Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevern View Post
    Great thread, jwise.

I've shot competitive registered skeet and big bore (M-1 Garand) left-handed, and I can shoot right-handed, if pressed. I am naturally right-handed, but my master eye is my left, hence the tendency to shoot from that side, bat a baseball, etc.

Questions: I have been considering a left-hand version of a "black rifle", but the only decent supplier seems to be Stag Arms, which didn't get a top review here. Would I be wise to consider a true parts gun, using the Stag upper as a base, and using a lower, barrel and other accoutrements from other makers? Or, should I just buy one of the quality right-hand set-ups, get used to the brass flying across my vision, and be done with it? Shotshells flying across my vision never bothered me, BTW. This will not be a duty rifle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. N-i-c-e bike
    I shoot the same way as you and I'm naturally a righty too. I've never had a problem with brass in my vision or hitting my body except for an MP5SD i once shot. Aks, AR's etc. I've never had a problem with. I've just finished buildin my first AR and although I can get by with righty controls, I'm gonna put ambi controls on the rifle (saftey, mag release) So I'd stick with a righty..
    Last edited by 135dB; 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM. Reason: .
    -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
    -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Beavo, very nice job on your rifle.

jwise and 135 - Thanks for the insight, and I agree with the sentiment of using the righty version, however . . . There is an interesting thread on another forum about this that I just now found, and there are several armed forces members coming around to the idea of a lefty carbine that is a little easier, and they have some interesting arguments.

One option may be to buy the Stag upper and put a nice barrel on it, and a righty lower with ambi controls. Also, I understand that Noveske ($$$) will make a custom lefty:
      http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=109155303

Comment

• As I stated in Post #415:

Originally posted by jwise
        I think if the feature of the left-side ejection was a "major feature" for you, it would outweigh the minor features the Stag lacks.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• OK jwise, I just left the gun shop and purchased a CMMG model MOD4SA. I didn't need another AR, but you sounded convincing so when I saw they had that brand I just bought it.. I even looked at the feed ramps.
          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony.o View Post
            OK jwise, I just left the gun shop and purchased a CMMG model MOD4SA. I didn't need another AR, but you sounded convincing so when I saw they had that brand I just bought it.. I even looked at the feed ramps.
            You will be well-pleased. Tear it apart, inspect every piece, and expect to be fully satisfied with its quality.

I would appreciate any pictures you might take of its significant parts: gas key staking, feedramps, and any staking on the castle nut (since they've stated they are going to start doing that.)

BTW- My studies are going well, and I've discovered that reading law books while smoking cigars is my new favorite past-time!
            Last edited by jwise; 09-19-2008, 06:24 PM.
            J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
              Beavo- That is one SWEET rifle! You really got the bug bad, huh?

Well done, sir. Well done...
              Yeah I do have it pretty bad... Changing up some stuff on my SBR soon too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kennedyford
                http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ifles1002.html

AT $748.88 what do you think they are getting?
                Probably the "Patrolman" models

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16M4.asp

Department prices are significantly lower than retail or individual officer prices. IIRC, a Colt 6920 is around $900 for department pricing.

Comment

• Just an FYI. firequest.com has some AR .22 conversion kits in stock for $200 w/ a 10 rnd mag. When I called to see if they were in stock he gave it to me for $179.00 over the phone.

As far as i know, they've been pretty hard to find lately, unless I've been looking in the wrong spots
                  -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                  -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                    Well, the big day came and I took the lilguy out for the first firing to zero. Unfortunately the wind was a blowin and my carefully prepared paper on board targets were not cooperating. In frustration I shot them. I was zeroing a Nylon 66 22 rifle first with a red dot sight. I love that little gem....so light and quiet and reliable. It was ok that I had forgot to bring my earplugs when I was shooting the nylon. But things were very very different when I squeezed off my first AR15 round. Holy*****. I set up a pretty nice ring pattern in my ears. I had some success with zeroing the eotech holosight...good enough for the moment anyway, and no success with the iron sights. I am running a troy flip-up BUIS. I couldnt get it close. The wind wasnt helping. Gonna have to try again.

I was pretty amazed at the power of this rifle. I dont think I am going to need anything bigger. I was firing federal (American Eagle) XM193 rounds. Going to have to set up targets that are not so vulnerable in the wind.

And you immediately put on hearing and eye protection right?

Sounds like you at least had a decent time at the range. Hopefully next time will be better.

Comment

• Vtoxic- Do yourself a favor. The next time you go out, be sure you take a page from this guy's playbook:

Eyes AND ears, every time...

PS- How did you like shooting your new stick?!
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Elbow kinda high, eh?
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                          Elbow kinda high, eh?

Yeah- he was a newbie at the time. I just searched my photo file for someone wearing obvious ear and eye protection.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                            Went out again today with my son (19). Didnt forget the earplugs this time. Loved firing the rifle and I was able to get the BUIS zeroed to a comfortable place. Gonna fine tune in time but its good for quick and dirty right now. But I sure like this rifle. As long as I am able to lift it to my shoulder I will have it with me.
                            Sounds like a great way to spend time with the family. Good for you!
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Hey Jwise, seeing that you are also from Houston, where can I get a feel for some of these other brands besides the usual Bushmaster from Academy?

Im really torn between two complete uppers at the moment, the Stag 2HT complete upper and your often recommended CMMG 16" Govt profile complete upper. What is your opinion? I prefer the Stag because of the included FF hand rail and BUIS being included in the pkg, but CMMG is 1:7, M4 feedramps... Please help me with this decision!!

Stag 2HT- $650
                              CMMG 16" M4 - $575

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by richxd87 View Post
                                Hey Jwise, seeing that you are also from Houston, where can I get a feel for some of these other brands besides the usual Bushmaster from Academy?

Im really torn between two complete uppers at the moment, the Stag 2HT complete upper and your often recommended CMMG 16" Govt profile complete upper. What is your opinion? I prefer the Stag because of the included FF hand rail and BUIS being included in the pkg, but CMMG is 1:7, M4 feedramps... Please help me with this decision!!

Stag 2HT- $650
                                CMMG 16" M4 - $575

Richard
                                You can always add the railed handguard to the CMMG upper on their website. $575 is the current price? Huh- that's $50 more than when I checked last.

PS- I'm new to H-town, so I probably can't help you out. The only shop I know of is Tomball Pawn. They have everything...
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9367 users online. 312 members and 9055 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X