300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW
    I moved away from P-Mags back to USGI 20- and 30-rounders, mostly 30-rounders.
    I still have a few P-Mags but I seldom use them. I have read many times where a P-Mag doesn't drop free from certain guns. So, they have to be sanded to drop free. Plus because of their slightly larger size and longer length, they don't fit well in standard pouches. If you double stack P-Mags in a pouch, they tend to hang up when you try to pull one mag out, they both come out. But all of this said...I think P-Mags are the best plastic mags going.

I probably have 100 USGI mags and about 50 of them are new. I put MagPul Followers in all of the USGI's. In the past month, I picked up another 40 NIB Okay's the past month for right at $7-$8 each. All mags are disposable so I can get 3 USGI's for the price of 2 P-Mags.

If the day ever comes where hicap mags are outlawed (in the real La.), it will be easier to find USGI parts (I already have a lot) and since I have never read about a USGI mag not dropping free from some gun, the USGI's might become a desirable bartering item.

But please don't read this as P-Mag bashing. I like MagPul and have a lot of their stuff on my guns but just not their P-Mags for me at this time. If I get where I think I have enough USGI's, I will start accumulating P-Mags.

Just a note, I have seen a few rare posts about P-Mags cracking or splitting, seems to be with the non-black mags. Just an observation, not saying it is an epidemic or anything...

But maybe it’s just me…

Comment

• Originally posted by HEDP View Post
      I just ordered a new S&W M&P with a 1/9 twist.

I want to shoot 64 grain Winchester Power Points out of it for deer. Will that not be accurate?

How big of grains could I go for deer with that rate of twist?
      I shot my first deer with a Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP out of a 1/9 twist 16" AR. The rifle really liked those rounds. I think 69gr is about as heavy as I would go with a 1/9, but I wouldn't be surprised to find some barrels don't handle it too well.

Here's a picture from that same trip, where I downed this hog with the same rifle/ammo combo. I put one round in its head and it dropped fairly quickly.

You should see the OTHER side of its head!
      Last edited by jwise; 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ucrt View Post
        I have read many times where a P-Mag doesn't drop free from certain guns. So, they have to be sanded to drop free.
        That is true. I have an inferior "High Standard" lower that does not drop P-Mags free.

Plus because of their slightly larger size and longer length, they don't fit well in standard pouches.
        Again, this is true. I have USGI mags in most of my mag pouches (3-mag USGI pouches). But I keep P-Mags in my load bearing equipment (vests, chest rigs, in the gun, etc...)

If you double stack P-Mags in a pouch, they tend to hang up when you try to pull one mag out, they both come out.
        Again, this is true. I usually don't double-up P-Mags for this reason. These were all thoughtful critiques of the P-Mag. They are not wonder-mags, but they work well for their intended purpose. Their flared base that allows them to be easily retrieved from a pouch makes them bind together if doubled-up, etc...

I had some reliability issues out of one of my rifles a few years ago. I replaced all my followers with Magpul followers, and the problem went away. To purchase a new USGI mag and then replace its follower would make it cost the same as a P-Mag. So I just buy P-Mags. However, I haven't bought any in a while.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
          I shot my first deer with a Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP out of a 1/9 twist 16" AR. The rifle really liked those rounds. I think 69gr is about as heavy as I would go with a 1/9, but I wouldn't be surprised to find some barrels don't handle it too well.

Here's a picture from that same trip, where I downed this hog with the same rifle/ammo combo. I put one round in its head and it dropped fairly quickly.

You should see the OTHER side of its head!

Nice.

I'll have to test some rounds out now.

Comment

• I have many many Pmags and they are great mags. However about a year ago I transitioned back to quality USGI mags (Colt in particular) with Magpul followers and ranger plates. It is not any more economical but I particularly like the way the USGI mags pull from pouches and more reliably drop from the weapon, even weapons that Pmags drop free from.

Now if I was going off to a far far away place and had no access to mags for a few years, I would probably opt for the Pmag. However quality USGI mags set up to my preference actually perform better. YMMV.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
              I like P-Mags:

I like that chest rig!

Comment

• The only advantage PMags have over steel is when both are empty, the PMag doesn't make as much noise when you drop them.
                sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I went out and bought a Colt LE 6920 yesterday. I would just like to thank JWise for all the input about different rifles out there.

Now I just have to save some money for accessories.
                  Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

• What's the verdict on the Sig Sauer M400?

Comment

• Originally posted by Off!cer X View Post
                      What's the verdict on the Sig Sauer M400?

No 'verdict' as of now, but it seems to have its stuff together:

* Chrome-lined bore
                      * Phosphate coated barrel
                      * 1/7 twist barrel

The rest is unknown as of now. The Sig Sauer website doesn't have all the information I would like to see. The lower looks nice, as it has sling mounting points, ambi mag release, etc...
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Not sure if this has been asked but JWise could you enlighten me with your thoughts of the SIG 556 for a patrol rifle? I ask because one I can get a good deal on one and two it handles and shoots really well.

Comment

• Finished my BCM rifle the other day, what a solid piece of machinery! Can't wait to shoot it. It was a blast building this thing, lots of fun making decisions and piecing it together over a 4 month span. I actually have a UTG quad rail sitting in my room, just waiting to take it to my gunsmith to put it on.

04/15/2011
                          - $325.00 - ROCK RIVER ARMS 5.56 COMPLETE LOWER RECIEVER GROUP
                          05/05/2011
                          - $399.00 - BRAVO COMPANY MANUFACTURING STANDARD 16" MID LENGTH UPPER RECIEVER GROUP
                          05/13/2011
                          - $22.95 - BCM AR15 CHARGING HANDLE
                          - $139.95 - BCM BOLT CARRIER GROUP (MPI) AUTO
                          06/12/2011
                          - $19.95 - ERGO SUREGRIP BLACK
                          - $33.20 - MAGPUL MOE HANDGUARD MID LENGTH BLACK
                          - $11.30 - MAGPUL MOE POLYMER L2 RAIL SECTION 5 SLOTS (2)
                          - $28.40 - MAGPUL PMAG 30 RND MAGAZINE BLACK (2)
                          - $65.00 - DANIEL DEFENSE A 1.5 REAR IRON SIGHT
                          07/5/2011
                          - $67.99 - UTG 2-IN-1 TACTICAL LED FLASHLIGHT W/ LASER
                          - $15.59 - BLACKHAWK 2 POINT SLING 1.25"
                          - $29.99 - UTG LAW ENFORCEMENT METAL VERTICAL FOREGRIP
                          - $234.11 - BROWN BEAR .223 FMJ 55 GR AMMO (1000)
                          TOTAL
                          ----- $1,161.92 - TOTAL - AMMUNITION
                          ----- $1,396.03 - TOTAL + AMMUNITION
                          ----- $985.10 - COMPLETE RIFLE ONLY - LOWER, UPPER, CHARGING HANDLE, BOLT CARRIER GROUP, HANDGUARD, REAR SIGHT
                          ----- $173.62 - ACCESSORIES - ERGO SUREGRIP, MAGPUL MAGAZINE (2), MAGPUL RAILS (2), UTG 2-IN-1, BLACKHAWK SLING, UTG VERTICAL FOREGRIP
                          Last edited by jjbledsoe; 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM.
                          Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Originally posted by trphunt View Post
                            Not sure if this has been asked but JWise could you enlighten me with your thoughts of the SIG 556 for a patrol rifle? I ask because one I can get a good deal on one and two it handles and shoots really well.
                            http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=jwise
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Bump to keep it on the front page.

Gratuitous AR pic
                              "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• jjbledso that's a fine looking AR and good job on KISS. Very good photography too

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17284 users online. 498 members and 16786 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X