300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
    The holograph is not affected by line of sight or whatever the heck they call it; whereas the red dot is. In other words, the red dot is a fixed point in the glass and you have to have proper line of sight for it to work, thus you would use your iron sights to make it work.

Totally Incorrect.

In either the EOTech or Aimpoint the optic is parallax free. This means no matter where your head is in relation to the reticle (dot) if you can see the dot the bullet will go where you place it.

The purpose for the fixed irons is that in a CQB enviroment you DO NOT have time to screw with things if your optic goes TU. I run fixed irons so that in the unlikely event that I step into that classroom and confront the shooter holding a kid hostage, AND my Aimpoint battery decides to die (highly unlikely) I can still look through the irons and place a shot in the t-box.

With no irons and an electronic optic, WHEN it fails you have to "point shoot". This is OK for cross-room body shots, but that may not be what it required.

The Aimpoint/EOTech argument usually comes down to what type of reticle you like. 2/4 MOA dot vs. 1 MOA dot and circle/crosshair. I like simple and I like stupid-durable with amazing battery life. So I picked the Aimpoint. I also like the fact that when it's pouring down rain and 33*F outside I can keep the caps closed until I get to the target house. This keeps me from having a wet fogged mess when it's time to go.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Since we're on this subject, I was considering an EOTech soon. The 2 mounts I'm looking at is a LaRue or a GG&G. The GG&G says their advantage is it does not raise the EOTech at all so the reticle is aligned with the iron sights. LaRue says they purposely raise their slightly above the BUIS so its easier to co-witness. Both are QD. Any thoughts and opinions on the pros & cons?
      For EOTech users, is anyone using a tritium front BUIS? If so, would it/does it interfere with the eotech in any way in a dark environment, glowing in the dark and all? Thanks
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Wow- This thread moved pretty quickly the last couple of days. I'll try to address a few issues in order.

Originally posted by Yebache View Post
        For those of us with less assembly and gunsmith experience, (I could very well be the only one here that fits that profile) what would you recommend? I'm interested in getting an AR-15 but like many others I'm faced with so many varieties and options. I know Jwise has gone into great detail listing his choices (I've read the thread) but would you recommend a good manufacturer out there that makes a fully complete rifle for a reasonable price? Kind of like a Home Theater in a Box...only in this case it would be a Home AR15 in a Box.
        First off, what do you mean by "fully complete rifle," and "AR15 in a box?" Do you mean one that comes with the lights, sights, rails, etc...? Or do you just mean a rifle that needs no changes or additions in order to functionally work?

For the former, I guess I'd suggest the RRA Gov't Model, as it is one of the only complete "kitted-out" rifles out there. It comes with an EOTech, Surefire weaponlight, railed forearm, BUIS, etc... It's approx $2500.

For the latter, the easiest way to ensure you get a rifle that is perfect "out of the box," is to get the Colt LE6920. They only make it in one flavor, and its a good one.

I guess I'm the guy that wants really good speakers but doesn't know enough about audio equipment to buy everything individually. Sorry to be "that guy".
        I've been there myself...

I like the CMMG, LMT, and RRA. CMMG and RRA seem reasonably priced but Jwise stated "its a buy if you get the right things". This is what I mean, i don't know what the heck are the right things.
        While getting the "right thing" with RRA can be difficult (probably have to order it), the CMMG is much easier, however you still have to order it! Unfortunately, I've never seen a local shop who is a stocking dealer for CMMG. At least, not YET!

I'm not going into combat tomorrow, I'm just a husband/father that wants to prepare for the worst. I really liked Jwise's comment from earlier,
        "Patriots for generations have foregone personal luxuries in order to set themselves for victory against the evil in this world, be it a street thug, a wave of rioters, or an oppressive government."
        Hey- that's a great quote! I might have to steal that to use it in my sig line!

If you were looking to help a friend purchase an AR15 with a budget of around $1000, is there one place you would send him? Or maybe just exactly what you would tell him to buy?

Thanks.
        I'd tell him to go to CMMG's website, and click on the "uppers" button. Select the midlength 16" flattop upper with the standard gov't profile barrel. Buy it. Then click on the "firearms" button, and select the standard six-position lower. Be sure to make these purchases on different days, to avoid the 10% excise tax.

I wish CMMG would let me "build" my perfect rifle on their website, then link to it for everyone to use in their purchase decision. At least to use as a starting point. Oh well...
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PB3021 View Post
          To go with Yebache's ?, I'm looking at the Bushmaster M4A2 patrol rifle...I've seen it for roughly $900...I'm not rifle savy and won't use a scope and can't afford too many extras (maybe night sights). Is this a good buy and good weapon for patrol carry?
          I'm pretty sure I made it very clear I would not recommend a Bushmaster. Youd be better served with most of the others I reviewed.

Try CMMG, Sabre Defence, S&W, Stag, or RRA.
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I live in CT where, like your sig says, much of this does not apply to me...that is, without a pre-ban. I bought a pre-ban PWA lower about a month ago, added Stag Arms lower parts and an Ergo Suregrip. For my upper, I'm waiting for LWRC to get their new factory set up in MD and to get started on the M6A3. For magazines, I'm going to get the Magpul translucent ones (whatever they were called again...too lazy to do a search). Now, for my question:

How are the Vltor stocks compared to the Magpul CTRs? I don't know which one I want.
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

• Originally posted by Yebache View Post
              I know Jwise said no dice on getting a welded on flash hider. Would you get one to add on afterwards? Anything specific? Is this something that most people would have a gunsmith install?

What are the pros vs cons of getting one permanently welded on? I have heard arguments that they don't provide much function other than 'look cool'. If that's all it does then I'm with Jwise and I'll just get the 16 inch barrell.
              It's AMAZING to see the difference between a "naked" barrel, and one that has a flash hider. The naked barrel produces a HUGE ball of fire out of the front, while the one with the FH (flash hider) only produces a small puff of fire. The better FHs (Vortex, Phantom, etc) only produce a small spark. It's quite amazing.

Flash hiders were designed to be screwed on and off, but old bans and silly laws about barrel-length makes threaded-on flash hiders illegal in some instances.

If you follow my advice, and get a 16" barreled rifle, it will come with an A2 "birdcage" flash hider threaded onto the muzzle. It can be removed with a wrench, but be careful. It's on there pretty good, and if you use the stock to brace the rifle, you'll ruin the receiver extension tube. A receiver block in a vice is ideal, but you can probably break it free on your own. You can easily screw on a new Vortex or Phantom flash hider on your own. Just use a LITTLE bit of red loctite, not blue, and you will be able to get it back off when you want.
              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

I actually read and re-read the thread with everyone's take on everything and I think I will attempt to purchase the upper and lower separate and just get what I want.
                Knowledge is power, and I am glad to see you chose to empower yourself by taking the time to read/re-read the information I presented to you.

Congratulations!

It was all a little intimidating at first maybe because of the frequent use of acronyms.(BUIS, FH, etc.)
                I'm sorry we write in acronyms all the time. I REALLY try to write out the words at least once per post/thread, but it only goes so far to help, I know...

I'm only undecided about a few things.

Barrell Length:
                with 16 inch barrell do you really need a flash hider/suppressor. Jwise mentioned that it can protect your muzzle but he also mentioned not wanting to weld anything on. How hard is it to put on your own or switch them out?
                I obviously didn't do a very good job of explaining this issue, as you are the second to miss the point. My recommendation was to get the "standard" offering, which is an A2 "birdcage" flash hider threaded onto a 16" barrel, instead of a welded-on Phantom flash hider on a 14.5" barrel. I like the versatility that a threaded-on flash hider gives you, vs. the welded on kind. That is all.

BUIS: Jwise mentioned he would want a fixed BUIS with Red dot optics and flip up with ACOG sight. Any reason you would not want a flip up with a Red dot optic as well? Just seems like it would get in the way to me but this is why I'm asking.
                For starters, I should have explained WHY I would go with a flip-up for use with an ACOG. See, the ACOG is a MAGNIFIED optic, which protrudes back OVER the top of the folded down iron sight. If it did not fold, it would not fit. It is impossible to effectively use a fixed iron sight with a magnified optic (like the ACOG.)

The reason I want a fixed sight with a red dot optic is that it is the very best type of sight to use, and it works with the red dot. Do not think of the fixed iron sight as "getting in the way" of your red dot optic, think of it as being where it is SUPPOSED to be. Your optic is a SUPPLEMENT to your BUIS. Perhaps I should stop using the acronym BUIS, as I should be referring to it as your "primary sight which attaches in the rear and provides the aperature for use with the front sight." Nah, too long...

The red dot in both the EOTech and the Aimpoint can be used wherever they are in the occular lens (heads-up display.) If you see the dot, even if it is up in the very top of the visible range, it is still effective. In other words, you can practice looking OVER the rear sight, and using the dot higher up in your field of view. Furthermore, as you move your head up slightly off your rear stock, the rear sight is no longer in the way, and the aiming point (red dot) is easily visible. Only if the red dot goes dark, do you have to lower your head back to the stock in order to take an aimed shot using your rear sight.

This is a LOT harder to explain online than it is to experience for yourself.

Trigger: I've heard really good things about the 2 stage trigger. Good enough to pay out the extra cash?

Thanks!
                I've got a 2-stage trigger in four of my ARs, with plans to put one in a fifth.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 135dB View Post
                  Since we're on this subject, I was considering an EOTech soon. The 2 mounts I'm looking at is a LaRue or a GG&G. The GG&G says their advantage is it does not raise the EOTech at all so the reticle is aligned with the iron sights. LaRue says they purposely raise their slightly above the BUIS so its easier to co-witness. Both are QD. Any thoughts and opinions on the pros & cons?
                  For EOTech users, is anyone using a tritium front BUIS? If so, would it/does it interfere with the eotech in any way in a dark environment, glowing in the dark and all? Thanks
                  Just mount the EOTech to the top rail, and be done with it. It's already QD. If you HAVE to have the "lever" feature, then get the GG&G unit. One of the benefits of having the EOTech mounted in the direct line of sight (true co-witness), is that you can verify the EOTech is still zeroed after you remove it.

The only reason (to me) to raise up the EOTech, is if you want the optic zeroed at a different point of aim than the sights. Silly, if you ask me, but some people do different things...
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                    I live in CT where, like your sig says, much of this does not apply to me...that is, without a pre-ban. I bought a pre-ban PWA lower about a month ago, added Stag Arms lower parts and an Ergo Suregrip. For my upper, I'm waiting for LWRC to get their new factory set up in MD and to get started on the M6A3. For magazines, I'm going to get the Magpul translucent ones (whatever they were called again...too lazy to do a search).
                    Nice. I hope your LWRC works better than mine have. I'm still waiting for what will be my third upper. You know what they say, "third time's the charm!"

Now, for my question:

How are the Vltor stocks compared to the Magpul CTRs? I don't know which one I want.
                    I like the CTR stocks. They are cost-effective, are incredibly solid, and have QD sling swivel socket hardware. Good stocks, and a great value. I have three.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                      I'm pretty sure I made it very clear I would not recommend a Bushmaster. Youd be better served with most of the others I reviewed.

Try CMMG, Sabre Defence, S&W, Stag, or RRA.
                      I've seen the S&W for approx $850, the Bushmaster was $830. The S&W is a good buy? I'm not looking for lights or sights beyond the std...

Comment

• Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Jwise you really go above and beyond the call of duty to answer those questions! Really appreciate it!

I'll be visiting a family member that has several AR15s with optics so I'll have to check his out with the BUISes. Like you said Jwise, I think seeing it myself will be the best way to understand.

I'm pretty set on the CMMG with the setup you recommended. My only debate now is what pistol grip to use. The G27 pistol grip looks really sweet but my hands aren't huge and it would only work if its not too thick. I'll flip a coin if I'm not sure.

Comment

• From Page 1:

Bushmaster = "compromise buy."

Decide for yourself, but I would pick something else...
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Jwise,

When I click on the Guide to buying an AR15 it comes up blank. Hate to sound stupid but don't know too much about rifles. Is the S&W a good weapon? The Mini-14 is cheaper but is it not worth the lower price? Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

Comment

I'm pretty set on the CMMG with the setup you recommended. My only debate now is what pistol grip to use. The G27 pistol grip looks really sweet but my hands aren't huge and it would only work if its not too thick. I'll flip a coin if I'm not sure.
                              Try the Ergo grip. It is thin, and it is really nice. On top of that, it's only $18!
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PB3021 View Post
                                Jwise,

When I click on the Guide to buying an AR15 it comes up blank.
                                This is it! Go to page 1 and start reading!

Hate to sound stupid but don't know too much about rifles. Is the S&W a good weapon?
                                Go to page 1 and find out! I don't want to give away the ending!

The Mini-14 is cheaper but is it not worth the lower price? Or am I comparing apples to oranges?
                                Apples to Oranges. You shoul compare the AR to the H&K 93, H&K SL8/G36, AK-47/74, Sig 556, Robinson Arms XCR, FN FNC, FN SCAR-L, FN FS2000, Steyr Aug, Microtech MSTAR, Daewoo K2, Galil, etc...

The AR is a bargain compared to its true competition...
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10242 users online. 336 members and 9906 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X