300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumped.
    I just wanted to post a pic of my near complete rifle as its building was a direct result of this thread:

Its an LMT Upper
    CMMG Lower
    Magpul Accessories

I was originally interested in a CMMG upper but after waiting 6 weeks, they still couldn't give me an honest ETA. So a buddy of mine, who works at a shop a few miles awaysold me an LMT upper which had the 3 features I was interested in (1:7, chrome lined & limetime warranty)
    I just am waiting on the LaRue BUIS (great company & great people by the way) and would like to put some ambi controls on it as I shoot lefty.

So, thanks again jwise and contributers for the knowledge on this site. Its been a fun learning experience.
    -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
    -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Looks almost exactly like mine except my upper is a CMMG M4. But I still have the cheap m4 handguard on it. Need more money…What handguard did you go with?

My LaRue BUIS should be at my doorstep Wednesday. (ordered June 8th)

Comment

• Yes…Thank you jwise…I too built a rifle because of this thread.

Comment

• I went with a surefire handguard

I also put a LaRue QD bipod mount on the lower rail, just ahead of the vertical grip.
          -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
          -Daniel Silva

Comment

• just an update on the BCM uppers. the 16" middy's are in the retailers, so if you have been looking for these, buy it now. Price on mine was $449 (no hardguards, no BCG). good luck. now i have to consider the wisdom of buying a second one, in case Obama gets in.
            Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• I just heard rumors of CMMG making a 16" gas piston upper. Jwise, have you heard anything, or seen any of these?
              Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                9 weeks and counting on my lower from CMMG with absolutely no ETA.
                Sorry to hear it. A buddy of mine just got his CMMG upper he's been waiting on for a bit. He's pretty stoked, and looking forward to putting his rifle all together.

I've been seeing CMMG lowers all over the place locally (both DFW and Houston), so I'm wondering if more stores are stocking stripped lowers, slowing up delivery.
                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Vtoxic,
                  I don't know what kind of price you are getting currently, but Cold War Shooters has CMMG lowers in stock for $149.

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/

Comment

• BUMP>>>
                    Very informative thanks.
                    Renegade

sigpic

It's not the size of the man in the fight, but the fight in the man!!!!!!!!!
                    " Not Sure Who Said It"

Comment

• Hey, Jwise:

I'm in the market for another Colt AR. I had a Colt AR-15A3 for ten years until I regrettably had to sell. I was very satisfied with the weapon, even though I had a couple notable QC issues. The first was a fascinating problem with the weapon double and triple-tapping and firing when the trigger was pulled and then when it was released. Colt promptly fixed the problem. I had argued for years that the front sight was not centered and grew very tired of having to crank my rear all the way to the left to zero. Colt again fixed this.

I am going to be getting another AR soon. Keisler's Police Supply has a clearance on LMT's. $930 on letterhead and Colt AR-15A3's for $1088. They currently don't have any 6920's in stock.

Most of this post has been about the M4. How does the AR-15A3 rate in the general scheme of things? I know it doesn't have double heat shields, M4 feed ramps or the latest must-have barrel profile. I am amazed at the number of officers that obsess about that, but have no idea that it is for mounting an M203.

Thanks for any info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanguard2279 View Post
                        Hey, Jwise:

I'm in the market for another Colt AR. I had a Colt AR-15A3 for ten years until I regrettably had to sell. I was very satisfied with the weapon, even though I had a couple notable QC issues. The first was a fascinating problem with the weapon double and triple-tapping and firing when the trigger was pulled and then when it was released. Colt promptly fixed the problem. I had argued for years that the front sight was not centered and grew very tired of having to crank my rear all the way to the left to zero. Colt again fixed this.

I am going to be getting another AR soon. Keisler's Police Supply has a clearance on LMT's. $930 on letterhead and Colt AR-15A3's for $1088. They currently don't have any 6920's in stock.

Most of this post has been about the M4. How does the AR-15A3 rate in the general scheme of things? I know it doesn't have double heat shields, M4 feed ramps or the latest must-have barrel profile. I am amazed at the number of officers that obsess about that, but have no idea that it is for mounting an M203.

Thanks for any info.
                        The profile isn't JUST for mounting an M203, as it is much lighter than the HBAR profile found on many "M4s."

I'd be all over that LMT for $930. I think that's a no-brainer...
                        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Obviously, it doesn't take that many rounds sent downrange for a barrel to get HOT, but the heavier diameter of the A3 barrel will keep it cooler for longer. The weight was never an issue for me. If this is only a matter of weight, it didn't bother me to begin with.

My actual question hence, How does the A3 stack up against the other contenders on the Mil-Spec chart, i.e. shot-peened bolt, various pressure tests, MPI, etc? Of course, I would rather have a 6920 or the LMT over the A3, but how about comparing it to RRA, S&W, Stag, etc?

I'm getting a new AR soon and want to start with a good base. I finally have the assets to set it up exactly as I want it. I DO appreciate your knowledge and opinions in this matter.

I like the idea of the 1/7 twist as I'm going to explore some of the heavier bullet weights. M885 and 64-gr. PP's did shoot well out of the 1/9.

As an aside, I have had a number of other firearms instructors and retailers tell me about reliability issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P. Anybody else heard anything of interest?

And yes, my profile says Correctional Officer, but I spent 11 of my 12 years in rural patrol before coming to the prison system to further my criminal justice education. And, OH have I seen and learned things that I never wanted to,....... Yes, there really are large men known as Big Pretty.
                          Last edited by Vanguard2279; 09-06-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Unfortunately I cannot help you with specifics pertaining to other Colt products. I personally don't like Colt, the company, and therefore do not consider their products outside of that which is most common and sought-after (the LE6920.)

Suffice it to say the LMT will be the best rifle between it and any Colt you choose to match it against. The LE6920 can hold its own, and has a couple benefits (on paper), but the LMT is tops in its class.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Jwise, thanks for providing all the information in this thread. I was about to place an order on a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T, thinking it was a good deal for the price with all the additional options.

After some more research and internal debate, I opted to buy a CMMG upper and lower [separately, of course].

I received the lower in less than a week. The upper came in a week and a half after placing the order. Just reading the various boards, I was a little wary of the potential wait time and less-than-responsive customer service. I can't complain about the turnaround of the order, as the rifle was in my hands before the listed wait time.

The customer service when answering e-mails was a little hit-or-miss. I'd get one line replies through e-mail. However, when I called, the staff was very helpful. Overall, I was very happy with the experience and the quality of the product. Having all the build-to-order options was something I really appreciated about CMMG.

Here's a picture of my more-or-less completed rifle, a CMMG 16" Mid-Length, Medium Contour rifle.

The rifle was half-naked up until Saturday when I finally received my Omega Rail 12.0. The BUIS are Troy. Magpul CTR Stock and MIAD grip. GG&G Vertical foregrip. Smith Vortex Flash Hider and an Eotech 512 for the optic.

I have a Gear Sector 2-Point sling and have been trying out various configurations. I think I'll need to get a sling mount to put further forward on the handguad.

If I could do it again, I'd opt for the government profile barrel, as the rifle with all the doo-dads is pretty hefty. I just need to stock up on some cheap ammo and get some quality trigger time in.

All in all, I saved several hundred dollars and got pretty much every option I wanted and some I didn't even know I needed until I read this thread.
                              Last edited by blackhand_0078; 09-07-2008, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Nice rifle!!! Can I come help you sacrifice some ammo to the god of war???
                                Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10220 users online. 486 members and 9734 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X