• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
    That's one of the expensive things with AR's, lots of gadgets to try
    I fixed it for you.

Comment

• Who wouldn't want a nip of a 1960 Macallan?

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
      I think my neighbor's dog would like a taste of the 1960 Macallan. He appreciates the Jerez casks it's aged in. He likes to sniff the lower receiver on a freshly cleaned AR-15 rifle.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
        Who wouldn't want a nip of a 1960 Macallan?
        Yep. I had a bottle of that about 30 years ago (a few hundred then and a few thousand now -- depending on the particulars -- more specifically as depicted below) and it made every other whiskey taste like paint thinner. Maybe I should never have opened it, but then again, maybe I should have bought 10k of MS stock in 1986 and held it 'til 2000 (it went up about 500x) and I'd've been about 5m richer.

Comment

• apologies for the hijack above (the Macallan really is excellent) -- here's a nice AR-15 high-capacity magazine rig:

Comment

• Can I put this here?

Last edited by BigTzzy; 09-16-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
              Most manufacturers only use 4140 on their cheapo entry-level lines. And, regardless of what it's called, nickel teflon does offer real advantages. I had one of the cheap M&P sports (got it in a trade), and put 2k rounds through it without a hiccup. I'd Froglubed it out of the box, and never cleaned it until I sold it. If someone only has $600 to spend, it's a solid purchase.

I now have one of the M&P MOE edition rifles. I don't trust it any more, or less, than my Colt. It cost the same amount as the Colt, but came with all the Magpul furniture already installed.

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but it seems like the M&Ps are getting less respect than they deserve here. I'm no instructor or armorer, but we put a lot of lead downrange (I have a nice rifle range setup on my property).
              The real BTDT AR expert types I know consider the S&W rifles excellent for the $$$ as entry level ARs. I'd take one over say a DPMS or BM, any day, but Colt, DD, Novesk, BCM, etc set the standard as ARs you'd want to go into harms way with.
              Last edited by WillBrink; 09-20-2014, 07:50 PM.
              - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

• I've been looking around the interwebs and I was thinking of building my own AR.

I know how to shoot, clean, and oil my Glock (that's all I've ever owned).

Would I be better off just buying something like the M&P15 Sport or saving up a lot of money and buying a Colt (6940) rather than building? I've seen people say it's not THAT hard to do and I can spread out the purchases instead of paying $700 or $1,300 all in one chunk. But, honestly, I know next to nothing about guns. Any advice is appreciated!
                Originally posted by RSGSRT
                We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                  I've been looking around the interwebs and I was thinking of building my own AR.

I know how to shoot, clean, and oil my Glock (that's all I've ever owned).

Would I be better off just buying something like the M&P15 Sport or saving up a lot of money and buying a Colt (6940) rather than building? I've seen people say it's not THAT hard to do and I can spread out the purchases instead of paying $700 or $1,300 all in one chunk. But, honestly, I know next to nothing about guns. Any advice is appreciated!
                  With a vice, vice block\Geissele reaction rod, torque wrench, AR armorer's tool, youtube, and enough mechanical knowledge to have not killed yourself with a firearm or vehicle yet, you should be able to complete your first AR assembly within about an hour.

Since S&W started putting 1/9 twist barrels in the Sports, I'd step up to something better. That will give you the option of running heavier bullets (less wind deflection at range). The barrel, bolt, and trigger (in that order) make the rifle. I've had exceptional accuracy results with Noveske's polygonally rifled barrels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                    With a vice, vice block\Geissele reaction rod, torque wrench, AR armorer's tool, youtube, and enough mechanical knowledge to have not killed yourself with a firearm or vehicle yet, you should be able to complete your first AR assembly within about an hour.

Since S&W started putting 1/9 twist barrels in the Sports, I'd step up to something better. That will give you the option of running heavier bullets (less wind deflection at range). The barrel, bolt, and trigger (in that order) make the rifle. I've had exceptional accuracy results with Noveske's polygonally rifled barrels.
                    I need all that? Dang...guess I won't be building one until I put together a workbench like I had in my old house.
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• You need to make a list of what features u are looking for, as fare as parts and such. Than U do the numbers. Maybe U'll find a "premade" that is right for u, or partially right and U swap out some parts! U can do alot whit just an AR-wrench and some allen keys. Scratch builds are the most fun, but also require the most work/tools obviously. U can guarantee someone at work/office/station would love to help u out! Who dosn't like an AR project;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by E. Tackleberry View Post
                        You need to make a list of what features u are looking for, as fare as parts and such. Than U do the numbers. Maybe U'll find a "premade" that is right for u, or partially right and U swap out some parts! U can do alot whit just an AR-wrench and some allen keys. Scratch builds are the most fun, but also require the most work/tools obviously. U can guarantee someone at work/office/station would love to help u out! Who dosn't like an AR project;-)
                        Reading this thread is about all I know about guns. Lots of great info, though.

Comment

• I bought a Bushmaster XM15, and it had a bunch of aftermarket Magpul parts on it. I wanted to get a flat-top upper for it due to the carrying handle, but I guess if I found the right scope/mount for it... I ordered a Magpul AFG, mag coupler, new dust cover, and some other minor things, the rest it came with, including a Surefire flashlight and mount.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I need all that? Dang...guess I won't be building one until I put together a workbench like I had in my old house.
                            $30 armorer's wrench - http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafus.../dp/B006PTMYHM
                            $10 vice block - http://www.amazon.com/ProMag-AR-15-L.../dp/B002E6P3IM

If you don't already have the following:

$50 vice - http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-11104-B.../dp/B00101V1S8
                            $40 torque wrench - http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2.../dp/B00C5ZL0RU
                            $8 anti seize lubricant- http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078.../dp/B000AAJTXY

Comment

• Thanks!

Comment

In the very first section of this thread, I stated that your unique parameters will answer many questions. In this instance, is this rifle "just for fun", or do you have a professional application for this rifle? If the latter, buy a quality rifle made by a manufacturer that knows what they are doing.

If the former, then we have something to talk about. Is this your first magazine-fed semi-automoatic rifle? If so, go buy a quality rifle. Is this your first AR-15? If so, go buy yourself a quality rifle. Is this a back-up to your one other rifle, or will it serve as your wife/partner's rifle? If so, go buy yourself a quality rifle. Now, if this is your third or fourth rifle, then go have fun and try to build it yourself.

The prices have never been cheaper than they are now for a Colt 6920 ($950!) Don't miss this opportunity to purchase an excellent rifle at deeply discounted prices.
                                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6674 users online. 336 members and 6338 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X