Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dvoigt View Post
    Hey Jwise,

Just wanted to say thanks for the great write up. I researched purchases like this for years before pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a purchase. Your write up gave me the confidence to know what to look for on an AR and I picked up a nice used Spike 16" middy.
    Great choice! Glad I could help your buying decision.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Daniel Defense LE Packages and Financing?

Re Daniel Defense LE pricing: according to an article published on policeoneDOTcom yesterday, they are offering a 1 year interest free loan to LE (if backed by Dept payroll deduction for payment) on LE specific packages built around all their currently offered carbines. They also claim to have a LE holdback inventory "For law enforcement, we know they need their weapons now, so we have an inventory for them. If a police officer orders a package today, it will be shipped out tomorrow, and he’ll have it for use the next day."

Packages include 6 Pmags, red dot optic (Busnell TRS-25 Tactical), and a patrol bag. Runs from basic with the M4V1 to lightweight M4V5, to SBR M4V4 with 11.5" barrel, and a marksman with a bushnell 2.5x16 optic and side mount red dot.

I'm registered as LE on DD's site but haven't found these packages or the details of the offer. I've shot out a note to them to get particulars on the program.

You can find the article on the above site under products then firearms. I'll update when I hear back from DD. seems like a great way to get into a great rifle!
      Last edited by 5hortbus; 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Any opinions or comments on the Palmetto State Armory 16" 5.56, M4A1 Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Patrol Carbine for $999?

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nine29 View Post
          Any opinions or comments on the Palmetto State Armory 16" 5.56, M4A1 Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Patrol Carbine for $999?

Looks like a great gun, it's got all of the features that will make it perform reliably (staked gas key, HP/MP/Shot peened bolt) and it's a mil spec barrel and to top it off it comes with an aimpoint? That is a great deal, haha.
          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
            Looks like a great gun, it's got all of the features that will make it perform reliably (staked gas key, HP/MP/Shot peened bolt) and it's a mil spec barrel and to top it off it comes with an aimpoint? That is a great deal, haha.
            Considering that the Aimpoint PRO goes for about $400, that seems like a heck of a deal!
            "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

• AR help please

I have a CMMG AR-15 that I have had for a while. Its been a great gun so far but this weekend I put 300 rounds through it. When I got home I noticed the pin that hold's the trigger in place had started to drift out. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from drifting? I was able to push it back in.

Comment

• Originally posted by charles353 View Post
                I have a CMMG AR-15 that I have had for a while. Its been a great gun so far but this weekend I put 300 rounds through it. When I got home I noticed the pin that hold's the trigger in place had started to drift out. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from drifting? I was able to push it back in.
                These will solve the problem for you, just do some reading to make sure you get the right diameter. Should be something you can do yourself too if you are into that stuff.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR371-7.html
                "When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun. When the law break in, how you gonna go? Shot down on the pavement, or waiting in death row." - President Barack Obama

Comment

• I've shot about 500 rounds through my BCM so far. WOW is this thing great. I seriously love it. Just figured out how to zero in elevation so I should be shooting center very soon! God bless America.
                  Last edited by jjbledsoe; 10-26-2011, 12:56 PM.
                  Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nine29 View Post
                    Any opinions or comments on the Palmetto State Armory 16" 5.56, M4A1 Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Patrol Carbine for $999?

That is a hell of a deal with the included Aimpoint. Problem being is that recently PSA has been having some serious quality control issues. They are at least aware of the problem, have acknowledged them and are attempting to fix the problems. Unfortunately I think that they just grew way too quickly as has been seen before in the firearms industry that they hired a bunch of monkeys that they paid in bananas to assemble firearms just to meet the demands.

They use high quality parts from known quality sources but there is a lot more to building a good rifle then having a bunch of monkeys throw those parts together to form something that resembles a rifle. PSA is extremely lucky that the mistakes that were made did not severely injure or kill someone as it could have easily happened. I would actually love to get all the parts from PSA at their price offerings if I could just assemble the entire weapon myself. If anyone does purchase from PSA, I would highly suggest having someone who knows the platform extremely well go over the entire weapon. At the minimum an accurate armorers checklist type of assessment should be performed.

I will also add that there are far more happy customers than those who have received bad items. However the number of bad items and the way in which the screw ups were made range from pure rookie mistakes that should have been caught during quality control inspection and some are flat out extremely dangerous to the user. Some mistakes being so obvious that it is also obvious that zero inspection or quality control was done on the items. Again PSA has admitted to this problem and are addressing it and hopefully they learned a valuable lesson. I also hope things work and I'm sure it will because a good quality manufacturer in the business helps everyone.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
                      That is a hell of a deal with the included Aimpoint. Problem being is that recently PSA has been having some serious quality control issues. They are at least aware of the problem, have acknowledged them and are attempting to fix the problems. Unfortunately I think that they just grew way too quickly as has been seen before in the firearms industry that they hired a bunch of monkeys that they paid in bananas to assemble firearms just to meet the demands.

They use high quality parts from known quality sources but there is a lot more to building a good rifle then having a bunch of monkeys throw those parts together to form something that resembles a rifle. PSA is extremely lucky that the mistakes that were made did not severely injure or kill someone as it could have easily happened. I would actually love to get all the parts from PSA at their price offerings if I could just assemble the entire weapon myself. If anyone does purchase from PSA, I would highly suggest having someone who knows the platform extremely well go over the entire weapon. At the minimum an accurate armorers checklist type of assessment should be performed.

I will also add that there are far more happy customers than those who have received bad items. However the number of bad items and the way in which the screw ups were made range from pure rookie mistakes that should have been caught during quality control inspection and some are flat out extremely dangerous to the user. Some mistakes being so obvious that it is also obvious that zero inspection or quality control was done on the items. Again PSA has admitted to this problem and are addressing it and hopefully they learned a valuable lesson. I also hope things work and I'm sure it will because a good quality manufacturer in the business helps everyone.
                      Excellent information...just what I wanted to know. Thanks for the post...

Comment

• Surf, Jwise, Blackdog and David, what do you all think of this company?

http://specialopstactical.com

Two special coatings that help make our High Quality AR15's the best in the World !
                        We use a special blended QpQ/ Melonite process on our barrels. Which is basically a Salt bath nitrocarburizing treatment. I'll explain why ours is the best on the market and how oxidation relates to friction. The intermetallic stricture (which is the Degree of Contact) of the compound layer, contains epsilon iron nitride formed during nitrocarburizing, that makes the metal extremely resistant to adhesive wear and scuffing and unlike with CHROME surfaces, the coefficient of friction of nitrocarburized QP and QPQ treated surfaces remains constant, even at varying sliding speeds and friction. After the nitrocarburizing or MELONITNG process is complete it's SCUFF resistance is increased nearly five times.
                        Once a Coating is derived it can be Optimized to Enhance certian properties of the metal being coated. We use a Special Blend of QpQ/z that has been perfected or optimized to enhance certian properties of our metals being treated. This is one process that helps make our rifles and components the best in the WORLD.
                        NICKEL BORON is the second high tech coating we use. Nickel Boron is a SUPERALLOY!
                        Nickel Boron is process that delivers the highest hardness ratings of any substance, exceeding Rockwell Hardness of 70. Harder than a diamond! This Provides unsurpassed WEAR and HEAT PROTECTION. This coating is used widely in the Military for, Jet Engines, Transmissions, Under Water Applications, Weapons and much more! A substance properly coated with Nickel Boron feels like Smooth GLASS!
                        With Our Nickel Boron Coated Barrel Extension with Extended Feed Ramps along with our Specially Coated Melonited Barrel and Super High Quality MilSpec Rated Steel Makes for the Most Durable, Smoothest, Most Accurate & Highest Quality Barrels in Existance!
                        With so many choices of AR15's ours is the BEST!! Once you shoot one of our Rilfes or Uppers.... you'll have to buy one Guaranteed

Comment

• Taylor,

The President, Garrett Potter used to be with Spikes. Interestingly enough the specs on parts looks very much like Spikes, so he probably sources his parts from the same place that Spikes uses.

The name of the site is cheesy, the catch phrases and proliferate use of the term mil spec is cheesy, Ni Boron BCG is tits on a bull IMO, put prices are right around those of Spikes. We need to also remember that having a bunch of great parts does not necessarily equal a great product, as the PSA topic above. I will say that I have never handles one of their weapons so I could not give any first hand opinions. However in an "ideal" situation if the weapons are built correctly, the specs on paper and price point are solid.
                          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Surf, thank you very much for the input, always appreciate the input from you. I am cautioned by extremely cheese names. It seemed on par with Spikes, and at the gunshow was next to all the similar budget AR guys, including Tactical Weapons Solutions who makes an almost exact same rifle as Spikes but with a different barrel.

I asked the rep why I should consider his gun over others. He said in a torture test they outlasted Colt, Bushmaster, Spikes and Rock River by nearly 1200 rounds. He also said that Jacksonville Sheriffs Office (Florida) SWAT is all using the rifle. Seems a little good to be true, but I don't know anyone at Jax so I can't call him on that. Do you think it's BS when they start naming who uses their product and who they've outlasted or is that legitimate?
                            Last edited by Taylor13; 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                              Do you think it's BS when they start naming who uses their product and who they've outlasted or is that legitimate?
                              It's done quite commonly in the firearms biz. If it's legit or not depends on if you can prove it.

I can say that the SEALs use my tactical Jockstrap, but who is going to take a poll?
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post

I can verify this gap in quality control. At a recent EAG Tactical course with Pat Rogers and Mike Hueser, a student's PSA lower went down early on the first day due to a bad hammer spring and a sear and hammer that appeared to be out of spec. I didn't get my hands on the lower, but that's what Mike Hueser alluded to. The student tossed it in the case and went to a loaner BCM from Pat's inventory.
                                That said, there are plenty of people extolling the great value of the PSA rifles and lowers. Personally, I prefer to stick with companies that have more consistency, but that's just me.
                                Last edited by Reedo; 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM.
                                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                                -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16443 users online. 327 members and 16116 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X