions. However, one thing I would like to know:

* Are all CHF barrels chrome lined? Are they made from a selection of different steels? In other words, are all CHF barrels created equal?

I am a full time patrolman, a rookie and new to the wide world of guns trying not to get too overwhelmed. I found that I have a talent and interest in marksmanship. The only gun I own is my G22, which I carry on duty.

I don't think I'm going to take your advice about ordering a upper and lower separately, but I am looking for a good, new patrol rifle. I am not restricted in any way in my selection. It will be used for "room clearing." It will ride with me along with a Vang Comp 870.

* With no restrictions other than reason, should I consider another rifle?

Thanks for your effort and help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharpe103 View Post
                            Thanks, jwise, for this information! I did a search on Google for "AR 15 Guide" and this thread came up about half way down the first page.
                            Halfway!? Hmmm... Gotta get it back up to No.1 where it belongs... I'm glad you found it.

I've made it to about page 14 on short breaks between patrolling.
                            The first couple pages are the most important. After that it reads like an evolving conversation of co-minglers in a gun shop.

So far, I have a number of questions, but I'm the type to research before just throwing out questions. However, one thing I would like to know:

* Are all CHF barrels chrome lined? Are they made from a selection of different steels? In other words, are all CHF barrels created equal?
                            I'm going to have to admit that I do not know everything. I know, I know... I can hear the collective gasp of O.com Firearms Forum members from where I sit. "J. Wise doesn't know something about the AR?" It's true... [hangs head in shame]

CHF is a relatively unused technology here in the states. It's big over in Europe. I would say they are not created equal, and it doesn't mean it is chrome-lined. However, I have no idea what steel they are made from, or how the process of making a CHF barrel differs from another. Sorry...

I am a full time patrolman, a rookie and new to the wide world of guns trying not to get too overwhelmed. I found that I have a talent and interest in marksmanship. The only gun I own is my G22, which I carry on duty.
                            Congrats on a FANTASTIC choice of profession! Hold your head high, but be prepared to duck if needed!

I'm glad you found marksmanship easy to pick up. Just remember it is a degenerative skill. If you don't use it, you WILL lose it.

I don't think I'm going to take your advice about ordering a upper and lower separately, but I am looking for a good, new patrol rifle.
                            No worries on not taking that advice. It's just a cost-reducing measure that you can use if you don't mind doing some extra work. It can also avoid some headaches that come from mix-and-matching that can cause reliability issues.

I am not restricted in any way in my selection. It will be used for "room clearing." It will ride with me along with a Vang Comp 870.

* With no restrictions other than reason, should I consider another rifle?

Thanks for your effort and help!
                            Do you mean if you should consider a different weapon platform, like a Sig 556, AK-74, or the like? Or do you mean if you should consider Colt v. LMT v. CMMG?

I think you probably ought to get an AR-15 type rifle. I think you need to get the brand rifle that you're going to feel confident carrying, given the information you received here and elsewhere.

Practically speaking- if you're not going to save the money by buying separately, the CMMG will probably end up costing over $1k. CMMG's website lists this bad-boy for $1125:

I don't know what price break you could get by going through a dealer, but not much, I'll bet. Add shipping and a transfer fee in there, and you're looking at close to $1200. I'd have to seriously consider paying the extra Benjamin and getting a Colt 6920 at that price.

The reason I like the CMMG so much, is because you can save a lot of money on it buying it in parts ($575+$295=$870), unlike the Colt.
                            Last edited by jwise; 10-31-2008, 12:02 AM.
                            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! You've been very, very helpful.

Originally posted by jwise
                              Do you mean if you should consider a different weapon platform, like a Sig 556, AK-74, or the like? Or do you mean if you should consider Colt v. LMT v. CMMG?
                              Sorry. I'm posting between breaks in patrol. I knew when I posted that it would probably beg your question.

I was talking about the 5.56 vs. 6.80 vs. 7.62 NATO rounds. I did read what you had to say about it, unless you said more past page 14 or so. Particularly:

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              Regarding 6.8 vs 5.56, I think it's a moot point for me. My dept doesn't allow 6.8, or 6.5 Grendel, or .308 win. I'm stuck with 5.56 or 7.62X39. Until Magpul/Bushmaster gets off their duff and starts making the Masada/ACR in 7.62X39 using AK mags, I'll be carrying a 5.56 AR.

The 6.8, and even more so the 6.5 Grendel, is one HECKUVA round. Most importantly, it is still small enough to fit in the package size of the standard M4. I like that. I personally do NOT want an AR-10. It's too big. It doesn't feel right. I would REALLY like a larger caliber than the 5.56, but it's just not in the cards for me unless I switch to an AK-47. But that's not happening, regardless how much I love those suckers!
                              Unless you think a round with more terminal ballistics would better suit me, I'm probably sold on the Colt LE6920, and thanks to Junior300, I think I'll pick it up shortly from one of the places he listed. They have them for the $1,250 price. I'll dress it out just like the Colt on your first page when I get the money.

I've read through your first page for about the fourth time and finally see what you were talking about with the feed ramps, and now understand the gas system too.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                                The reason I like the CMMG so much, is because you can save a lot of money on it buying it in parts ($575+$295=$870), unlike the Colt.
                                If you go to a Gun Show you can bring that down another $100. They were asking $575 for the upper I bought. Got them down to $500. I think their lowers were about $50 less as well. Of course you have to assemble the lowers, but that's not a big deal. Kicking myself for not buying a lower.
                                sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6746 users online. 380 members and 6366 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X