300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpul Couplers?

Can anyone offer suggestions for a mag coupler that works well with 30-round Magpul PMAG's or EMAG's? Per Magpul's website, they recommend Boonie Packer Redi-Mags® ($79.95+) or Buffer Technologies 30-Round AR-15 Mag Cinch ($19.95).

I'm not willing to spend eighty bucks at this point (although any opinion regarding Redi-Mags is greatly appreciated). I am mostly seeking opinions from anyone who has used a Mag Cinch or any other mag coupler with PMAGS or EMAGS. Thanks in advance.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z, where X is work, Y is play, Z is keep your mouth shut."
    – Albert Einstein

Comment

• For when the shtf

JWISE - SURF - help my dudes!

Your mission - if you choose to accept it - is to purchase one new 16" AR that will run suppressed 95% of the time in a SHTF scenario to protect your family, neighbors, and church. Two options lay before you - KAC SR15 or a Noveske 16" Light Recce W/VIS & SWITCHBLOCK.

JWISE/SURF initial intelligence reports suggest that the switchblock on the Noveske will cause the least amount of wear and tear on all internals when turned to the suppressed setting. No such system exists on an SR15. Also, given that the supply of whoppers will become scarce, your dudes advise you to hunt to supplement your diet. They've wisely recommended a CMMG .22lr conversion kit that will fit in your bug out along with spare ammo. Due to the KAC's proprietary E3 bolt, the conversion kit is useless if you opt for this gun. Lastly, should your SR15 fail you, you better pray to God that you'll find a new BCG or be able to trade for one.

Everyone raves about the weight and smooth action of the SR15, but smooth won't mean much when bad guys sling lead as your family ducks for cover behind you. You return fire, the bad guys are neutralized, you extract, and you survive another day. That night at dinner huddled round the campfire, you think of calmer days when of a couple dudes who ran the most epic of all AR threads gave you the advice that helped you to accomplish your mission. They told you to pick the Noveske. Were they right???
      Last edited by TaskForce20; 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• The 22lr conversion kits are

(1) very, and I do mean VERY picky about the ammo you feed them.

(2) 22lr conversions can still be jam-o-matics even with their favorite ammo.

(3) Shoot enough 22lr down the tube and you clog up the gas port and some claim ruin the barrel.

(4) If you want an AR that shoots 22lr, get one that is dedicated to just that and have a real AR for when SHTF.

(5) The plastic mags for the conversion don't hold up well.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Hey Jwise, Surf, and everyone else.
          I am looking for some advice on buying my first AR. I am a non LEO looking for an AR to plink with, defend the house, and keep away the zombies. I admit I have not read the entire thread yet, but have read the first 25 and the last 25 pages. The wife has me on a budget of about $1000 for my upper. So far from what I have read this is what I have on my shopping list.
          BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
          BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
          BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch
          Daniel Defense Omega Rail 9 Mid Length
          Daniel Defense fixed rear
          $1016 for this assembly based on the prices on the BCM website.
          If you had this kind of budget and wanted to build an AR that is top notch and will last a lifetime would you go with this build or would you do something different.

Also, I am going with the Spikes lower as this seems to meet everyone's approval.
          Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

• Taskforce- first, let me say that your writing style cracked me up.

I don't endorse "boutique" rifles, even if they are made by such reputable companies as KAC. I have explained my position on this topic at length elsewhere on this forum. Perhaps a search function would reveal it. Not sure...

The Noveske has some interesting features. The switchblock might be very useful for your needs. I am not sure if it is really needed on a 16" rifle.

You know, it is surprising that I went to great lengths to give some advice and my opinions on what a good "hard use" rifle would be, just for you to discount those suggestions because you think your needs are unique.

Blackdog- don't you run a suppressor on a 16" rifle?

Surf- what are your experiences with running an AR suppressed?
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scog View Post
              So far from what I have read this is what I have on my shopping list.
              BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
              BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
              BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch
              Daniel Defense Omega Rail 9 Mid Length
              Daniel Defense fixed rear
              You have obviously read, understood, and applied what is written in this thread.

That rifle would serve anyone just fine.
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                The 22lr conversion kits are

(1) very, and I do mean VERY picky about the ammo you feed them.

(2) 22lr conversions can still be jam-o-matics even with their favorite ammo.

(3) Shoot enough 22lr down the tube and you clog up the gas port and some claim ruin the barrel.

(4) If you want an AR that shoots 22lr, get one that is dedicated to just that and have a real AR for when SHTF.

(5) The plastic mags for the conversion don't hold up well.
                Your experience is not the same as mine. I am a BIG fan of my Ciener conversion kit, and it fills an important role in my collection.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                  Your experience is not the same as mine. I am a BIG fan of my Ciener conversion kit, and it fills an important role in my collection.
                  jwise, I used it on one CMMG 16". Don't recall the recommended ammo, but it jammed something awful with it. CCI performed the best. I think the Ceiner just too sensitive to what ammo I used. Even with the CCI. I could tell from the sound of a rd going off if it cycled properly or not. I never got through and entire mag without at least one jam.

The first mag one of the lips broke off in less than 100rds. 2nd mag a bit longer. Haven't used the third. CMMG was good to swap the broken mags out. The Ciener kit hasn't seen the light of day for a couple of years now.
                  sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Wow! That is very different than my experience. My Ciener kit hasn't been flawless, but that is more a function of the ammo, in that duds (light primer strikes) occur more frequently with tongues ammo.

I use Federal bulk-pack copper-washes high velocity ammo with mine.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise, it's funny that you mentioned duds. When I was a kid 50 years ago, the worst ammo for duds was Federal(in rimfire & center fire) and Remington was the absolute best. I never had a dud from Remington back then. Now fast forward to these days and it is just the opposite. Remington is the least reliable(in rimfire) while Federal, even though not perfect, is the most reliable between the two.
                      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by Scog View Post
                        Also, I am going with the Spikes lower as this seems to meet everyone's approval.
                        Thanks for your thoughts
                        I'd consider a BCM "blemished" lower for about the same price as the one from Spike's.

Mine showed up last week and I can't even see a blemish. I think it's just their old logo.
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

jwise, it's funny that you mentioned duds. When I was a kid 50 years ago, the worst ammo for duds was Federal(in rimfire & center fire) and Remington was the absolute best. I never had a dud from Remington back then. Now fast forward to these days and it is just the opposite. Remington is the least reliable(in rimfire) while Federal, even though not perfect, is the most reliable between the two.
                          I refuse to buy any Remington ammo after getting a batch of 10mm casings in with my .40sw. I burned through over 2k rounds of 180FMJ Federal rounds during the academy and never had one malfunction.

Comment

• Originally posted by showme View Post
                            I refuse to buy any Remington ammo after getting a batch of 10mm casings in with my .40sw. I burned through over 2k rounds of 180FMJ Federal rounds during the academy and never had one malfunction.
                            Another reason not to buy Remington is 'The Freedom Group', a front company for George Soros bought Bushmaster,Marlin,Remington,DPMS, Dakota Arms and H&R.
                            sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Another reason not to buy Remington is 'The Freedom Group', a front company for George Soros bought Bushmaster,Marlin,Remington,DPMS, Dakota Arms and H&R.
                              the NRA states that this information is in error.
                              "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

• Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                                I can verify this gap in quality control. At a recent EAG Tactical course with Pat Rogers and Mike Hueser, a student's PSA lower went down early on the first day due to a bad hammer spring and a sear and hammer that appeared to be out of spec. I didn't get my hands on the lower, but that's what Mike Hueser alluded to. The student tossed it in the case and went to a loaner BCM from Pat's inventory.
                                That said, there are plenty of people extolling the great value of the PSA rifles and lowers. Personally, I prefer to stick with companies that have more consistency, but that's just me.
                                Was it a PSA LPK or some other brand?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5741 users online. 251 members and 5490 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X