300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AJLEO View Post
    So I’m somewhat new to the AR game but have been doing a ton of research. I had a colt M-4 form my prior agency and will likely have a similar set up at my current agency neither am I a fan of. I’m looking at building a SBR for myself as short as possible .The predicament I have is that I will be adding an Aim point and don’t really like the fixed sight post with the hand guard but by going that wrought I will save $. If I leave the fixed sight post will my view the optic be blocked much? I have looked in to swapping out the fixed sight for a gas block but that would take up valuable barrel space and possibly not leave the barrel space I need for the suppressor. I guess when its set up with a fixed sight base it the barrel is drilled differently and need a longer gas block ? Should I just spend the cash and go with the rail and block need some thoughts and advice or an idea I have yet to think of.

Thanks
    As short as possible is not as reliable as possible. If you want a good super short upper that will also serve as a suppressor host, look no further than the Daniel Defense Mk18 10.3" upper. If you want to stick with Colt, the 11.5" Commando upper is badass as well. The DD utilizes a lo pro gas block under the handguard for maximum rail space whereas the Colt uses a pinned FSB with a carbine length handguard. If you want plenty of rail space on the Colt, just get a Centurion C4 Carbine Cutout Rail.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bighead View Post
      Perhaps someone out there would be interested in "So, You wanna buy an AR-15, Version 2.0"
      Yes, yes, with some more YES. You listening JWise?
      - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

• I'm listening, but I don't have the time nor the CURRENT knowledge of what is out there.

Frankly, my hope was to EDUCATE the average buyer, so that he/she can shop for the best option for himself. If some new uber-cool company comes out with a new product, you should be able to evaluate it on your own.

What barrel does it come with?
        What kind of steel?
        What rifling?
        Which gas system does it use?
        Is the barrel extension cut correctly with M4 feedramps?

Etc....

As for AJLEO's comment, I am perplexed. He said he was new to ARs, then goes on to describe a very complex list of "must-haves" that run contrary to what one would want in a patrol rifle. That sounds more like a whiz-bang shooter designed to impress, not put effective lead downrange.

To answer the most basic question, FIXED SIGHTS BELONG ON A PATROL RIFLE. How many times have I said this? I will KEEP saying it until they make an optic as rugged as forged steel.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Zombie threat alert! Seriously though this is probably the best collection of what you should look for in a rifle info out there. Maybe we could get some buy/no buy updates with a few of the manufacturers that were not previously mentions: Armalite, Windham Weaponry etc....also I am pretty sure that CMMG is more competitive now since their pricing is waaaay more than listed on this thread? Still a good buy though?

Comment

• Originally posted by tugboat View Post
            Zombie threat alert! Seriously though this is probably the best collection of what you should look for in a rifle info out there. Maybe we could get some buy/no buy updates with a few of the manufacturers that were not previously mentions: Armalite, Windham Weaponry etc....also I am pretty sure that CMMG is more competitive now since their pricing is waaaay more than listed on this thread? Still a good buy though?
            wow i really have to make an apology. i had no idea of the length of this thread. for some reason i could not see all of these pages until after i posted my previous comment. i retract my previous statement completely....

Comment

• Originally posted by tugboat View Post
              Maybe we could get some buy/no buy updates
              This^

I am looking for an M4 patrol rifle to purchase and while I found the original posted information useful, further updates in this thread have suggested to buy some manufacturers and stay away from others that were originally supposed to be a good buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                This^

I am looking for an M4 patrol rifle to purchase and while I found the original posted information useful, further updates in this thread have suggested to buy some manufacturers and stay away from others that were originally supposed to be a good buy.
                Update

Buy a colt, DD, Bcm, or MP non sporter and you'll be fine.
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

• I recently picked up an M&P15 VTAC ii for $1350 (LEO price) and love it. It's light weight and S&W has really stepped their game up in recent years. They are no longer deserving of the rep to built for themselves when the M&P15 first arrived on the market, because it's not even the same rifle.

As for what jwise said about sights, I'm a firm believer that every patrol rifle should have backup iron sights, but something like the Troy Battle Sights have more than shown their worth for me to use on my rifle. Just make sure they can come up and co-witness through your optic.
                  Last edited by Koala45; 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koala45 View Post
                    I recently picked up an M&P15 VTAC ii for $1350 (LEO price) and love it. It's light weight and S&W has really stepped their game up in recent years. They are no longer deserving of the rep to built for themselves when the M&P15 first arrived on the market, because it's not even the same rifle.

As for what jwise said about sights, I'm a firm believer that every patrol rifle should have backup iron sights, but something like the Troy Battle Sights have more than shown their worth for me to use on my rifle. Just make sure they can come up and co-witness through your optic.
                    That VTAC II is a pretty sweet rifle. S&W is the first major manufacturer to really embrace the mid length gas system, and to have their first offering of that gas system in their line up be the VTAC ang Magpul rifles is showing that they are really trying to reach the right crowd.

Are you going to run a CQBSS or a Mark 6 1- 6 like Kyle does? Lol.
                    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                      That VTAC II is a pretty sweet rifle. S&W is the first major manufacturer to really embrace the mid length gas system, and to have their first offering of that gas system in their line up be the VTAC ang Magpul rifles is showing that they are really trying to reach the right crowd.

Are you going to run a CQBSS or a Mark 6 1- 6 like Kyle does? Lol.
                      Negative. I'm a simple man, so I like my Aimpoint PRO with Troy Battle Sights for backups. I was originally going to get the mid-length MOE rifle from S&W, but they had the VTAC ii next to it for a few hundred more and I fell in love with it. The trigger and rail are what sold me on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                        Update

Buy a colt, DD, Bcm, or MP non sporter and you'll be fine.
                        If I am going to spend $900 - $1400 for a rifle I want to know why.

What about a Bushmaster or Rock River? If you or anyone else does NOT recommend one please let me know why.
                        Last edited by mp1161; 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                          If I am going to spend $900 - $1400 for a rifle I want to know why.

What about a Bushmaster or Rock River? If you or anyone else does NOT recommend one please let me know why.
                          Inferior bolts/BCGs that are typically not HPT/MPI, inferior barrel steel, typically 4140 CMV, barrel twist rate is usually commercial spec at 1:9, 1:7 is preferred for good, heavier duty ammo, BM/RRA/ETC typically don't have the correct buffer or are under/over gassed, BCM mid length rifles have a properly tuned gas port size and buffer weight to ensure proper function, etc. I could go on, and on, and on...
                          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

• ^ what he said. In addition there really isn't a reason to cheap out on a work gun, save money elsewhere.
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

• Plans

Wow, what a great thread! Just spent the last 2 day (off-days) reading this thread. I have to say this is just what I was looking for. The AR segment was something that was very confusing before reading this thread. I didn't know one part from another aside from an upper and a lower. So for that thanks, Jwise!

I have two plans right now and they are as follows.

1.) Mainly a BCM Weapon System

CMT Bolt Carrier Group:$130.00
                              BCM Charging Handle: $44.95
                              BCM Folding Rear Sight: $115.00
                              BCM BFH 16" Mid LW: $519.00
                              -Should I go without the FORGED BARREL and just save my $80.00?
                              YanKee End Cap: $19.95
                              Yankee Free Float: $109.95
                              -Better choice of free float for around the same price point or just spend more on a Troy, or DD?
                              BCM Lower M4 Stock: $350.00?

$1,333.80

Add and EOTech later at $399.99

2.) A LEO Daniel Defense Weapon System

$????

Comment

• You can get a vtac/troy alpha rail for $140 if you are a LEO. I just got the 13" version and love it. Unless you are sold on the eotech I would give the aimpoint pro a look. Much better suited for patrol, battery lasts 3 years being left on 24/7, includes lens covers and mount. Very solid optic for $370ish

Not sure if you already have the cash ready, but DD does offer financing for officers if that's something you would need.
                                In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4715 users online. 225 members and 4490 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X