300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackhand_0078 View Post
    Jwise, thanks for providing all the information in this thread. I was about to place an order on a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T, thinking it was a good deal for the price with all the additional options.

After some more research and internal debate, I opted to buy a CMMG upper and lower [separately, of course].

<SNIP>

If I could do it again, I'd opt for the government profile barrel, as the rifle with all the doo-dads is pretty hefty. I just need to stock up on some cheap ammo and get some quality trigger time in.

All in all, I saved several hundred dollars and got pretty much every option I wanted and some I didn't even know I needed until I read this thread.
    Now, THAT is a GREAT first post! Way to go Blackhand!! That's one NICE bang-stick!

I must ask- why, after reading this thread and obviously trusting me enough to buy a CMMG sight-unseen (I assume), did you NOT take my advice in getting the Gov't Profile barrel? Did you get the HBAR, or Medcon?

Is that a mid-length or carbine-length gas system under that 12" rail?
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Nice rifle. Have fun shooting that puppy.

I have too many projects going on right now to finish the RRA lower I have sitting here. Hell I haven't even gotten my A2 clone done and it's been sitting on the TV for ages. Now with the new 1100 I will be scraping some cash to put that together.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
        Now, THAT is a GREAT first post! Way to go Blackhand!! That's one NICE bang-stick!

I must ask- why, after reading this thread and obviously trusting me enough to buy a CMMG sight-unseen (I assume), did you NOT take my advice in getting the Gov't Profile barrel? Did you get the HBAR, or Medcon?

Is that a mid-length or carbine-length gas system under that 12" rail?
        Jwise, I think my brain just flatulated when ordering--too much competing information in my head. It's a mid-length gas, medium contour barrel rifle. I called CMMG to change the barrel to a government profile, but it had already shipped. This was a week after I placed the order, much to my surprise.

In your initial post, you stated that government profile, SOCOM, or medium contour would be fine. I also read that a medium contour barrel would contribute to improved accuracy, and also rationalized that a heavier barrel would be sturdier.

But since I won't be shooting this rifle on "group therapy" mode or at long ranges, the benefits of a Medium Contour barrel are mitigated. And the Omega Rail should keep the barrel safe enough. So -1 for not following your recommendations to the letter.

Everything else is satisfactory. I can live with the barrel being a little heavier...just need to do so some more curls.

Comment

• Well, the medcon isn't that much heavier. I was afraid you got an HBAR. That would have been a different issue.

The Medcon is a great barrel. I truly do like it, even though my official recommendation is the gov't barrel. I think after you get some time behind it on the range, you'll appreciate the stiffer barrel and the accuracy it is capable of.

Welcome aboard. I'm honored that you posted your first right here in the "big thread."
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Bump, fixing to start building. Thanks for the info.
            Renegade

sigpic

It's not the size of the man in the fight, but the fight in the man!!!!!!!!!
            " Not Sure Who Said It"

Comment

• There ya go.

I like that MkII as well.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Congrats, VToxic! I'm glad your local shop finally got in their shipment from CMMG. That's a heckuva wait!

The rifle looks good. I'm not familiar with that grip. How do you like it? Is it rubberized at all, or hard plastic?

That Troy BUIS is pretty neat in Flat Dark Earth (FDE.) I assume it came that way. Is the peep also FDE, or black?

Do you plan to get a FDE forearm? Or will you just leave it alone, paint it, or replace it with a rail?

The flash hider looks to be non-standard. Is it the slightly longer birdcage, or the A2 birdcage?

I will be expecting a range report promptly, considering how long you've been anxiously waiting for it to arrive. You DO have ammo for it, right?

I will agree with Blackdog- that Gerber MKII is SWEET! I have always wanted one, but never really had a reason to get one (kinda like the Cold Steel Black Bear Classic.)
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                  Again, thanks for all your wonderful help.
                  You're welcome.

Originally posted by Vtoxic
                  How is the motorcycle thing coming along????? The weather is fast becomming ideal for biking. Guess its a good thing I dont have a pesky job to get in the way of more biking

I'm loving my motorcycle...

Except that I'm evacuated right now because of Ike, so I can't ride it until I get back.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Good lookin' rifle V. Sorry to hear about the job loss.

As soon as you can, get a real railed handguard. That setup you have now won't hold up well when you begin to take it to the range.
                    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                      AWESOME!!!
                      You went with the VTX, and a 1300 ta boot, and the best color
                      Looks a lot like mine
                      I see you got aftermarket pipes....bet they are loud. They look like Cobras
                      Get a Kuryakyn laydown license plate frame...youll love it
                      I like the fender chrome inserts. I have been thinking about getting them.
                      I also like the added lightbar in the front.

Your bike is a real beauty
                      Thanks! I can't take any credit, as this is how I bought her from the previous owner.

Another gratuitous pic:

And another...

Last edited by jwise; 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Left Hand

Great thread, jwise.

I've shot competitive registered skeet and big bore (M-1 Garand) left-handed, and I can shoot right-handed, if pressed. I am naturally right-handed, but my master eye is my left, hence the tendency to shoot from that side, bat a baseball, etc.

Questions: I have been considering a left-hand version of a "black rifle", but the only decent supplier seems to be Stag Arms, which didn't get a top review here. Would I be wise to consider a true parts gun, using the Stag upper as a base, and using a lower, barrel and other accoutrements from other makers? Or, should I just buy one of the quality right-hand set-ups, get used to the brass flying across my vision, and be done with it? Shotshells flying across my vision never bothered me, BTW. This will not be a duty rifle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. N-i-c-e bike

Comment

• I know several left-handed shooters who have never found a problem with the AR-15. The VERY early models did not have brass deflectors, but those are collector items now.

I shoot from my left-shoulder when doing transition drills, and the only issue for me is the amount of gas that is blown in your face while shooting, not the brass flying in front of your nose!

The Stag left-handed models are fine rifles, and only lack a few features. I think if the feature of the left-side ejection was a "major feature" for you, it would outweigh the minor features the Stag lacks.

Does this make sense?
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by stevern View Post
                            Great thread, jwise.

<SNIP>

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. N-i-c-e bike
                            Thanks, you're welcome, and thanks!

BTW- Welcome to the site!
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Back on topic of Ar-15s....
                              My first complete build. Assembled the upper and lower from parts. It was alot easier than I first thought.

Mega Machine Shop Lower and Upper
                              White Oak Armament 16" Mid-length barrel
                              Daniel Defense Low Profile gas block
                              Daniel Defense 12.0 M4 free-float rails
                              PRI Flip-up front sight
                              ARMS #40L flip-up sight
                              Saylors Machine flash hider
                              Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN
                              Bushmaster LPK w/ JP reduced power springs
                              Magpul MIAD grip
                              LMT SOPMOD stock

Comment

• Beavo- That is one SWEET rifle! You really got the bug bad, huh?

Well done, sir. Well done...
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4692 users online. 263 members and 4429 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X