300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
    In the very first section of this thread, I stated that your unique parameters will answer many questions. In this instance, is this rifle "just for fun", or do you have a professional application for this rifle? If the latter, buy a quality rifle made by a manufacturer that knows what they are doing.

If the former, then we have something to talk about. Is this your first magazine-fed semi-automoatic rifle? If so, go buy a quality rifle. Is this your first AR-15? If so, go buy yourself a quality rifle. Is this a back-up to your one other rifle, or will it serve as your wife/partner's rifle? If so, go buy yourself a quality rifle. Now, if this is your third or fourth rifle, then go have fun and try to build it yourself.

The prices have never been cheaper than they are now for a Colt 6920 ($950!) Don't miss this opportunity to purchase an excellent rifle at deeply discounted prices.
    You make very excellent points. It will be my first and only rifle (until I can afford another one) for fun and also for patrol (if I choose not to use a department rifle). But most importantly for if/when SHTF. Thank you for your feedback. I've actually gone back and read your first posts over again and actually have a clue (a small one, but still a clue) about rifles after watching YouTube videos and reading about building one.

Thank you!

ETA: I just found this on Buds and it's a CMMG (like you recommend).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p....56+NATO+16%22

Is it too good to be true?!
    Last edited by Aerohead; 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
      You make very excellent points. It will be my first and only rifle (until I can afford another one) for fun and also for patrol (if I choose not to use a department rifle). But most importantly for if/when SHTF. Thank you for your feedback. I've actually gone back and read your first posts over again and actually have a clue (a small one, but still a clue) about rifles after watching YouTube videos and reading about building one.

Thank you!

ETA: I just found this on Buds and it's a CMMG (like you recommend).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p....56+NATO+16%22

Is it too good to be true?!
      My recommendation of CMMG was (unfortunately) short-lived. Don't forget WHY I recommended them (great value when purchased as a complete upper and lower). Their prices have gone up, and their features have changed.

The model you linked to is not one you want. Forget it.

For your purposes, I would not consider building your own. You need a serious rifle, not a hobby project.
      Last edited by jwise; 11-10-2014, 10:43 PM.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
        My recommendation of CMMG was (unfortunately) short-lived. Don't forget WHY I recommended them (great value when purchased as a complete upper and lower). Their prices have gone up, and their features have changed.

The model you linked to is not one you want. Forget it.

For your purposes, I would not consider building your own. You need a serious rifle, not a hobby project.
        Thank you sir! I appreciate it!
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Thank you sir! I appreciate it!
          http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...magpul-moe-fde

Colts are supper cheap right now.

Comment

• I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site. JWise, great work. I'm on page 35. I'll keep reading to see if the info changes since the posts started in 2008. When I get to page 95 I'll see if I have questions. Again, thank you. Steve

Comment

• Well, I did it. Read Every. Single. Post. Then I went back and read the first page all over again. I've decided to buy the parts and a friend that works at our gun shop will assemble it for me. I'm not an LEO. Ex military that wants to protect kids when TSHTF. Starting off with an Aero Precision lower. I will keep to all the suggestions made from page one for the rest of the build. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thank you to everyone that added to the posts and JWise for having the patience to deal with all the questions. -Steve

Comment

• So....after years of talking about it, I FINALLY ordered my rifle. Colt LE6920. Couldn't pass up this deal!

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...gpul-moe-black

Botach.com also has a deal going on - 8 Magpul PMags for $79.99, so I went ahead and ordered some extra mags, too!

http://www.botach.com/magpul-mag557-...azines-8-pack/

I will post pics as soon as it arrives!

Comment

So....after years of talking about it, I FINALLY ordered my rifle. Colt LE6920. Couldn't pass up this deal!

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...gpul-moe-black

Botach.com also has a deal going on - 8 Magpul PMags for $79.99, so I went ahead and ordered some extra mags, too!

http://www.botach.com/magpul-mag557-...azines-8-pack/

I will post pics as soon as it arrives!
                  Nice!! What are your plans for glass? Irons, red dot, magnified?
                  REINSTATE THE TRIG
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  Your logic defies logic
                  Originally posted by Rudy8116
                  Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                  Originally posted by Michigan
                  Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                  Originally posted by TheTick
                  A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                  This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                  Originally posted by 02paul09
                  Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

• Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                    Nice!! What are your plans for glass? Irons, red dot, magnified?
                    I'm thinking a red dot sight.

I'm also trying to figure out what kind of sling to get.

I've LITERALLY wanted one since I first fired one 11+ years ago, so it's been a LONG time coming.

Comment

I'm thinking a red dot sight.

I'm also trying to figure out what kind of sling to get.

I've LITERALLY wanted one since I first fired one 11+ years ago, so it's been a LONG time coming.
                      Red dot is an excellent choice. If I were using it as a duty weapon in a more rural area, I believe that I would also use a magnifier of some sort, but as a range toy it is unnecessary.

For a sling - I find that one point are best for transitions between weapons, because they are quick to manipulate. Two point are slower for transitions, but can be used to brace the weapon with your support arm. Also, they can be quickly cinched tight, in case you need to run.

However you run it, that rifle, at that price - you will not be disappointed. I don't know if you are mechanically minded, but if you are, you will find that tinkering around with an AR is also a really fun way to spend time.
                      REINSTATE THE TRIG
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      Your logic defies logic
                      Originally posted by Rudy8116
                      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                      Originally posted by Michigan
                      Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                      A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                      Originally posted by 02paul09
                      Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

• Ordered it Wednesday and picked it up from my FFL just a short time ago. Can't wait to take it to the range!

Comment

• Bumpity bump...
                          Originally posted by mookster
                          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                          Originally posted by CityCopDC
                          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

• Very excellent write up. Thank you!

Comment

• BUMP...

enough of baldies blabb'inz and b........bump'in!!!!........

Bump'zz
                              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

• Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                                Red dot is an excellent choice. If I were using it as a duty weapon in a more rural area, I believe that I would also use a magnifier of some sort, but as a range toy it is unnecessary.

For a sling - I find that one point are best for transitions between weapons, because they are quick to manipulate. Two point are slower for transitions, but can be used to brace the weapon with your support arm. Also, they can be quickly cinched tight, in case you need to run.

However you run it, that rifle, at that price - you will not be disappointed. I don't know if you are mechanically minded, but if you are, you will find that tinkering around with an AR is also a really fun way to spend time.

Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                                Red dot is an excellent choice.

I was speed'in through this here thready.......................

I see "red dot" and I dink of Alliant propellant.........
                                -Frank

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9820 users online. 465 members and 9355 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X