Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 29474 View Post
    Question for Jwise and others:

Does the added pressure from suppressed fire cause accelerated damage to the rifle? If so, what parts are needed to minimize the damage?
    Yes. It causes a pressure spike in the chamber, making extraction difficult. It can break extractors, bolt lugs, or even bolts. To minimize this effect, use heavy buffers, extra power buffer springs (Tubbs flatwire springs) and be sure you have the extra power extractor spring installed (has the black insert.)

Furthermore, you could get an enhanced bolt, like the LWRC ACB or the LMT Enhanced bolt. They come with bigger, beefier extractors.

I use a RRA CAR A4 with an 11.5" barrel and a Surefire FA556K suppressor. (see photos on the other thread soon).
    Nice.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Ordered my CTR stock with milspec buffer/spring and tube for $142 fromm PK Firearms. (it also came with the rubber butt stock pad. ) PK inspected it and I got all the right parts. Ordered it on sun and it arrived today. Good Company.
      Now I am waiting on my CMMG upper…

Comment

• I run a suppressed 14.5" with the standard items and a "H" buffer without any issues but I may be the minority.

On the shorty I am building I will be using a 9mm buffer, M16 carrier and probably a crane o-ring.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Never had any issues with my suppressed M4geries. The only "added" feature I have that Jwise listed is the enhanced bolt from LMT.

It just depends on how often you shoot it in that configuration and what type of ammo you're using.

Then again I'm OCD about all my parts and always check them after firing.
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• You don't necessarily need ALL those parts, and sometimes you don't need any. It all depends on the suppressor you're using, and how the rifle is "timed" to begin with. Some suppressors have a worse backpressure issue thhan others.
            J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I have a quick question... my department regulations say it has to be .223 Rem, and the only ammo we're supposed to have it in on duty is department issued (so I'm guessing I will be issued .223)... does that still work with the 5.56 barrel?

Also, reference your suggestion to get the upper and lower seperate... I looked on CMMG's website and could only find lowers seperate.. am I looking in the wrong spot?
              Brass sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imockdeath View Post
                I have a quick question... my department regulations say it has to be .223 Rem, and the only ammo we're supposed to have it in on duty is department issued (so I'm guessing I will be issued .223)... does that still work with the 5.56 barrel?

Also, reference your suggestion to get the upper and lower seperate... I looked on CMMG's website and could only find lowers seperate.. am I looking in the wrong spot?
                Well, I would let someone else answer as they are doing a fine job in this thread but since you have been waiting a day on an answer here it is....In short Yes.

Yes, you can shoot a .223 out of a 5.56 but it is strongly recommended not to do it the other way around. The way the leade (the distance from the casing to the barrel aka throat) on the .223 is about twice as much. In precision rifles as an example the leade or throat space is just about the most if not the most critical component to a rifles accuracy. Therefore a .223 will suffer a slight decrease in accuracy from a 5.56 chambered weapon due to this and possible velocity differences, but moreso from the leade spacing. Amount of differeces can vary from gun to gun just like any weapon. There are other nuances or differences and some differences are load dependant. Some possible differences being casing thickness and chamber pressures which could lead to a host of possible issues.

We personally shoot .223 out of our Colt M4's (5.56) because we are also allowed to carry AR15's (.223) and the ammo issue is more easily addressed this way than ordering or stocking both with the possiblity of using the wrong round in the wrong weapon.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Imockdeath View Post
                  I have a quick question... my department regulations say it has to be .223 Rem, and the only ammo we're supposed to have it in on duty is department issued (so I'm guessing I will be issued .223)... does that still work with the 5.56 barrel?

.223rem feeds fine in 5.56NATO chambers. 5.56NATO does not feed too well in .223rem chambers. You'll be fine.

You're looking in the wrong place. You should be able to find "complete lowers" and "complete uppers" on their website. It won't be under the "firearms" section, but under the "uppers" section.
                  Last edited by jwise; 06-12-2008, 10:54 PM.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
                    Well, I would let someone else answer as they are doing a fine job in this thread but since you have been waiting a day on an answer here it is....In short Yes.
                    Actually, you answered about half an hour after I posted... so thank for the quick reply guys!
                    Brass sucks.

Comment

• Does anyone know how long it takes to get a CMMG 16" M4 upper from CMMG?

Comment

• Originally posted by smith297 View Post
                        Does anyone know how long it takes to get a CMMG 16" M4 upper from CMMG?
                        I put my order in at 7:00am yesterday and haven't heard anything yet. But when i ordered the lower a few monthes ago, they shipped it to the local shop in about a week
                        -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                        -Daniel Silva

Comment

• It depends. Probably a week, no more than a month. It all depends on their supply chain and batch manufacturing process.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• It took about two weeks for ny 14.7 M4 upper to arrive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                              Why Tan you may ask, becasue I live in the freakin desert, thats why GOT HEAT??
                              Well I was crawling around in that damn desert in May. Right when you guys set record temps for the month of May, 112*. Damn rocks burned right through the BDU's. You can keep your damn dry heat!
                              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Nothing worse then picking up you black rifle and having it start to burn through your gloves....
                                “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9881 users online. 425 members and 9456 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X