Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe he's talking about the lugs on the bolt. I can't see the extractor not allowing the bolt to cycle. Plus, he also referred to "them" as things he oiled.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Stoppage Diagnosis
      8 Count Cycle of Operation

1 - Fire
      2 - Unlock
      3 - Extract
      4 - Eject
      5 - Cock
      6 - Feed
      7 - Load
      8 - Lock

Fire
      Press trigger, release hammer, firing pin strikers primer, primer ignites powder, oxidation of powder creates pressure that accelerates bullet through barrel.

Unlock
      As bullet passes gas port in front sight base pressure travels through the gas tube, through the gas key, into the bolt carrier, and the bolt carrier is pushed rearward off of the bolt which is locked against the barrel. As the bolt carrier moves rearward, and the bolt is forced to rotate by the cam pin in the bolt carrier unlocking the bolt from the barrel extension.

Extract
      Once the bolt is unlocked, the momentum of the bolt carrier moves the entire bolt carrier group rearward. The extractor, the claw that grabs the base of the cartridge case, will extract the spent casing form the chamber.

A carbine length gas system has a shorter distance from the gas port to the bolt carrier; this causes higher pressure to hit the bolt carrier group resulting in higher bolt carrier velocity and more aggressive extraction. This is why heavier buffers <H or H2>, 5 coil extractor springs, black inserts, and o-rings are recommended for carbines. The increased mass will reduce the bolt carrier group velocity and the additional extractor force will ensure that the extractor does not bounce off the of the cartridge case.

Eject
      Once the casing clears the ejection port the ejector, a small spring loaded plunger in the bolt face pushing the casing against the extractor, ejects the casing from the receiver.

If the casings are not being ejected, it is usually due to the bolt carrier group not traveling all the way to the rear. This could be due to lack of lubrication or insufficient gas pressure reaching the bolt carrier group.

Insufficient pressure can result from gas port misalignment between the front sight base and the barrel, a gas leak from between the front sight base and the barrel, a loose gas key, &/or defective gas rings.

Cock
      As the bolt carrier of a semi-auto moves rearward, it cocks the hammer and locks into the disconnector, when the trigger is release the disconnector releases the hammer, and the hammer engages the sear ready to be released with the next pull of the trigger.

At this point if the magazine is empty the follower will push up onto the bolt catch and lock the bolt carrier group to the rear, otherwise the cycle of operation continues.

Feed
      As the bolt is moving forward it will make contact with the top round in the magazine and feed it out of the magazine. Worn out, or low quality, magazines can cause unreliable feeding; magazines have a finite life when they no longer work reliably dispose of them.

Load
      The round the was stripped from the magazine is loaded into chamber. The A2 style upper receivers have very small grooves <feed cuts> cut into the upper receiver & barrel extension; these feed cuts direct the round into the chamber. M4 feed cuts are much deeper and extend much further down into the receiver resulting in more reliable loading.

Lock
      As the bolt carrier group pushes the round into the chamber the bolt makes contact with the barrel/chamber. This contact stops forward motion of the bolt, but the bolt carrier continues to move forward forcing the bolt to rotate with the cam pin in the bolt carrier locking the bolt into the barrel extension.

Lubrication
      Lube is not part of the firing cycle but direct impingement AR style carbines like to be run wet.

Liberally lubricate the following areas:
      * Outside of your bolt carrier
      * Body of the bolt
      * Locking lugs
      * Put a couple drops of oil into the exhaust ports of your bolt carrier

Where in this process is your stoppage occurring?
      Is it extracting?
      Is it ejecting?
      Is it feeding/loading?
      If you load one round in the magazine, will it eject the casing and lock the bolt back?

Good luck with your problem and I hope this helps. I don’t think my writing style is up to jwise’s level, also this was written very quickly as I’m leaving for a couple days and just walking out the door.

If there are any questions, or problems with this I'll be happy to answers for it Monday or Tuesday when I return.

Comment

• You're right Sgt. Sorry forgot it was the bolt lugs.

Feels like they hang in the mating part. Using Gautamala ammo. Never had an issue with it before. Had some Wolf ammo handy and tried it. No Jams in 30 rds. Went back to Gautamala and jams. Oiled the lugs and it fired flawlessly for about 50 or so rds, then it started hanging again.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• What kind of chamber do you have?
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• omega, Sometimes it would completely eject the case then partially close. Other times the case would not completely eject and when the bolt moved forward it would be stopped by the case. As I said in previous post, oiling the lugs made it work for a while, then back to hanging again.
            sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
              What kind of chamber do you have?
              There's more than one type of chamber? How would I know what type it is?
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Is it a National Match chamber, .223 Wylde, 5.56 NATO....should say on your paperwork if it doesn't say it on the barrel.

Match parts have tighter tolerances which is why I was asking.
                NRA Life Member

Comment

• The proper chambering for a fighting rifle is 5.56 NATO, not .223 REM. While the cartridges are identical to the naked eye, they ARE nonetheless different. Most importantly, the 5.56 round will not feed reliably in the tighter .223 REM chamber. If you are looking to buy a match rifle, look for .223 REM and buy/load for it specifically. If you want a fighting rifle, you want the looser 5.56 NATO chamber.

Other offerings (usually in stainless steel barrels) can be "Wylde", or "Dutch." They have the characteristics of both chambers, with no drawbacks that I have ever come across. Noveske calls his something else, but it's the same concept as the Wylde. (Wylde/Noveske chambers are designed to enhance accuracy, while Dutch chambers are designed to enhance reliability.)
                  This is from Page 1.
                  NRA Life Member

Comment

• The CMMG should come with the NATO 5.56 chamber.

What buffer are you using?

Try pushing down on the ejector plunger on the face of the bolt. It should be difficult to depress, but it SHOULD depress. If it is VERY difficult, or stuck, you've got brass shavings in your ejector channel and that's what is causing the problem.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Using the buffer off my Bush. The upper is brand spanking new 5.56 NATO 1/7 twist. Went ahead and checked ejector plunger. It's fine.
                      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I would chalk it up to bad ammo if it's only doing it with the Guatemalan stuff and not with Wolf. Wolf seems to be very underpowered, so if it cycles fine with that you should be good to go.

It definitely sounds like it's "short stroking".
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Crap. You beat me to it. I would recommend spending the money on some better quality ammo. Spent all that money on a good gun to put crap ammo through it. The higher quality ammo should help out immensely.
                          NRA Life Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                            Crap. You beat me to it. I would recommend spending the money on some better quality ammo. Spent all that money on a good gun to put crap ammo through it. The higher quality ammo should help out immensely.
                            The ammo was free (3,000+ rds). Old friend became disabled and couldn't shoot anymore and gave it to me. Worked fine in Colt and Bush.

This morning ran the chamber brush(?) in and out several times and the bolt does not feel like it is hanging anymore. Probably won't have time to do any shooting again til next weekend.
                            sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Keep us posted.
                              NRA Life Member

Comment

• OK justhomp. I got a couple of toys on it. Here's what it looks like so far. Happy now???

Went back to Gun Show. Grabbed several uppers and they were tight like mine. Asked them about it and they said it should loosen up after a 100 or so rds. Hope they're right.
                                Last edited by zeplin; 10-26-2008, 06:10 PM.
                                sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6919 users online. 327 members and 6592 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X