Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That rig makes me feel all funny inside.

Comment

• As for the ACOG, I have the TA31DOC with the armor Dr Optic housing. FWIW, I really do not like to use the Dr. Optic. I will still do up close stuff with the magnified ACOG. In the heat of the moment, my eye relief automatically goes to the ACOG aperture. I have to consciously think about using the Dr. Optic when I want to use it. Also the eye relief of the Dr Optic is not ideal and not easily maintained from a normal cheek weld.

For non-magnified, I personally like the EOtech slightly raised, I run the 553 with the ARMS and it is a bit higher of a mounting point. As mentioned above it allows for a the BUIS to be located in the bottom third, to three-quarters of the aperture. I also like the Aimpoint but not currently running one on my duty rifles.
      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by crowbar View Post
        The reason for my rant is that on my RRA I have the Eotech. It is convenient and "accurate" but the reticle bothers the he11 out of me. It seems broken up and blurry. I like magnification but dont want to go to a powered scope because I like the fast target aquisition. I have been looking into the trijicon. I am not sure what model, but it is a 4x scope with a red dot mounted on top (2 in one) calibrated to the .223. Does anybody have experience with this scope? Or is there anything else worth looking into. Ohh and I dont like the reflex sights, the FOV is too small.
        It shouldn't be fuzzy if you are looking "through" the optic, and not focusing on the reticle. Focus on the target!

If you really want an optic that is as fast as a non-magnified optic, but can give you magnified capabilities, look into this:

It's a picture of my 16" HBAR with a Meopta K-Dot sight. The K-Dot is a 1-4X scope with an illuminated dot reticle. The scope can be adjusted to a "true" 1X magnification, which mimics the 1X EOTechs and Aimpoints. It does have a bit of parallax, but it's not bad.

With just a twist of the wrist, you can have your scope set to 4X, which gives you a substantial advantage in the field.
        Last edited by jwise; 07-30-2008, 04:57 AM.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
            I guess I just want to know why he is (or is not) full of it.
            Please re-read page 1. I feel that it answers the question to my satisfaction.
            J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
              Jwise (or anyone else in the know), I'm curious about a comment made early in the thread about DPMS not being that great. I'm sure you have a good reason for saying so, I'm just wondering what the reason(s) may be.
              DPMS does not test their products to as high a standard as others and their QC is not as high.

There are quite a few instances of DPMS bolts breaking during carbine classes. If you compare a DPMS lower parts kit to a RRA/CMT/LMT parts kit, it is also apparent that they are lower quality. Chambers can also be out of spec.

They are fine for plinkers and the 3-gun guys swear by them, but if you are going to use them for duty you better check it over.

I have not seen a DPMS go down, but people I respect have.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• From page 1, post #5 (the chart.)

DPMS rifles do not come with the following specs:

MPI Bolt
                  Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt
                  Shot Peened Bolt
                  Black extractor spring insert
                  Properly Staked Gas Key
                  M16 Bolt Carrier
                  Milspec Barrel Steel
                  MPI Barrel
                  Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel
                  1:7 twist rifling
                  M4 feedramps
                  F-Marked front sight base
                  Milspec diameter receiver extension
                  Staked castle nut
                  H Buffer
                  Parkerizing under front sight base
                  Double Heat-shielded handguards
                  No Lifetime Warranty

As I stated in post #17:

"These are well on down the slippery slope that separates the "fighting rifles" from the "recreational shooters." Please observe the difference, and do not recommend a plinker as a serious combat arm."
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, but I repeat myself a LOT less than before I wrote it. The SAME question "which brand AR?" was asked every two weeks, which prompted the same people to give their SAME answers, most of which were useless.

I'm happy to help.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• i searched a few of the entries and didn't see the info, so hopefully i'm not repeating updates that have already been shared.

for the folks that are building their AR's and looking for good uppers, BCM is finally getting their supply lines active again. BCM rejected a couple of the previous orders due to quality control issues, but they now have the 16" M4 configuration, and are expecting the 11.5" M4, 14.5" M4 and the 16" middy very shortly. It was a toss up for me, between the Noveske N4 and the BCM 16" middy, but i'm opting for the BCM http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...-urg-m4-16.htm. hope this helps others.
                        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• How much for the complete uppers?

BCM builds great stuff, and they don't cut corners. They cater to those who "know" what they want, and enjoy a great reputation.

I look forward to getting my hands on one of their complete uppers...
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• BUMP...

I just started benefiting from this thread myself. I want to keep it where I can find it.
                            ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              How much for the complete uppers?

BCM builds great stuff, and they don't cut corners. They cater to those who "know" what they want, and enjoy a great reputation.
                              looking at their site, they had the 16" m4 for $449, so i'm assuming the 16" middy will be the same. a couple other sites that handle the BCM gear also has it listed for the same price. That price is just the upper/barrel/FS/gas tube; no BCG, slide, hand guards, ect. now it's just a waiting game.

FYI, BCM is already out of stock on what they had recently received, and many of their retail customers also indicated very fast depletion of stock. So if you are looking to pick up one, see if you can pre-order, or make sure to check the sites everyday. Good luck.
                              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Just thought I should say thanks. This thread has been very informative and I appreciate the time jwise has put into it.
                                "Do or Do Not.............There is no try."
                                -Jedi Master Yoda

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14437 users online. 454 members and 13983 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X