300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
    Be careful with FA carriers in a semi - people have been charged with constructive possession like that. Being in LE won't negate federal law, nor would I advocate doing so.

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wb...f_letter52.txt

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_pa...ceivers_p3.asp

Above advice taken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
      Lets take the FA/NFA/BATFE debate to a different thread. If someone wants to start a new one, I can debate it at length, but I don't think we need to muck up jwise's great thread with it.
      Advice that keeps people out of trouble/jail in regards to the AR15 is in keeping with the subject matter here on this thread. The question was asked about FA carriers in ARs, and the subject matter I posted is quite relevant.

Comment

• http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...82#post1146182
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Now it will go to thread hell. Either way, the information and links are posted here (which you convienantly left off your other post Blackdog) for all to link to and read for themselves.

If you want other opinions, go to www.ar15.com or any of the other gun boards and ask around.

Comment

• http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...ef=videosearch

Comment

• Hey JWise,
              I noticed that you and others use an FSB with your optic/eotech. Is their a reason for that? Wouldn't BUIS on the barrel end of the rifle be better so its out of the way?

Thanks.

Comment

• Remember that a duty gun needs reliability over all else.

I run a fixed FSB on mine because that is the one part of an M16 that I have run into just about everything. Hellholes(on helos), hatches, trees, doorjambs, etc. Most folding front sights are held on with set screws or clamps If it gets whacked it can cutoff your gas port and you end up with a single shot weapon. Sure you can have them milled and pinned, or use a handguard that covers a separate gas block, but now you have added un-needed complexity to the weapon.

I also run a fixed FSB and fixed rear BUIS because my rifle is for CQB if the optic goes down I want to be able to take a lower cheekweld and engage with the BUIS. No need to flip up anything or hope that it hasn't moved.

Stronger/Lighter/Simpler all mean BETTER when your life depends on them.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

• I 2nd what Blackdog says. The only way to be able to flip up your FS quick enough on a two way range is to practice it over and over, and even then, you won't be fast enough.

Stay safe.
                  “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Good point, my only problem is that I ordered the gas piston style set up from LMT. It has the CQB MRP set up. They (for some reason) don't come with an FSB. I think its becase of the gas piston. The only choice is to get a BUIS.
                    Is it worth getting this gas piston system and giving up that FSB?? How much better is this system compared to the regular set up?

Thanks for the input.
                    Last edited by js308; 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by js308 View Post
                      Good point, my only problem is that I ordered the gas piston style set up from LMT. It has the CQB MRP set up. They (for some reason) don't come with an FSB. I think its becase of the gas piston. The only choice is to get a BUIS.
                      Is it worth getting this gas piston system and giving up that FSB?? How much better is this system compared to the regular set up?

Thanks for the input.
                      It's due to both the GP system and the length of the rail. You can probably find a solid FSB to attach to the rail.

IMHO, it depends on your preference. The Gas Piston system is somewhat cleaner then the normal gas system. Because of that it's less prone to jamming. That being said, the only time I've ever had a "regular gas system" rifle jam on me was when firing blanks.

What is the primary mission of this rifle of yours?
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• LMT and POF both make a rail mount fixed front sight. I don't know how durable they are.

I stick with the DI design on my work guns because it's proven. If I get a chance to beat the snot out of a piston gun in rain/sleet/snow/ice/desert/etc. then I may change my mind. It just hasn't happened yet and I have a distinct problem with taking a company's word on it when my life is riding on the reliability of the system.

Comment

• It will probably end up being a patrol rifle. LMT seems to highly regard the gas piston set up. I know of others that seem to think it puts the AR on a "whole new level". But those are just opinions I guess.

Thanks for all your input. I found a thread that shows some pictures of LMT MRP setups with those fixed rail sights you were talking about (4th and 5th picture down). So you would recommend a fixed front rail sight over a flip BUIS even though its not mounted like an FSB? Thanks!

LMT pic thread link: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5955
                          Last edited by js308; 03-21-2008, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by js308 View Post
                            It will probably end up being a patrol rifle. LMT seems to highly regard the gas piston set up. I know of others that seem to think it puts the AR on a "whole new level". But those are just opinions I guess.

Thanks for all your input. I found a thread that shows some pictures of LMT MRP setups with those fixed rail sights you were talking about (4th and 5th picture down). So you would recommend a fixed front rail sight over a flip BUIS even though its not mounted like an FSB? Thanks!

LMT pic thread link: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5955
                            I have the LMT BUIS on my LMT SBR. They are bomb proof. I think they are more durable than the standard fixed sights that come on factory rifles.

"Life's goal should not be to show up at your final resting spot in a well rested, well preserved body ready to pass on.... But rather sliding in side ways late for your own passing, tired, beaten down and yelling holy $hit what a ride!!!!!"

Comment

• I think you will be OK with a little locktite and some care.

They are not going to be as durable as a forged steel, pinned FSB, but not as fragile as a flip up.

Comment

• Hmmm. Well, according to this thread, the DPMS 20" upper with chrome bolt that I bought is worthless if I have to use my rifle for defensive purposes. Too bad I didn't read this thread first. Guess I'll have to get rid of it....I don't keep anything I can't fight with....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4776 users online. 235 members and 4541 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X