300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I edited my review of the Sabre Defense rifle. Here's what I added:

I had my first chance to closely inspect a Sabre Defense rifle today. I stripped it down, and only found one issue. The gas key was not "properly" staked, but instead it was dimpled in three places around each hex screw. The dimples pushed quite a bit of material up against the screw head, and I found the technique to be adequate as far as my needs are concerned. Sure, I'd prefer it to be done the way that is tried and true, but it looked very well done.

The handguards are indeed single-heat shielded, the barrel is 1/7, chrome-lined, and properly profiled. The bolt carrier shrouds the firing pin, which is an M16 pin.

The extractor spring has the black insert, and is the extra power spring.

I was very well pleased with the Sabre Defense rifle, and it was (locally) priced right at ~$900 or so. I don't know exactly, because I was quoted the "friends and family" price.

I stand behind my earlier "buy" recommendation.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Just re-read the informative parts of the thread again and I'm still impressed how so many of you can know some of this stuff. My head was hurting trying to grasp some of the terms and all the various parts of the rifle you mention. I would like to purchase one one day but good lawdy some of this stuff is confusing.

Excellent work once again JW. You are a man who knows his stuff.
      This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

• Thanks Erik. Just remember, if you can't (don't want to) learn all the insides and outsides of the platform, just pay attention to the analysis part of the thread!

I have updated the S&W review, adding pictures taken by AR15.com's FatalSaint.

Check it out!
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Tag..........
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

• Gas piston systems... Yay or nay for a patrol carbine? There's quite a few companies now making retrofit gas piston systems. I'm interested in the PWS gas system for my build to ultimately use on patrol. Your thoughts?

Comment

• In general, nay. I have one, and I have not found it to be all that great....yet. I am still working out the issues, but it's been going on now for years. That's right, YEARS!

If this is going to be your third, or fourth AR-15, go for it. When they work, they work well. But when they don't, well...don't hold your breath.
              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I might just go ahead and get a dedicated work carbine that I can toss around and not care about and leave it alone. I'll leave the gas piston setup for my personal use rifle.

Comment

• It still is...
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Vtoxic
                    With all that being said, and my belief that you indeed know what you are talking about, I would like to ask if you still regard the CMMG upper you spec'd-out to be the best deal goin?. If you say it is then I smell a purchase on the horizon.
                    What's that old saying? "If you can't d***le them with your brillance, baffle them with your bull.............."

Kidding Jwise, how's it going brother?
                    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Busy, but good. Thanks.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I updated my Sabre Defence review again, adding several pictues. Here's the new part:

I finally got the chance to take some pictures of a Sabre Defence rifle that my department just took possession of for T&E. Here's what it looked like right out of the package:

(serial number is blurred out)

Here's the only issue with the Sabre, and that is the improper carrier key staking. However, this looks like it will hold pretty well.

F-Marked FSB:

The barrel markings show "CP 1/9 5.56NATO" (which is different than the markings on the first rifle I inspected above):

M4 Feedramps:

Shrouded firing pin:

Staked castle nut:

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• That's the old way we used to stake things. Easier to to do properly. Either way will work as long as enough meat is smashed together to prevent the screw/bolt whatever from turning.
                          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• jwise, thanks for the comprehensive and informative thread. I have a Rock River upper with a chrome lined barrel and mid-length setup. So far it is running well, but it hasn't been torture tested. Reading through all the posts, it appears that if I upgrade the bolt and get the gas key properly staked I have remedied the likeliest problem areas. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

Comment

• Yes, other than the barrel the bolt carrier group makes up the biggest shortcomings of most ARs. A good bolt carrier group can be found at Bravo Company. It's their own BCG, and is about as good as they come. Check it out HERE.

Here is a list of the features of this bolt carrier group:

* MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
                              * Shot Peened Bolt
                              * Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
                              * Chrome Lined Gas Key
                              * Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
                              * Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
                              * Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
                              * BCMâ„¢ Extractor Spring
                              * Black Extractor Insert
                              * Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks. It looks like Bravo Company is out of stock on that BGC. For the time being, I think I'll make sure the gas key is tightened up, lube the gun properly, do some extended drills a few times and see if it loosens up or pukes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7577 users online. 273 members and 7304 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X