Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered my CMMG 16” M4 upper 17 days ago and CMMG said it could take up to 2 more weeks. Getting impatient…. I want my new toy. The bad part is that I ordered my LPK with the upper, so I cannot build my lower in the meantime. By the way riflegear.com has the same upper cheaper and it says it ships within 24 hrs.
    Last edited by smith297; 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Is there any truth to the rumor that the upper on the S&W M&PT is made by CMMG?

Comment

• Originally posted by smith297 View Post
        Ordered my CMMG 16” M4 upper 17 days ago and CMMG said it could take up to 2 more weeks. Getting impatient…. I want my new toy. The bad part is that I ordered my LPK with the upper, so I cannot build my lower in the meantime. By the way riflegear.com has the same upper cheaper and it says it ships within 24 hrs.
        Bummed. I just called CMMG about the upper i ordered 2 weeks ago and was informed that there will be a 6-8 week wait I suggested that they notify their customers of these long waits and she treated me like i was crazy. I don't know if i can wait
        -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
        -Daniel Silva

Comment

• [QUOTE=135dB;1306279]Bummed. I just called CMMG about the upper i ordered 2 weeks ago and was informed that there will be a 6-8 week wait I suggested that they notify their customers of these long waits and she treated me like i was crazy. I don't know if i can wait[/QUOTE

I finally got my upper and LPK on 6/25. The wait was harsh, but worth it. Hang in there. Oh by the way they did not send me any notification that they had shipped my upper. It was a surprise when I found out that it had been sitting outside all day. I had also requested a gun manual with my upper, and they forgot it. So I emailed them and told them they forgot my manual and they charged me $6 for it. My request for the manual was even in the invoice they sent with the upper. Great product…bad customer service.

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• What barrel length are you looking at?
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Lower:
                  -Is there a certain buffer I should get, or just standard? (I seem to remember reading something about an H buffer, but I figured I'd ask anyway.)
                  For the 16 with standard gas system I would go with an H2.

If you are going to go with a permenant muzzle device I would HIGHLY suggest you go with a 14.5" barrel and a Phantom or Vortex flash suppressor. If you see a silencer in your future, then think about permenantly affixing one of the QD mounts.

Either way, with a 14.5" or 14.7" the H buffer seems to work fine. I have not had any issues with hot or slow ammo in mine.

-KNS Hammer and trigger anti-rotation pin upgrade? What would that even do for me?
                  Nothing really. I bought a set for grins because I think they look cool. I would probably use them on an irreplaceable M16 lower, but on a standard lower you would have to shoot for a couple lifetimes to wear out the holes enough to matter.

-The pivot pin upgrade, is that worth the $14? What would that do for me?
                  I am not even sure what kind of "upgrade" that is. I will have to check. But I would say offhand that it's not needed, since I have no idea what it is.

Upper:
                  -What is the benefit of the $189 LMT enhanced bolt and carrier group over the $125 enhanced bolt only? Is it worth the extra money? Or should I just get the EGRESS? I know jwise said he would spend the extra money on the LMT if he had the money "lying around," but I guess I just want a better idea of what I'm paying extra for.
                  I haven't hear anything bad about the LMT system, but I don't think it's really needed. I prefer a CMT/LMT/Colt BCG that has been High Pressure and MPI tested. I buy "Auto" carriers whenever I can because that is what the system was designed around and they are totally legal. In semi-auto guns.

-The charging handle upgrades, are any of them worthwhile?
                  The PRI Gas Buster is if you run suppressed. Otherwise, no. I have yet to see one that dosent get caught up in web gear or the enviroment or dosent damage the upper more than the stock unit. I have seen levers that hang WAY out off the side of the gun. That's just asking to bump the bolt out of battery. It only takes a nudge to do it.

-Sight post options, are any of them worth extra cash?
                  Tritium sights if you are running irons on a fighting gun. If you run an optic I would leave it with the standard. That's just my preference. If you are building on a flat top upper you want a "F" front sight base.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Unless you have just GOT to have the SHORTEST rifle that is commonly legal, I would suggest the 16" barrel, as it gives you OPTIONS in the future (suppressor attachment, ability to take off the front sight base, etc...)

The KNS anti-rotation pins keep the trigger and hammer pins from rotating. The rotating pins will eventually wear out the softer aluminum receiver. But as Blackdog said, I would only use them if in conjunction with a registered machinegun lower, as it would be OLD and WELL-USED, and will have the possibility of getting worn out. New receivers that will fire semi-auto only, will probably never be worn to the point of damage. However, it's something of a personal preference, and is a pretty cheap way to ensure a long-life out of your investment (especially if they ban them again!)

Blackdog's comments were spot-on, so I won't repeat him.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Questions for Jwise

For those of us with less assembly and gunsmith experience, (I could very well be the only one here that fits that profile) what would you recommend? I'm interested in getting an AR-15 but like many others I'm faced with so many varieties and options. I know Jwise has gone into great detail listing his choices (I've read the thread) but would you recommend a good manufacturer out there that makes a fully complete rifle for a reasonable price? Kind of like a Home Theater in a Box...only in this case it would be a Home AR15 in a Box. I'm reluctant to buy parts from all over and assemble the thing myself. Frankly, I don't want to screw anything up. I'd much rather have a complete platform to add onto. I'd probably be alright buying things separately if someone let me know where to buy it from.

I guess I'm the guy that wants really good speakers but doesn't know enough about audio equipment to buy everything individually. Sorry to be "that guy".

I like the CMMG, LMT, and RRA. CMMG and RRA seem reasonably priced but Jwise stated "its a buy if you get the right things". This is what I mean, i don't know what the heck are the right things.

I'm not going into combat tomorrow, I'm just a husband/father that wants to prepare for the worst. I really liked Jwise's comment from earlier,
                      "Patriots for generations have foregone personal luxuries in order to set themselves for victory against the evil in this world, be it a street thug, a wave of rioters, or an oppressive government."

If you were looking to help a friend purchase an AR15 with a budget of around $1000, is there one place you would send him? Or maybe just exactly what you would tell him to buy?

Thanks.

Comment

• To go with Yebache's ?, I'm looking at the Bushmaster M4A2 patrol rifle...I've seen it for roughly $900...I'm not rifle savy and won't use a scope and can't afford too many extras (maybe night sights). Is this a good buy and good weapon for patrol carry?

Comment

• +2 to Yebache's post

I'm interested in buying a complete AR since I'm pretty clueless about all the parts and whatnot. I'd be looking to mount a red-dot sight and gun light, but that's about it for extras. Maybe a suppressor down the road. I see the basic setups at the gunshops, but I don't know enough to know what I'd be getting, or whether it's quality or not.

Another consideration for me is cold-weather reliability. I don't know if one or another stands up better to sub-freezing temperatures, but if anyone knows anything about that or has recommendations that'd be great.
                          "All that is, ever
                          Ever was, will be, ever
                          Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

• One more question for Jwise

I know Jwise said no dice on getting a welded on flash hider. Would you get one to add on afterwards? Anything specific? Is this something that most people would have a gunsmith install?

What are the pros vs cons of getting one permanently welded on? I have heard arguments that they don't provide much function other than 'look cool'. If that's all it does then I'm with Jwise and I'll just get the 16 inch barrell.

Comment

• Unless you have a dire and immediate need for a rifle, which would be very suspicious, building one up from the ground is a great learning experience. I ordered the cmmg upper separate from the lower
                              See, you already lost me....I don't know what an "upper" or "lower" is, hence wanting a more complete package. I don't need it instantaneously or anything, I just don't have a lot of time to research each part individually or have any way to really know what I would ultimately want. Nothing suspicious about that...I'm just ignorant and don't have a lot of extra time to play expensive legos. I'm sure building my own would be great learning experience, though.

I've seen Bushmasters at the shop and almost gotten one. It's basically the blank rifle. No optics or any other frills, but I've heard good things about them.
                              "All that is, ever
                              Ever was, will be, ever
                              Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

• Okay, I Take Back My Original Post

I actually read and re-read the thread with everyone's take on everything and I think I will attempt to purchase the upper and lower separate and just get what I want.
                                It was all a little intimidating at first maybe because of the frequent use of acronyms.(BUIS, FH, etc.) I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now with the idea of buying everything separate. I think I agree with the previous post in that it would be a good learning experience to do it this way.

I'm only undecided about a few things.

Barrell Length:
                                with 16 inch barrell do you really need a flash hider/suppressor. Jwise mentioned that it can protect your muzzle but he also mentioned not wanting to weld anything on. How hard is it to put on your own or switch them out?
                                BUIS: Jwise mentioned he would want a fixed BUIS with Red dot optics and flip up with ACOG sight. Any reason you would not want a flip up with a Red dot optic as well? Just seems like it would get in the way to me but this is why I'm asking.
                                Trigger: I've heard really good things about the 2 stage trigger. Good enough to pay out the extra cash?

Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8499 users online. 420 members and 8079 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X