Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a S&W VTac and it runs like a top. Never a malfunction and will run dirty just fine. I've got a Rock River on the way (as soon as they manufacture another 100 or so for my department) and I'll still carry the S&W at work because I trust it with my life (Not that I don't trust a Rock River in that way, just that I haven't been through a school with it in which we were shooting in less than ideal conditions).

Comment

• I looked at a S&W yesterday, the guy at the local gun shop was really wanting to put it in my hands. I like the barrel, but can't get over no dust cover and on forward assist.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramrod711 View Post
        Its the constant talking down of lesser brands that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, some people cant afford a 1500 dollar Colt and opt to buy something more affordable. Some people buy them for their kids. The fact of the matter is, Steve made his choice and the first thing you do is bash it.

Does it come in blueberry?
        Since when is a Colt $1500?! We aren't talking about a 6940 here, and you can't base a company's rifle cost on the current market of inflated prices. I currently sell the Colt 6920 Magpul for under $1200, and the standard 6920 used to sell on GT Distributors for $995 regularly and this was only back in October '12...
        Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• I am not a LEO so my use of this forum gave me an idea what to steer clear of and what to look for in an AR. The final bias came from my father, a retired LAPD officer, who served on one of the very first SWAT teams and trained countless SWAT members from other agencies. His first choice was an Airilite but said I couldn't go wrong with S&W or Colt. I think this is a great thread and is a wealth of Knowledge but Sgt. Dad has the last word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramrod711 View Post
            Its the constant talking down of lesser brands that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, some people cant afford a 1500 dollar Colt and opt to buy something more affordable. Some people buy them for their kids. The fact of the matter is, Steve made his choice and the first thing you do is bash it.

Does it come in blueberry?
            You can get a Colt for a lot less than $1500. And even if it was that much, the price difference between Colt and the competition is not so great that it should be turning people away - unless people want the rifle ASAP and aren't willing to wait or month or so and bank another bit of cash.

I'd rather be patient for a few more paychecks and pick up a basic, stripped-down Colt than have any other brand now, even if that brand comes with a bunch of bells and whistles on it.

FWIW, I have either heard of or seen problems with ALL kinds of AR-15 weapons, but have never heard horror stories about Colt to the degree that I've heard them about other manufacturers (like a S&W that was actually allowed to leave the factory and be sold to a customer with no rifling in the barrel...).

For me, I don't think it's "talking down" so much that it's simply wanting my colleagues to have weapons they can rely on when needed.
            "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

• Well, as a matter of fact, I do NOT want to buy an AR-15 as the title of the thread asks.

My agency issued me one, but I still pull out ole Mossy first.
              I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                Since when is a Colt $1500?! We aren't talking about a 6940 here, and you can't base a company's rifle cost on the current market of inflated prices. I currently sell the Colt 6920 Magpul for under $1200, and the standard 6920 used to sell on GT Distributors for $995 regularly and this was only back in October '12...
                True, and the 6920 has been showing back up in Wal-marts and other stores here in the South for $1200. I have seen a couple myself.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by 5teve View Post
                  I am not a LEO so my use of this forum gave me an idea what to steer clear of and what to look for in an AR. The final bias came from my father, a retired LAPD officer, who served on one of the very first SWAT teams and trained countless SWAT members from other agencies. His first choice was an Airilite but said I couldn't go wrong with S&W or Colt. I think this is a great thread and is a wealth of Knowledge but Sgt. Dad has the last word.
                  Things change over time. What was true 10 years ago may not apply today. I bet your dad never saw an AR with no dust cover or forward assist, which is unfortunately a cost saving feature on many S&Ws today.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

• I bet your dad never saw an AR with no dust cover or forward assist, which is unfortunately a cost saving feature on many S&Ws today.
                    Or worse: I've seen a couple of manufacturers who save money by only cutting a certain amount of notches on the bolt for the forward assist to grab on to. Nice to know that if you need the FA, it might not be able to get any purchase on the bolt...

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
                      Or worse: I've seen a couple of manufacturers who save money by only cutting a certain amount of notches on the bolt for the forward assist to grab on to. Nice to know that if you need the FA, it might not be able to get any purchase on the bolt...
                      That's absurd. That couldn't save much more than 30 seconds of machine time which equates to about $0.55.
                      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

That's absurd. That couldn't save much more than 30 seconds of machine time which equates to about $0.55.
                        Yup. Too many manufacturers have decided that rather than compete with Colt in the quality department, they'll simply build less expensive weapons. Too much corner-cutting adds up.

Comment

• Absolutely, same with all these manufacturers using 4140 barrel steel and putting nickel teflon coating on it, but calling it something completely different and "proprietary" to make it sound decent.
                          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

• What if any difference is there between a brand new off the shelf LE6920 and one of the older ones marked for law enforcement only? Basically what I am asking is, what are the major differences, other than accessories, of a Colt LE6920 purchased at a store like Walmart and an older "LE only" LE6920?
                            Last edited by bravo1; 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Absolutely nothing but a rollmark.
                              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

Absolutely, same with all these manufacturers using 4140 barrel steel and putting nickel teflon coating on it, but calling it something completely different and "proprietary" to make it sound decent.
                                Most manufacturers only use 4140 on their cheapo entry-level lines. And, regardless of what it's called, nickel teflon does offer real advantages. I had one of the cheap M&P sports (got it in a trade), and put 2k rounds through it without a hiccup. I'd Froglubed it out of the box, and never cleaned it until I sold it. If someone only has $600 to spend, it's a solid purchase.

I now have one of the M&P MOE edition rifles. I don't trust it any more, or less, than my Colt. It cost the same amount as the Colt, but came with all the Magpul furniture already installed.

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but it seems like the M&Ps are getting less respect than they deserve here. I'm no instructor or armorer, but we put a lot of lead downrange (I have a nice rifle range setup on my property).
                                Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 06-22-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7777 users online. 394 members and 7383 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X