300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lalakai View Post
    Excellent thread; very much appreciated.

Need to pick your brain on the buffer. I'm building an M4, planning on using the BCM Adjustable stock with a 14.5" or 16" barrel. I've seen where there is an option for the "H Buffer", or "H2 Buffer", and not sure how that relates to the configuration i'm looking at. I think the H2 might apply if i was going with a shorter barrel, but not sure. That's where i need your help. Thanks in advance

not sure if it's relevent to the buffer issue, but i'm using a Rock River lower, with a CMT semi auto BCG. Wanting to go with BCM upper but they seem in short supply.
    For starters, I LOVE your avatar! The sniper from Saving Private Ryan was my absolute favorite character.

The H2 Buffer is meant for shooting with shorter barrels, as it delays unlocking time which in turn reduces the pressure in the chamber during extraction, which in turn increases the reliability of the weapon.

For 16" barrels, the H-Buffer should be fine.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
      For starters, I LOVE your avatar! The sniper from Saving Private Ryan was my absolute favorite character.

The H2 Buffer is meant for shooting with shorter barrels, as it delays unlocking time which in turn reduces the pressure in the chamber during extraction, which in turn increases the reliability of the weapon.

For 16" barrels, the H-Buffer should be fine.
      lol when i seen that sniper pic, had to have it.

it's a bit of struggle for me to build the M4 in an "urban" package, as most of my shooting desire is methodical precision shooting, more in tune with sniper aspects. Our department trains and carries the M4 in a carbine package, and for most of the shooting situations i'm likely to face, it will be short range situations so........

thanks for the feedback on the buffer; now i can order my stock and buffer set up. I will stay with the 16" barrel, and if BCM isn't going to restock in the near future, may have to look at other configurations. You started me researching the CHF barrels and they look ideal and worth the price, but do you know where the barrels can be purchased as stand alone units? i've found uppers that use them, but i would rather piece my M4 together with the items that I want. I know that Noveske uses CHF on two of their configurations, and H&K uses them also. but neither will sell just the barrel. Sabre Defense is a possibility, but their website is down. Thanks again
      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• I just bought a stripped CMMG lower and I now need the buffer tube and buttstock. I plan on putting on a Magpul CTR stock, but they do not sell the stock w/ the buffer tube. Where can I find the complete kit/reputable dealer? (This is my first build)
        Thanks

Also I will need a CAR Stock Wrench right???
        Last edited by smith297; 06-08-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Personal Opinion here:

I like the Colt AR SP1, guess its because of using the 16A1 in SE Asia. I like it for Multi Gun and 3 Gun Matches. Like in the Army, I put a 250 BSZ and it works great.

BUT: I shoot High Power. I got my Dist. badge with the M14/M1A while shooting or the Gurad. But in going with the flow, I'm trying the AR in high power, of course the SP1 wont shoot the heavy bullets so I got a White Oak Service Rifle Upper, and match trigger. Just had to pour some #8 shot in the buttstock to balance the heavy WOA Barrel. Its a shooter.

Like I said, its just my opinion. What ever works.

Comment

• Sorry if this has been posted before, but I have been shopping around and I am going between the CMMG and Bushmaster. I have been speaking with one retailer and he stated:

"CMMG I have no data on. I do know that they only have the 1/7 twist barrels which does not shoot the 55 grain bullets very well. This is why most companies use the 1/9 twist. The military uses 1/7 because they only use the heavier bullets and they must shoot the same as the tracer rounds."

I must add he sells Bushmaster.
            illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• That bottom portion about him selling bushmaster tells you what you need to know.

If Jwise likes CMMG, then you can't go wrong. I'm a LMT guy, but I plan on trying out CMMG in the near future.

And the twist information is a bit off....
              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Originally posted by smith297 View Post
                I just bought a stripped CMMG lower and I now need the buffer tube and buttstock. I plan on putting on a Magpul CTR stock, but they do not sell the stock w/ the buffer tube. Where can I find the complete kit/reputable dealer? (This is my first build)
                Thanks

Also I will need a CAR Stock Wrench right???
                I was going to post the exact same question as I'm in the same situation.
                -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Ranier Arms and a couple others sell the "Mil-Spec" CTR kit complete with buffer, extension and spring.

You will need a CAR or M4 stock wrench. The CAR will work on the M4, but IIRC the M4 wrench will not work on the CAR stock nut. I just use the DPMS armorers wrench.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• baby 012.jpg

baby 006.jpg

baby 004.jpg

baby 008.jpg

Some pictures of my new baby.
                    S&W M&P15 OR. It is wearing a C-more, awaiting the arrival of a set of Troy BUIS.
                    These are pics for JWISE, please disregard the dirty chamber, I took the pics before cleaning (honest).
                    I thought you might like to see the feed ramps etc...
                    So far, I am very pleased, it seems to be very well made, good fit and finish and seemingly good attention to detail. The gas block is made by Troy, so I talked to them and ordered a set of their sights.
                    Before all of you start telling me to upgrade my optics, take a look at the thread about the EOTECH's.
                    Spending big bucks does not ensure quality, besides, I already had the c-more, I took it off a moon-clipped 8 shot Taurus that was an IPSC/ICORE gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by tedgmcc View Post
                      Sorry if this has been posted before, but I have been shopping around and I am going between the CMMG and Bushmaster. I have been speaking with one retailer and he stated:

"CMMG I have no data on. I do know that they only have the 1/7 twist barrels which does not shoot the 55 grain bullets very well. This is why most companies use the 1/9 twist. The military uses 1/7 because they only use the heavier bullets and they must shoot the same as the tracer rounds."

I must add he sells Bushmaster.
                      HHHMMMM......I shoot 55 grain FMJ out of my 1/7 twist LMT AR's all the time without any issues. The barrel lengths range from 10.5" to 16".
                      "Life's goal should not be to show up at your final resting spot in a well rested, well preserved body ready to pass on.... But rather sliding in side ways late for your own passing, tired, beaten down and yelling holy $hit what a ride!!!!!"

Comment

• 1/7 is about the most "user friendly" twist rate available when compared to the other "standard" twists of 1/9 or 1/12.

You can pretty much shoot anything out of it without too much trouble.
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                          Ranier Arms and a couple others sell the "Mil-Spec" CTR kit complete with buffer, extension and spring.

You will need a CAR or M4 stock wrench. The CAR will work on the M4, but IIRC the M4 wrench will not work on the CAR stock nut. I just use the DPMS armorers wrench.
                          As always, Blackdog is spot-on. Thanks for chiming in with the info.

I would HIGHLY suggest buying the kit from Ranier, as the CTR stock can come in "Mil-Spec" or "Commercial" tube dimensions, and I'd hate for you (or the vendor) to screw up and order/ship the wrong parts. Some vendors themselves don't understand this issue, and just say their tubes are mil-spec without knowing any better. Buying it as a kit will avoid this issue.

I just bought my fourth CTR stock over the weekend. I love those things! I have one without the rubber piece on the buttstock. The three others have it. I would suggest ensuring the one you're getting DOES HAVE the rubber piece.

Get the M4 stock wrench, and you'll be fine. I'm sure the castle nut the kit comes with will be M4 type.
                          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                            1/7 is about the most "user friendly" twist rate available when compared to the other "standard" twists of 1/9 or 1/12.

You can pretty much shoot anything out of it without too much trouble.
                            Thanks Justhomp for once again providing correct information.

Just to reiterate, this comes from page #1:

4- 1/7 twist

The rate of twist for any given barrel is specific to the projectile diameter, length and velocity. For a 55gr 5.56 NATO round (M193), the proper twist is somewhere around 1/10 to 1/12. The original M16A1 came in a 1/12 twist. However, for the heavier 62gr M855 round, 1/12 does not work. The M16A2 went from 1/12 to 1/7 twist, allowing for this round. Truth be told, the 62gr penetrator (SS109) is actually the length of a 69gr bullet, but weighs less because it has a steel core instead of a lead core. This round will tumble wildly in a 1/12 twist barrel. Testing showed this fast twist rate will show premature throat erosion, so commercial barrel makers decided to make their barrels 1/9 twist since they did not need to adhere to the strict military requirement of 1/7. This worked, and the throat erosion seemed to be mitigated. However, with the newest advances in bullet design pushing the envelope to 75gr and 77gr projectiles, 1/9 is not quite getting the job done reliably. Due to tolerances for rifling a barrel, some barrels marked 1/9 can shoot the heavies with no ill effects, but others marked 1/9 throw them down range tumbling wildly. This is not good. A tumbling bullet is not a consistent bullet, and consistency is what produces both accuracy and controlled expansion. So if you want to load your rifle with the most advanced anti-personnel loadings you can, you will want a 1/7 marked barrel. If your duty load is only 55gr or 62gr at most, then 1/9 is probably alright. 1/12 is unsat. You will be stuck with 52-55gr.

While this is not an ammo post, but a rifle post, I will keep it short. A good rule of thumb for the AR-15 is to get the heaviest bullet it will reliably stabilize, as it will penetrate deep enough to reliably hit vital organs, which is your actual target in a gunfight. Ballistic tips do NOT reliably penetrate deep enough to hit these targets when conditions are "imperfect." Stick with BTHP (OTM) ammo, and get the heavies. Our duty load is the Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP (which works well in 1/9 twist barrels), but my personal choice is 75gr OTM (which I carry in my 1/7 twist LWRC and CMMG.)
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I checked out Rainier's site and the CTR milspec stock headline says "stock only" but when you read the actual description it says it comes with everything. Kind of confusing. It also only gives you the OD color option but lists additional colors in the description. I'm hoping to get a dark earth color. I'll call them tommorrow. Thanx guys!
                              -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                              -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Suppressor Use

Question for Jwise and others:

Does the added pressure from suppressed fire cause accelerated damage to the rifle? If so, what parts are needed to minimize the damage?

I use a RRA CAR A4 with an 11.5" barrel and a Surefire FA556K suppressor. (see photos on the other thread soon).
                                -29474-

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. -Mark Twain

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7827 users online. 396 members and 7431 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X