Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good place to find a barrel under 14.5 for a RRA.....cheap?
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

• CMMG has them for $235, in just about any profile and length your could want.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Same thing. "M4 Profile" = "Gov't Profile."
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• JWise...whats your take on short barrels for LE use? I want to go to a 10.5-12.5 in barrel but my coworkers think I'm nuts.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

• Originally posted by That Guy View Post
            JWise...whats your take on short barrels for LE use? I want to go to a 10.5-12.5 in barrel but my coworkers think I'm nuts.
            I'd like to weigh in, if you don't mind.

Personally I think anything under the standard 16in barrel is good only as a dedicated CQB rifle. The ballistics of the 5.56mm round get's squirrely if fired out of anything shorter then 16in.

Look at where you patrol and what kind of area it is. If you think you could get into engagments past 25m, then stick to the "standard" size M4.

Just my .02 FWIW...
            Last edited by JTShooter; 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM.
            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Originally posted by justhomp View Post
              I'd like to weigh in, if you don't mind.

Personally I think anything under the standard 16in barrel is good only as a dedicated CQB rifle. The ballistics of the 5.56mm round get's squirrely if fired out of anything shorter then 16in.

Look at where you patrol and what kind of area it is. If you think you could get into engagments past 25m, then stick to the "standard" size M4.

Just my .02 FWIW...
              I do mind you nosy hijacker! Not at all. I am looking feedback from others and don't want to start a whole new thread for it. I hear that it doesn't effect the round at 100 yrds but when you go out like say 300 yrds there is a big effect. Our qual only run out to 100yrds and yes I know we may take shots further than that but as a first responder I will do more building clearances than anything else with it I figured a 12.5 can achieve some length and be the happy medium. Of course the only 12.5 is from Noveske and is pricey.

Comment

• I agree with Justhomp. CQB, or more precisely, extreme CQB is pretty much the only reason you'd want one. It helps when you're fighting inside structures.

Other than that, if you're going to suppress the rifle, I would also go with a 10.5-12.5" barrel.

If you are going to use it for general patrol work, and you do not plan to suppress the rifle, get a 16" rifle. They aren't as sexy, but they are more practical.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• While the shorties can be ACCURATE out to 100yds and beyond, in Police work we are more concerned with the TERMINAL BALLISTICS, not just accuracy.

Terminal ballistics (the ability of a round to put a bad guy down) of the 5.56NATO cartridge suffers GREATLY when using short-barreled rifles. If you MUST have a shorty, and need terminal ballistics at distance, go to 6.8SPC.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Hijacking again, but to give you peace of mind, most of the time the 16in barrel M4 is being used to "clear rooms" AND fire accurately out to abotu 500m, so no worries either way

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• That upper will definitely shoot tighter groups than a standard barrel, which basically means 1.5-2" groups at 100yds will shrink to 1-1.5" groups. If you put a Troy (or any other) free float rail on it, it will cut that number nearly in half!

The stainless barrel is more accurate because of the weight as well. If you got a medcon or HBAR barrel instead of the M4 profile (both chrome-lined 4150 steel barrel), it would also produce better groups. Maybe not as tight as the stainless, but close. HOWEVER, that accuracy is coming at the cost of WEIGHT. Your choice. Nothing is free.

I have M4 profile barrels, HBAR barrel, and a stainless barrel in my collection. The HBAR is free-floated and shoots better than the non-free floated stainless barrel. I have plans to fix this soon, as I will be putting a midlength rail (Troy) on the middy stainless upper.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                        Hijacking again, but to give you peace of mind, most of the time the 16in barrel M4 is being used to "clear rooms" AND fire accurately out to abotu 500m, so no worries either way
                        Right on... 16" barrels are fine for most work. Plenty of Marines out there doing it with 20" M16A4s.

Oh, and if you could please meet me over in the off-duty forums, we can talk about motorcycles HERE.
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                          Well I did it.

I made my online order today for a CMMG upper

16" actual length barrel, non-stainless version
                          govt profile, mid length gas and handguard assy

When in doubt, go to the middle of the road I guess. I am comfortable with the purchase and decision. I had been interested for a long time in the M4 carbine set-up but ultimately decided the midlength was best for me. I will in time be wanting to put an EOtech 512 on top. I will also adorn the top with a good BUIS. I went with the Egress upgrade and the polished/extended M4 ramps and the automatic bolt versus the semi-auto.
                          Fine choice. You'll love it. For the BUIS, I recommend (as do a few others here) a BUIS from LaRue Tactical, or Troy Industties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                            Well I did it.

I made my online order today for a CMMG upper

16" actual length barrel, non-stainless version
                            govt profile, mid length gas and handguard assy

When in doubt, go to the middle of the road I guess. I am comfortable with the purchase and decision. I had been interested for a long time in the M4 carbine set-up but ultimately decided the midlength was best for me. I will in time be wanting to put an EOtech 512 on top. I will also adorn the top with a good BUIS. I went with the Egress upgrade and the polished/extended M4 ramps and the automatic bolt versus the semi-auto.
                            You're going to be VERY happy with your purchase! I don't know if this is your first firearm purchase, or your 20th. But an AR-15 represents much more than just a "sporting arm," but a firearm capable of marshal use.

I'm very proud of you, as you take your rank among those who choose to prepare themselves adequately for what may come in this life. Patriots for generations have foregone personal luxuries in order to set themselves for victory against the evil in this world, be it a street thug, a wave of rioters, or an oppressive government. Congratulations. You have chosen to do more than just recognize liberty. You have chosen to exercise your personal liberty in its purest form!
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Hey J-wise-I don't want to hijack a thread, but I just bought six Magpul 30 rounders for my ARs. I'm retiring in three weeks and (in CA) won't be able to buy hi-caps after that, so I got them while I could. I've heard a lot of good about Magpul and figured that at $14.00 a pop it was worth it. Did I do good or not?
                              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                                I just bought six Magpul 30 rounders for my ARs.
                                (weird, so did I!)
                                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11335 users online. 401 members and 10934 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X