300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tony.o View Post
    Yes, thats what I was mainly talking about. I don't know as much as you about the rifle and I do know that all the civilian bolt carrier is different from the military one, but don't all of the manufacturers of the civilian version make theirs the same and, well I guess you already answered that. But, I'd just want to have a rifle that other makers parts can be used in it, if it comes with parts like the others, then I guess it'd be OK.
    The only Colts I see in the shops around here are leftovers made during the ban and have FOR LE USE ONLY, all over the thing, they aren't selling.
    All Colt 6920s are marked LE only and it means diddly-squat. You can use pretty much and other parts in a current production 6920 except for the hammer, trigger, hammer pin, and trigger pin. Old 6920s had a sear block that extended into the upper receiver that prevented the use of an auto sear and a full-auto carrier. Current 6920s just have a "web" that is machined into the lower that does not prevent the use of a full-auto carrier.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony.o View Post
      Yes, thats what I was mainly talking about. I don't know as much as you about the rifle and I do know that all the civilian bolt carrier is different from the military one, but don't all of the manufacturers of the civilian version make theirs the same and, well I guess you already answered that. But, I'd just want to have a rifle that other makers parts can be used in it, if it comes with parts like the others, then I guess it'd be OK.
      The only Colts I see in the shops around here are leftovers made during the ban and have FOR LE USE ONLY, all over the thing, they aren't selling.

Why do you keep posting without actually getting the correct information for what you are posting? There is no such thing as a "civilian" and "military" bolt carrier. There is an "AR15" and a "M16" bolt carrier. Most AR-15's will accept both kinds of carriers, the only real difference being the weight of the two. I say most, because I cannot speak for lower-end AR's, only the Colt and Noveske I have owned. The "military" carrier, as you call it, is an option offered by several companies, including CMMG, so I'm pretty sure there is nothing illegal about having one in a personal rifle.

Also, I don't really understand your earlier posts where it looks like you said you own a Colt, yet you continue to post untrue and misleading information about Colt products. Colt parts are the gold standard by which other makers are judged. The only parts made by Colt that will not interchange in any quality AR15 built to military specifications are the fire control group pins, which are oversized to prevent easy conversion to full-auto. Colt has even standardized these on newer production guns.

Lastly, almost all Colt AR's are marked "law enforcement" in some way, but it has nothing to do with the legality of owning one.

If I come off sounding like a Colt Kool-Aid drinker, I'm not. Although, my Colt 6920 is a fine piece of equipment. It annoys me when people post inaccurate information, that is easily corrected, for the consumption of people who come here to get answers. I know many officers are not "gun-guys", so they come here to get answers, which I would hope are the right ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by junior300 View Post
        The only parts made by Colt that will not interchange in any quality AR15 built to military specifications are the fire control group pins, which are oversized to prevent easy conversion to full-auto.
        Then why do many people have to purchase specialized Colt adapter pivot pins because Colt used oversized holes on the upper? I'm asking seriously; are there only certain Colt models that are out-of-spec or is it all commercially-available Colt rifles?

Originally posted by jwise
        (2) Colt has employed a "sear block" in the past, and does leave material in place where the auto-sear would go in their semi-auto lowers. So does everybody else.
        I had never heard of other manufacturers using a sear block; what manufacturers do this? Edited: I thought my Alexander Arms lower could use an auto sear, but I was incorrect.
        Last edited by Fëanor; 10-18-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Why do you keep posting without actually getting the correct information for what you are posting? There is no such thing as a "civilian" and "military" bolt carrier. There is an "AR15" and a "M16" bolt carrier. Most AR-15's will accept both kinds of carriers, the only real difference being the weight of the two. I say most, because I cannot speak for lower-end AR's, only the Colt and Noveske I have owned. The "military" carrier, as you call it, is an option offered by several companies, including CMMG, so I'm pretty sure there is nothing illegal about having one in a personal rifle.

Also, I don't really understand your earlier posts where it looks like you said you own a Colt, yet you continue to post untrue and misleading information about Colt products. Colt parts are the gold standard by which other makers are judged. The only parts made by Colt that will not interchange in any quality AR15 built to military specifications are the fire control group pins, which are oversized to prevent easy conversion to full-auto. Colt has even standardized these on newer production guns.

Lastly, almost all Colt AR's are marked "law enforcement" in some way, but it has nothing to do with the legality of owning one.

If I come off sounding like a Colt Kool-Aid drinker, I'm not. Although, my Colt 6920 is a fine piece of equipment. It annoys me when people post inaccurate information, that is easily corrected, for the consumption of people who come here to get answers. I know many officers are not "gun-guys", so they come here to get answers, which I would hope are the right ones.
          Well, Jwise knew what I was talking about so who cares if I didn't use the correct nominclature Yeah I have one Colt left, don't like it. Bought two back 15 or 16 years ago, before the ban, because thats all I could get my hands on back then, not the choice we have now, while it lasts. Haven't shot 100 rounds through it, you want to buy it? If theres something I want, I just go out and buy it. Buy one of each.
          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
            I had never heard of other manufacturers using a sear block; what manufacturers do this? My Alexander Arms lower definitely has no such BS.
            A "block" is the wrong term. It's usually just extra material left in the receiver instead of milling it out. Take a picture of the inside of the rear part of the receiver. I'd be surprised if it is actually already milled for an auto-sear.
            Last edited by jwise; 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM.
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Jwise,
              I have a Colt Sporter Match H-Bar, that I bought around 1990.

It had a steel block that was pinned in place from each side into blind holes, preventing the end user from simply driving the pins out. I wanted to install a Geissele DMR trigger so I machined the block out, it would have been much simpler to drill the pins from each side and remove the block whole but then I'd have two holes in my receiver.

Comment

• Hello JWise, others feel free to chime in.

GREAT thread with tons of information.

I’m new to the forum and am wondering if you could assist me on purchasing an AR? I have looked at the Colt LE692 but due to pricing would also consider the CMMG and other options. I'm not a "gun guy" per say but would like to purchase one while I still have the option.

I have looked at the CMMG 16” M4 A1 SOCOM Upper and would upgrade it with the Full-Auto bolt group, E.G.R.E.S.S, Polished/Extended feed ramps, double heat shield handguard, and the TROY rear sight. The Lower would be their standard setup. The CMMG would be around $1,100 shipped and the Colt’s price is about $1,250. With the price being so close will the CMMG hold its value like the Colt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rainey View Post
                  Hello JWise, others feel free to chime in.

GREAT thread with tons of information.

I’m new to the forum and am wondering if you could assist me on purchasing an AR? I have looked at the Colt LE692 but due to pricing would also consider the CMMG and other options. I'm not a "gun guy" per say but would like to purchase one while I still have the option.

I have looked at the CMMG 16” M4 A1 SOCOM Upper and would upgrade it with the Full-Auto bolt group, E.G.R.E.S.S, Polished/Extended feed ramps, double heat shield handguard, and the TROY rear sight. The Lower would be their standard setup. The CMMG would be around $1,100 shipped and the Colt’s price is about $1,250. With the price being so close will the CMMG hold its value like the Colt?

I know you asked for JWISE's opinion, but since this is the internet, I will offer mine as well.

If you look around on the internet at the gun boards' for sale sections, I think you'll see that Colts are in a league of their own as far as retaining value. The only other two that I have seen fetch a good price as used guns are LMT and Noveske. If you buy the Colt for around $1200, which I have seen online dealers offering for a price, I wouldn't expect to get any less than $1000 for a used Colt that is in good shape. If we have another ban after the election, your Colt just gained several hundred dollars of value.

The only advantage I see from what you listed on the CMMG over the Colt was the Troy rear sight

Comment

• Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                    Then why do many people have to purchase specialized Colt adapter pivot pins because Colt used oversized holes on the upper? I'm asking seriously; are there only certain Colt models that are out-of-spec or is it all commercially-available Colt rifles?

I'm pretty sure the pivot pins are standard, since you can interchange Colt uppers and lowers with other brands. Maybe JWISE can give a final answer on this. As far as I know, it's only the fire control pins that are not to "mil-spec".

Comment

If you buy the Colt for around $1200, which I have seen online dealers offering for a price, I wouldn't expect to get any less than $1000 for a used Colt that is in good shape. If we have another ban after the election, your Colt just gained several hundred dollars of value.
                      I have been thinking about purchasing one for a few years and with the thought of the laws changing I have stepped up my urgency. It would be something to shoot but I'm also considering it to be somewhat of an investment.

Comment

• Not Jwise, but I'll add some input.

Colt has many, many, different models and I am by no means an expert on all of them but my Colt Sporter Match H-Bar, purchased approx 1990 referenced a few posts above, has a larger non-captive threaded front take down pin.

Mil-spec uppers/lowers will not interchange with Colt big hole uppers/lowers without the use of adapters, although the adapters are readily available.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the pivot pins are standard, since you can interchange Colt uppers and lowers with other brands. Maybe JWISE can give a final answer on this. As far as I know, it's only the fire control pins that are not to "mil-spec".
                          What, your not sure, but pretty sure, especially with that reaming you gave me. I see alot of gun experts at the range, they spend two hours shooting 4 rounds of ammo and spend 30 minutes lookin at their gun between rounds. Heck, I just go to have fun and shoot till I'm ready to go home.
                          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omega_556 View Post

Colt has many, many, different models and I am by no means an expert on all of them but my Colt Sporter Match H-Bar, purchased approx 1990 referenced a few posts above, has a larger non-captive threaded front take down pin.
                            Had a Colt like that with the threaded front pin. That was the only thing I didn't like about it.
                            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              A "block" is the wrong term. It's usually just extra material left in the receiver instead of milling it out. Take a picture of the inside of the rear part of the receiver. I'd be surprised if it is actually already milled for an auto-sear.
                              Ah, I see (said the blind man)! We are talking about different methods of blocking the same auto sear.

Here is my lower. I see what you mean how the area where the auto sear would go is not wide enough:

And here is a picture of what the Colt sear block looks like that I was referring to (they're so proud that they even branded it):

Thank you for setting me straight ;-)
                              Last edited by Fëanor; 10-18-2008, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Brownells came out with a video series of "How to build an AR-15". It's free on their website.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...103&mc_ID=3017
                                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9431 users online. 478 members and 8953 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X