300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
    Most manufacturers only use 4140 on their cheapo entry-level lines. And, regardless of what it's called, nickel teflon does offer real advantages. I had one of the cheap M&P sports (got it in a trade), and put 2k rounds through it without a hiccup. I'd Froglubed it out of the box, and never cleaned it until I sold it. If someone only has $600 to spend, it's a solid purchase.

I now have one of the M&P MOE edition rifles. I don't trust it any more, or less, than my Colt. It cost the same amount as the Colt, but came with all the Magpul furniture already installed.

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but it seems like the M&Ps are getting less respect than they deserve here. I'm no instructor or armorer, but we put a lot of lead downrange (I have a nice rifle range setup on my property).
    Exactly, for a fun gun or a plinking gun they will work just fine. 4140 steel offers inferior barrel life vs the stronger 4150 steel and any sort of fancy nickel based/DLC/QPQ/whateveristhefancycoatingtouseatthismoment is not going to equal the strength and protection provided by chrome lining.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Absolutely nothing but a rollmark.
      Thanks. I have seen a few LE 6920's at a local Walmart and also one on Buds Police Supply. The one on Buds had magpul furniture and the one in Walmart was a more basic model, but both were LE models. How about the "sporter models" of 6920s? What major differences do those have?

Comment

text
        Remember that the "cheapo" 600 M&P is melonite treated Which is not bad at all for an entry level gun.
        "Judge's comment's for precedent are Blue by Day White by Knight. Common battery signals are as follows chuck, kluck, pencil, eraser and ink. The most common signal is Tinkerbell." - gabrielnzion's crazy ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by bravo1 View Post
          Thanks. I have seen a few LE 6920's at a local Walmart and also one on Buds Police Supply. The one on Buds had magpul furniture and the one in Walmart was a more basic model, but both were LE models. How about the "sporter models" of 6920s? What major differences do those have?
          Just the roll mark anything with "colt 6920" you'll be good to go. Also not sure what the price difference is for the magpul version, but many times its cheaper to buy the magpul stuff later with Leo discount
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
            Just the roll mark anything with "colt 6920" you'll be good to go. Also not sure what the price difference is for the magpul version, but many times its cheaper to buy the magpul stuff later with Leo discount
            Surprisingly, they were both the same price...$1097. I guess Buds was actually a little cheaper with the LE discount, considering it came with the furniture already.

Comment

• Originally posted by bravo1 View Post
              Surprisingly, they were both the same price...$1097. I guess Buds was actually a little cheaper with the LE discount, considering it came with the furniture already.
              Nice!
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

• Our local Walmart had the S&W 6920 for $1,497.00 this last Saturday. Also, I qualified with my Ruger SR-556 I got Father's Day, and I am now carrying it as a duty weapon. I had a Bushmaster assigned to me up until last night, but it has since been turned in. One of the officers with one of those U.S. Government program M-16's assigned to him snapped up the Bushmaster.

Just fyi, we are now using Federal Premium 69 gr 223 Rem Sierra Matchking BTHP Gold Medal Match as duty ammo.

Comment

• Originally posted by ftttu View Post
                  ...we are now using Federal Premium 69 gr 223 Rem Sierra Matchking BTHP Gold Medal Match as duty ammo.
                  Outside of a precision role, those Sierras are an odd choice for a duty ammo (lots of penetration, minimal expansion, no\minimal fragmentation).

Comment

Outside of a precision role, those Sierras are an odd choice for a duty ammo (lots of penetration, minimal expansion, no\minimal fragmentation).
                    I haven't had time to look into them yet. I will eventually get with our firearms guy to see why they are issued, but I won't find out until next week due to going on a little vacation.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheTick
                      .223 instead of 5.56?
                      As in why not issue 5.56 over .223? I can't tell you why they ordered this round for duty. Availability? I will find out next week. Also, I can't see myself ever having to use my AR over 50 yards, but even at 100 yards, they both have the energy needed to get the job done.

Comment

Most manufacturers only use 4140 on their cheapo entry-level lines. And, regardless of what it's called, nickel teflon does offer real advantages. I had one of the cheap M&P sports (got it in a trade), and put 2k rounds through it without a hiccup. I'd Froglubed it out of the box, and never cleaned it until I sold it. If someone only has $600 to spend, it's a solid purchase.

I now have one of the M&P MOE edition rifles. I don't trust it any more, or less, than my Colt. It cost the same amount as the Colt, but came with all the Magpul furniture already installed.

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but it seems like the M&Ps are getting less respect than they deserve here. I'm no instructor or armorer, but we put a lot of lead downrange (I have a nice rifle range setup on my property).
                        Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                        Exactly, for a fun gun or a plinking gun they will work just fine. 4140 steel offers inferior barrel life vs the stronger 4150 steel and any sort of fancy nickel based/DLC/QPQ/whateveristhefancycoatingtouseatthismoment is not going to equal the strength and protection provided by chrome lining.
                        The newer M&P15s are some of the better bang for the buck rifles out there right now. I have a VTAC II that came factory with a 1/5 5R Melonited barrel, Geissele trigger, and some VTAC goodies and it's great. With my added Troy Battle Sights and Aimpoint PRO, it's a $1900 rifle, but it performs reliably and accurately with the best of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koala45 View Post
                          The newer M&P15s are some of the better bang for the buck rifles out there right now. I have a VTAC II that came factory with a 1/5 5R Melonited barrel, Geissele trigger, and some VTAC goodies and it's great. With my added Troy Battle Sights and Aimpoint PRO, it's a $1900 rifle, but it performs reliably and accurately with the best of them.
                          I was thinking of getting an M&P15 (I think the Sport) at some point. I think the one I was looking at with sights can in at a bit around $900. I'm not much of a rifle person, but you can add a piccatiny rail to it for different accessories?

I'll be honest, I want to "tacticool" it if I get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny5678 View Post
                            I was thinking of getting an M&P15 (I think the Sport) at some point. I think the one I was looking at with sights can in at a bit around $900. I'm not much of a rifle person, but you can add a piccatiny rail to it for different accessories?

I'll be honest, I want to "tacticool" it if I get it.
                            I wouldn't pay over $600 for a sport. At $900 there are a lot better options
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                              I wouldn't pay over $600 for a sport. At $900 there are a lot better options
                              Yuh, top dollar on a Sport should be $649.
                              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Better than the other option, the Sportical
                                "Judge's comment's for precedent are Blue by Day White by Knight. Common battery signals are as follows chuck, kluck, pencil, eraser and ink. The most common signal is Tinkerbell." - gabrielnzion's crazy ramblings

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7262 users online. 350 members and 6912 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X