Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a S&W M&P 15 OR carbine. Now I wish that I had just gotten a new series mini-14.
    It's not really the rifles fault. It is a very well made rifle and seems to want to shoot.
    Part of the problem is S&W. When you contact them, they know nothing about firearms.
    With mine, I spent two weeks trying to get a 50 yard zero, first, it was shooting about 2 feet low at 25 yards with my BUIS (shoots great with the c-more), so I bought a 1/4" riser, then it shot about two feet high. I was flummoxed, WTF???
    So I contacted S&W, they couldn't answer my question, but they did tell me that Troy industries made the front sight/gas block.
    So I called Troy, they said the gas block is the same height as the flat top receiver and my front sight was too tall.
    Fair enough, I ordered a set of their back-up sights. It took over TWO WEEKS to get them (Troy sat on the order for one week, UPS takes nine days to get things from upper east coast to south texas). So, I anxiously awaited the arrival of my new sights, finally got them, installed them (had to look on their web site for pictures, 250 bucks doesn't buy any instructions) and now my rifle only shoots a 6 inches high, I did finally get a 25 yard zero of sorts, the front sight post was backed so far out that I could see daylight from the bottom of the pin base and the top of the front sight base. Of course I couldn't get consistent hits because when backed out that far, it wiggles. A 50 yard zero is out of the question. So I ordered a taller sight pin from Midway and told them to send it USPS, since that NORMALLY takes 2 to 3 days instead of the 6 to 9 for UPS. In 2 more days it will be 2 weeks since they shipped it and still no front sight post, lost in the mail.
    I believe part of the problem lies int he 16" barrel and rather short sight radius.

So, with the first set of sights that didn't work, a riser I didn't need, a new set of sights that don't work and a missing front sight pin, I've got 1400 bucks wrapped up in a patrol rifle that I can't take on patrol because I can't register the sights.

With a 580 series mini-14 I would be out less than 1/2 of that and have a patrol rifle in the back of my cruiser.

Ultimately, a lot of this could have been avoided if S&W would include in their description of the rifle that the front sight needs to be of the variety that goes on a picatinny rail fore-end instead of the normal gas block, which tends to be lower, I would have at least ordered the correct sights the first time.

Comment

• Yeah, that stinks. I've been there.

That is one of the many reasons I recommend people to buy rifles with FIXED F-MARKED FRONT SIGHT BASES. They work with aftermarket backup iron sights.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
        The only reason (to me) to raise up the EOTech, is if you want the optic zeroed at a different point of aim than the sights. Silly, if you ask me, but some people do different things...
        This is one point that I disagree with jwise. It probably comes from my penchant for fixed irons on a fighting rifle. I like to run a 1/3 co-witness. This allows me to use the optic by looking over the irons and still have the reticle centered in the display. You still get the benefit of zero confirmation since the EOTech is parallax free. When you sight through the irons the dot should still ride the front sight if it's correctly zeroed.

If you do not run fixed BUIS, then use the standard mounts. No reason to run an optic high unless you need it for gas mask clearance or other issues.

One of these days I am going to get some pictures sighting THROUGH my rig so that I can just post a picture for why I do what I do.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
          This is one point that I disagree with jwise. It probably comes from my penchant for fixed irons on a fighting rifle. I like to run a 1/3 co-witness. This allows me to use the optic by looking over the irons and still have the reticle centered in the display. You still get the benefit of zero confirmation since the EOTech is parallax free. When you sight through the irons the dot should still ride the front sight if it's correctly zeroed.
          HO-LY-CRAP! Ever had one of those days where the stars line up and you see what was obvious to everyone else? I feel like the biggest idiot ever. I (for some stupid reason) always thought the raised optic would shift the reticle to be zeroed at a different position than the sights. I NOW realize I was incredibly WRONG.

While I STILL think it's just fine to mount your EOTech directly to the rails, and forego the QD mount, I now see that there is no real disadvantage to using the lower 1/3rd co-witness. It is still truly "Co-Witnessed."

Sorry about all the confusion and misinformation, people....
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Hey, Blackdog!? We're in total agreement again!
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Thank you both. A LaRue QD it is! Just waiting on the backordered CTR stock and I'm done. I built an LMT/CMMG soley based on this thread. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks Mr. Wise
              -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
              -Daniel Silva

Comment

• I look forward to seeing the final product!
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Started to build my first AR:

CMMG lower
                  UTG M-4 collapsible stock
                  GG&G tactical upper (w/mean tactical suppressor)
                  TBI tactical light w/pressure switch on vertical foregrip
                  Eotech holo, co-witnessed with collapsible BUIS.

Need charging handle & bolt carrier group. Any ideas on good brands?

Comment

I look forward to seeing the final product!
                    jwise, your guide helped me greatly in building/putting together my AR. Not that you asked to see mine, but here's my AR for patrol. Lemme know what you think.

"You will face fear and pain. Do not listen; they will only give you excuses to quit..." -LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Comment

• Originally posted by SWATCybercop View Post
                      Started to build my first AR:

CMMG lower
                      UTG M-4 collapsible stock
                      GG&G tactical upper (w/mean tactical suppressor)
                      TBI tactical light w/pressure switch on vertical foregrip
                      Eotech holo, co-witnessed with collapsible BUIS.

Need charging handle & bolt carrier group. Any ideas on good brands?
                      Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) makes some GREAT bolt carriers. They are simply called "BCM bolt carriers."

Good luck!
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ARB View Post
                        jwise, your guide helped me greatly in building/putting together my AR. Not that you asked to see mine, but here's my AR for patrol. Lemme know what you think.
                        Thanks for sharing! What kind of upper is that? Did it come with that flip-up front sight/gas block, or did you put that on yourself?

Is that muzzle device a flash suppressor, or just a compensator? Who makes it?
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

I believe it's a Troy Medieval Brake. IIRC it's not the best at flash suppression but makes for a GREAT meat tenderizer. They do make a "flash suppressor" version, but the muzzle is more open like the A2 FS.
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Thanks for sharing! What kind of upper is that? Did it come with that flip-up front sight/gas block, or did you put that on yourself?

It's a DPMS upper. It didn't come with the flip-up front sight; that was an add-on, made by Yankee Hill if I remember correctly.

The above post is correct. Troy Industries makes the muzzle brake. It retails for $40 or so, and it adds a sick to it.
                            "You will face fear and pain. Do not listen; they will only give you excuses to quit..." -LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Comment

• I am sure there were optics questions on here, but I got lazy and skipped to the end to try and get an answer. I am on my second and final AR. I started with a "Budget" bushmaster. I bought it because it was the most affordable thing at the time. For the price it was O.K. I had a bushnell holosight on it. For those of you who dont know, it is the same thing as the Eotech. Anyway, I upgraded to a Rock River Mid-M4. The best investment I have ever made. Rock River advertises 1 MOA at 100 yds garuntee. I have NO problem making that with the right conditions. It is for sure the most accurate AR I have ever touched. The reason for my rant is that on my RRA I have the Eotech. It is convenient and "accurate" but the reticle bothers the he11 out of me. It seems broken up and blurry. I like magnification but dont want to go to a powered scope because I like the fast target aquisition. I have been looking into the trijicon. I am not sure what model, but it is a 4x scope with a red dot mounted on top (2 in one) calibrated to the .223. Does anybody have experience with this scope? Or is there anything else worth looking into. Ohh and I dont like the reflex sights, the FOV is too small.
                              Pro Deo et Patria

Comment

• The trijicon you speak of is the ACOG with the red dot reflex sight on top right? (Pic Below)

Or the one with the Docter sight?

Either way, you're looking at spending close to $1200-$1500 for a new one.

The setup is fantastic, used it a lot my last deployment, however the dot sight is, IIRC, 7MOA and it's primary purpose is as "secondary" sight to the ACOG. It's intended use is for quick and dirty CQB shots when your target pops up close or if your ACOG goes down for some reason.

If you're looking for a very good sight besides the EOTech, I would recommend the AIMPoint with a 2MOA reticle. You said you don't like the FOV issue, but as long as you shoot with both eyes open (like you're supposed to) you'll get used to it and it'll be a non-issue.
                                Last edited by JTShooter; 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM.
                                “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7345 users online. 391 members and 6954 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X