Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started building an AR today. Using an old lower I installed a CMMG trigger and boy is it sweet. Ain't no doubt when the hammers gonna fall now. Also got a CMMG A3 UPPER 5.56 NATO 1/7 CHROME LINED 16"(not HBAR) the light one(with threaded suppressor in case I don't like the one that came with it).

Needed a place to mount the AIM SPORTS Green Lazer so I got a UTG #416M MID LENGTH QUAD RAILS just in case I decide to get really crazy like justhomp infers I ought to.

... and finally, at least until the next big spending spree an AIM SPORTJH 400 ELECTRO DOT SIGHT(HOLOGRAPHIC?). Wanted the EOTEC, but it'll have to wait 'til Christmas.

Forgot to get the vertical foregrip so mounting the pressure switch for the lazer will have to wait. Grrrrrrr!!!!!! ... and I wanted to try it out tonight.

Total investment to date $800

jwise, you is so right about AR's being Legos for grownups.
    Last edited by zeplin; 10-19-2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: Had toys instead of legos
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I was just cleaning up my mess and realized the Sight & Lazer were made in China and not Aimpoint as I thought they were. I'll give them a try next weekend. Maybe they'll suit my needs. Could just kick myself in the A** for that stupid mistake.

Also was wondering about that 'sweet' trigger. Even though it is CMMG, my experience with allen screws nagged at me about them being fragile. Was reading the new thread about the VTAC someone just got, sorry don't recall who and jwise comment on the adjustable trigger only heightened my suspicions about the triggers reliability. At least I still have the old one for a backup.
      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• From post #97 in this thread, where I talked about triggers. I had not addressed this VERY important issue in my original posts, but in my defense, I wasn't advising changing out the stock trigger either.

Here's the text:

Originally posted by jwise View Post
        I never did adress triggers, did I? Hmmm... Well, I have three Rock River Arms 2-stage Nat'l Match triggers, and the rest are stock single stage triggers.

The advantage of the stock trigger, is the reliability. It is rock-solid and won't change on you.

I had a Bushmaster adjustable match trigger a while back, but pulled it out because it stopped working. The adjustment screws backed out, and caused a failure. This was not good. The feel of the trigger, however, was exceptional.

I switched to the RRA 2-stage, because it has no adjustment screws, so nothing can come apart on me. I've heard the RRA trigger might eventually wear down to a single stage trigger, but I have heard only rumors of one actually stop working.

Other triggers include a bunch of single-stage match triggers, which I do NOT like for a fighting rifle. They are too sensitive, and become a liability. This is not necessarily gospel, but it's my opinion, and that's what you asked for!

The perfect trigger is the KAC 2-stage, which (just like everything else made by KAC) costs an arm and a leg. More than 2-3X as much as the RRA, which costs $125 or so.

A 2-stage trigger means it has a "take-up" before the sear engagement. So you can put your finger on the trigger, take out the slack (which is weightless), then take your shot. There are two distinct "stages" to the trigger movement. Kind a like a Glock trigger.

Single stage triggers have no take-up. Once your finger touches it with enough pressure, it disengages the sear. Some single stage triggers (mil-spec) have lots of movement, while match triggers do not. Match single-stage triggers are like a tuned 1911 trigger, while mil-spec single stage triggers are like a short double action pull.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• jwise, nothing needing to be defended on your part. I recallled you had talked about triggers, but I could not find the post. My fault, not yours.

If it gets out of adjustment, I will either put the old assembly back in or readjust to my liking then do some mods to make those final adjustments permanent.
          sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Which ar 15 would u guys recomend for a newbie. Never owned one, but looking to get one. Looking for one that has all the goodies in one package.

Comment

• You'll have to be more specific as to what your intended use is. Are you going to be target shooting or is it a combat gun?
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                From post #97 in this thread, where I talked about triggers. I had not addressed this VERY important issue in my original posts, but in my defense, I wasn't advising changing out the stock trigger either.

Here's the text:
                jwise, after reading Post 97 and your comments in the other thread I decided to ask CMMG if they had a heavier duty trigger. Here is there response for what its worth. I will still have my stock trigger handy in case I experience a failure as you did.

zeplin,

We only offer the one version. We have these triggers
                installed in our test fire lowers for the uppers we sell
                and all of them have in excess of 10,000 rounds through
                them.

Thank You,
                Garson
                --
                CMMG, Inc
                PO Box 369
                Fayette, MO 65248
                (660)248-2293
                (660)248-2290 (FAX)
                [email protected]
                sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by dave80 View Post
                  Which ar 15 would u guys recomend for a newbie. Never owned one, but looking to get one. Looking for one that has all the goodies in one package.
                  I am going to skip the first part of your question, because it is answered exhaustively in this thread (that was the whole point.)

I'm sure you've already read it (at least the first two pages or so), and you are really asking the second question:

"[W]hich [AR-]15 would [you] guys recomend (sic) ... that has all the goodies in one package."

If you TRULY want a "turnkey" package, then the RRA Gov't rifle is the only one that I know of. It comes with a Surefire weaponlight, an EOTech optic, BUIS, railed forearm, etc... It's good-to-go right out of the box. Of course, you're going to pay a few dimes more for that luxury.

PS- I'm learning proper citing/quoting techniques right now in my Legal Writing class, can you tell?!
                  J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Rock River Arms also has the Pro-Series TASC
                    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=215
                    and the Pro-Series Elite
                    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=216
                    which has an Aimpoint instead of the H.U.D.-style EOTech. Not the only difference, but this gets you started on the Christmas list....

And here's the DEA copy "Government":
                    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=214
                    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• I will admit that some of the manufacturer sites can be a bit confusing unless you are fluent in "Black Rifle". That may be one of the largest problems people overcome when trying to research purchasing individual parts. Plus, many departments may only authorize something that's fully assembled aside from optics and lighting.
                      NRA Life Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                        Rock River Arms also has the Pro-Series TASC
                        http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=215
                        and the Pro-Series Elite
                        http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=216
                        which has an Aimpoint instead of the H.U.D.-style EOTech. Not the only difference, but this gets you started on the Christmas list....

And here's the DEA copy "Government":
                        http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=214
                        I would not recommend the TASC. The Elite looks good on first blush, but I'm not sure about the gas block/front sight. I prefer fixed FSB gas blocks over clamp-on types.

Thanks Sgt Slaughter for showing these. I didn't know RRA had put together other "packages."
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Im a part time leo for now and just about done with my academy. My dad wants to buy me a graduation gift (AR 15). Im looking for one that I could use while on duty.

Comment

• Congratulations! Check your department policy and see what fits.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

• jwise,

Is there a breakin period for the CMMG uppers? Fired mine for the first time today. It's a jamomatic. Apparrently the claws(if that is what they are called) are hanging and not allowing it to kickback properly. Narrowed it down to that and oiled them up real good. Made it through about 50 rds before it stared hanging again. What are your suggestions?
                              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Not sure what "claws" you are talking about. If it's the extractor, then the pin should be oiled but the part that touches the case should be clean and dry.
                                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6257 users online. 229 members and 6028 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X