300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reedo View Post
    I can verify this gap in quality control. At a recent EAG Tactical course with Pat Rogers and Mike Hueser, a student's PSA lower went down early on the first day due to a bad hammer spring and a sear and hammer that appeared to be out of spec. I didn't get my hands on the lower, but that's what Mike Hueser alluded to. The student tossed it in the case and went to a loaner BCM from Pat's inventory.
    That said, there are plenty of people extolling the great value of the PSA rifles and lowers. Personally, I prefer to stick with companies that have more consistency, but that's just me.
    I seriously doubt the PSA lower was defective. Most likely it was the trigger group. There were a lot of companies putting out LPK's during the rush. Some were total junk. I received and order of LPK's from one outfit that were trash. Somewhere on this thread there are pictures of the hammer and trigger where the pins would not go through them.

Anytime you get an LPK you need to know what to look for, especially the seers. Whenever I am building one for myself, I will go through as many LPK's as needed to find the ones with the best seers... and some will work better than others in a given lower due to tolerances in both the lower and the LPK's. Example, my junk gun the trigger was fantastically smooth, almost like a 2 stage. So I'm thinking I'll swap this out on my deer gun. Not so smooth in my deer gun. So... I put it back in my junk gun and swap complete lowers.
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Sorry guys, haven't been around the forum for awhile...

@Taskforce - If your still reading this I own 5 Noveske based rifles if that means anything. I build all of my own but I do use their parts and their barrels, while expensive are about the best. I build because I can do it for a good bit cheaper but there is no doubt that a complete Noveske is in my top 3-5 period.

@jwise - Running suppressed it is nice to have the switchblock feature as barrel length decreases.
      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• I was at the local cop-shop today checking out patrol rifles, mostly pretty standard Colts to me. I'm extremely untrained in these at this point, but was just checking out guns for kicks. I've read through much of this thread, and I don't recall ever seeing a Wilson Combat AR-15 mentioned. In fact, I'm a 1911 guy and I didn't even know Wilson Combat made an AR. The shop had one there, and I REALLY liked the trigger compared to the Colt and RRA's that they had. It was basic...adjustable stock and flip-up rear sight were really the only things on it. They were asking $1600 which is quite a bit, but then again, it's Wilson Combat...

Anyone have anything to say about these rifles, quality, price, etc??
        "All that is, ever
        Ever was, will be, ever
        Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

• Originally posted by fishAK View Post
          I was at the local cop-shop today checking out patrol rifles, mostly pretty standard Colts to me. I'm extremely untrained in these at this point, but was just checking out guns for kicks. I've read through much of this thread, and I don't recall ever seeing a Wilson Combat AR-15 mentioned. In fact, I'm a 1911 guy and I didn't even know Wilson Combat made an AR. The shop had one there, and I REALLY liked the trigger compared to the Colt and RRA's that they had. It was basic...adjustable stock and flip-up rear sight were really the only things on it. They were asking $1600 which is quite a bit, but then again, it's Wilson Combat...

Anyone have anything to say about these rifles, quality, price, etc??
          I don't have any experience with their complete rifles, but the Wilson TTU is a nice trigger. For the same money though, I'd rather have an AR Gold or a Geissele. For LE work, I would say a milspec trigger would be your best option because it will be the most reliable and liability proof trigger you can get. Surf also has a great video on youtube showing that you can shoot plenty fast with a stock milspec trigger.
          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• jwise thanks for all the info it lead me to buy this nice little guy. DD XV EZ very nice gun and shoots like a dream. keep up the good work bro.. Oh and my XDM 45acp 4.5 is also there.
            DD XDM.jpg
            Last edited by was123; 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Jwise, this has been an amazing compendium of worthwhile information that would take one years to acquire on his own. I wish I had it before I purchased my Bushmaster about 15 or so years ago. I just ordered a BCM and they are up front with each and every spec and detail of their rifles. It is almost, if not outright, impossible to determine the materials BM uses to construct its rifles. I guess it kinda hit me when I saw a BM on display in Walmart. I never really had any problems with mine but I felt "cheap" seeing "my rifle" being sold by those who didn't know a firing pin from a penis.
              This epic post should be required reading for anyone considering an AR platform. I sincerely thank you for your undertaking and the dissemination of years of knowledge based on experience instead of hearsay. Though still no expert, I do know now when someone is ****in on my leg that it ain't rain.
              GOOD JOB from an ex brother in arms.

Comment

• This is my new 3gun rifle... it's almost done. I've got a Troy TRX Extreme 13" FF handguard, SJC Titan Comp and a Geissle SD3G trigger on order.

Colt LE6920 Upper
                Spike's BCG
                Spike's Lower
                Spike's LPK
                Vltor EMod Stock
                Spike's Ambi Safety
                Burris Tac30 1-4x24 in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount

20120209_175102.jpg

I just took it out to the range late yesterday to get it zeroed and it's accurate enough to consistently hit a steel IPSC target at 300 yards.
                Attached Files
                Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Haven't read through the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned. Is there a similar thread that is as informative as this for shotguns?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nate88 View Post
                    Haven't read through the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned. Is there a similar thread that is as informative as this for shotguns?
                    Sorry, no. I have a write-up on AK's and 1911's, however...
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Jwise Are you familiar with the 300 acc blackout? Is it as simple as dropping a 300 acc upper on any standard AR lower and using standard AR-15 mags?

Comment

• That's the rumor.
                        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• https://danieldefense.com/daniel-def...-blackout.html

Here's one. Should fit in any lower, apparently. I don't understand how this round works. They say it is ballistically similar to the .308 which seems counter-intuitive to it's small size.
                          "All that is, ever
                          Ever was, will be, ever
                          Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

• Just wanted to say thanks to Jwise and everyone else for added content. I had an okay idea of what I was looking for but my knowledge is much more broad after reading through some of this thread (it would take days to read it all!!). My starting setup will be:
                            Del-Ton Upper Receiver: A3 Flat-Top
                            Barrel Length: 16"
                            Barrel Contour: Heavy
                            Barrel Material: 4140 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel
                            Muzzle Thread Pattern: 1/2"-28
                            Chrome Lined: Yes
                            Barrel Finish: Manganese Phosphate (Parkerized)
                            Twist Rate: 1 in 7"
                            Chamber: 5.56x45mm NATO
                            M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
                            Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
                            Gas System Length: Mid
                            Gas Block Diameter: 0.750"
                            Handguard: 2-Piece Polymer w/Heatshield
                            Sights: F-Marked Fixed Front, No Rear

Currently out of stock, but it will take me a little to actually get the funds together anyway. I could get in on 1 in 9 twist barrels and the carbine gas system, but I'd rather have a solid upper from jump and upgrade the rest of the rifle as I go. This will not be a duty rifle. My goal is to become a law enforcement officer, however. So if the agency I join allows me to use my own rifle, I have a practical setup and I'm well trained and familiar with the weapon. Until then, 3-gun shoots, plinking, and any training I can afford!

Thanks again all.

Comment

• Be Forewarned

What started out as some casual reading during a family vacation last summer quickly turned into some intense research. After 6 months of scrutiny I felt confident enough to take the plunge. This is the culmination. Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge to this thread which enabled myself, who had very little to no experience with AR’s, to learn enough and allow me to make educated decisions on building my own. Thanks Again

AR15_2b.jpg

Comment

• First off, a quick thanks to jwise (and everyone else who has contributed).

I've been following this thread since 2008... and I finally got around to buying an AR... and even then, I couldn't just buy a complete one...

Noveske "Chainsaw" stripped lower
                                Bravo Company 16" M4 upper
                                Bravo Company M16 Bolt Carrier Group
                                DPMS LPK
                                DPMS buffer tube assembly
                                Magpul furniture

In a few weeks... I should be up and running.
                                RIP EPD Kilcullen EOW April 22nd, 2011

The wicked flee when no man pursueth but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8867 users online. 429 members and 8438 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X