Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can get to a longer range. I have been meaning to go out to Kenmore range near Seattle but they require loading one round at a a time. Should be ok, I have 5 mags.

The 50/200 battle sight refers to a2 sights. I have no elevation adjustment on mine.

Daniel defense took aperture from a2 and windage and lack of elevation from a1.

So I will set mechanical zero, use large aperture and pick a distance to zero. 25 meter sight target is easy to find so I may use that. Then switch to small aperture at longer ranges. Will be interesting to see.

Must be a good rifle as I had very good groups about where I was aiming and I am not a trained marksman. Just tried to control my breathing and not anticipate the shot.

There was supposed to be a vertical grip and a call to Daniel defense led to an immediate shipment to me of the part. I was impressed with quality of Daniel defense upper, omega rail also very nice. I am lucky to live near Rainier arms shop as they are a quality shop.

Comment

• The 50/200 battlesight refers to the fact that if your rifle is zeroed at 50yds, it will be a couple inches high at 100yds, and dead-on at 200yds. It has nothing to do with an A2 sight.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• For any who may be interested, i see The Chart has been re-posted.
        The new version is however only populated with data as provided by (10) manufacturers who expressed interested in being included.
        https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...=2&output=html

Comment

• So i went ahead and got the Spikes Lower!
          and RRA lower parts kit (w/ 2 stage) is on the way from rainier!
          (also bullet button to 'satisfy' Roberti-Roos)

I was planning on finishing it with BCM 16"/mid upper, BCG & Charging Handle +DD omega 9"
          but i notice the local shop just got a DD 16"/mid with the 12" rail all ready to go
          i did the math and it's w/in $20 of the cost of all the above BCM parts.

Its my understanding DD & BCM are both considered first tier. (along with LMT whats that other one?..oh yeah Colt! ;> )
          is their reason i should favor one marq over the other?

Furthermore is the already assembled DD upper likely to have any advantages of fit, over me assembling one out of all BCM parts (i have no prior experience with smithing but do metal work, and have always maintained my own motorcycles, so i'm not intimidated by tooling)

corollary question... do ya'll have recommendations for fore grip length?
          I was planning on the 9" thinking shorter = lighter & thinner profile is better.
          but when looking at the DD, the clerk emphasized the longer rail allows you grip further out which he suggested gives you more control. I imagine this is very subjective and point of personal preference... but i'd love to hear some of you share your preference and/or thoughts what's good for a beginner.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
            The 50/200 battlesight refers to the fact that if your rifle is zeroed at 50yds, it will be a couple inches high at 100yds, and dead-on at 200yds. It has nothing to do with an A2 sight.
            True but half of the instructions for battle sight zero seem to be dealing with the elevation wheel of a2 sight and how to set it to -2 from 8/3. I do not have this wheel. Then he says on patrol to set to 8/3 and large aperture.

He also has carrying handle so that raises rear sight. So That makes my sight picture a little differernt. I will just zero it and try it at different distances. 25/300 or 50/200. And see what happens. I think if I want to try to follow instructions exactly for any procedure I need to have same setup and sight picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by another_FNG View Post
              So i went ahead and got the Spikes Lower!

I was planning on finishing it with BCM 16"/mid upper, BCG & Charging Handle +DD omega 9"
              but i notice the local shop just got a DD 16"/mid with the 12" rail all ready to go

Its my understanding DD & BCM are both considered first tier. (along with LMT whats that other one?..oh yeah Colt! ;> )

Furthermore is the already assembled DD upper likely to have any advantages of fit, over me assembling one out of all BCM parts (i have no prior experience with smithing but do metal work, and have always maintained my own motorcycles, so i'm not intimidated by tooling)

I was planning on the 9" thinking shorter = lighter & thinner profile is better.
              but when looking at the DD, the clerk emphasized the longer rail allows you grip further out which he suggested gives you more control. I imagine this is very subjective and point of personal preference... but i'd love to hear some of you share your preference and/or thoughts what's good for a beginner.
              That 12" rail on the DD upper is in fact going to allow you to get further out on the handguard which is going to allow you to track targets and transition faster. In addition, you will have a longer sight radius for your irons which will help with accuracy. I would go ahead and get the DD upper as you can't go wrong with their products, and I'd much rather have a 12" than a 9" rail.
              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by another_FNG View Post
                So i went ahead and got the Spikes Lower!

I've also heard well about DD. Just check their specs vs. BCM's. Do they have the M4 ramps? Chromed chamber/barrel? Proper twist rate? Just check all that stuff out and if any of it concerns you then wait for the BCM - if not then get it. I don't think pre-fitted together vs. coming in parts will make a big deal, most of it is pretty simple, but again up to you! The DD is quality and in stock, if the specs are for you then go for it!

I've gathered over reading and asking questions that mid length gas system and mid length handguards are the "best". Everyone has different needs, but middys aren't too long, aren't too short, and can fit anything a shorty or a long one can.
                Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tr182doc View Post
                  True but half of the instructions for battle sight zero seem to be dealing with the elevation wheel of a2 sight and how to set it to -2 from 8/3. I do not have this wheel. Then he says on patrol to set to 8/3 and large aperture.

He also has carrying handle so that raises rear sight. So That makes my sight picture a little differernt. I will just zero it and try it at different distances. 25/300 or 50/200. And see what happens. I think if I want to try to follow instructions exactly for any procedure I need to have same setup and sight picture.
                  Remember that the target audience of that pdf was .mil types, who are issued rifles with the A2 rear sight assembly.......don't over-think it, just ignore all the stuff about the elevation drum. The height of the rear aperture in the DD sight is the same as the one in a carry handle if you aren't dinking around with an elevation drum.

The whole point of the 50/200 BZO is that from 0 to ~260 yards, you don't have to mess with elevation.......hold dead on and your bullet will strike within +/- 2" of POA. As a comparison, with the 25 yd zero, at 100 yds POI is almost 9" above POA. (I dug out my copy of that SWAT article this morning! )

There will be a POI shift between the large and small apertures, as much as 6 MOA, plus a bit of windage shift. One product I really like is the XS Same Plane rear aperture:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...APERTURE_SIGHT

There is no POI shift when flipping between small and large apertures. It is a direct replacement for the A2 aperture.
                  "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

• There was talk that DD compensated for windage shift by having aperture not lined up horizontally. As you flip it it is supposed to move and net effect is same horizontal plane.

So which aperture would you sight too? Large seems to make sense for battle sight. Small for target practice.

Comment

• I have Daniel defense upper complete set and it is very nice. My pictures were posted last week. Has all the specs mentioned in this forum. Fit my Rainier Arms lower with DD parts kit perfectly with no wiggle. They seem to be forgetting to pack vertical grip but will send it if you email.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tr182doc View Post
                        There was talk that DD compensated for windage shift by having aperture not lined up horizontally. As you flip it it is supposed to move and net effect is same horizontal plane.
                        https://danieldefense.com/components...ear-sight.html

Their specs say A2 aperture, which will have the off-set issues. Most products that have same-plane apertures usually advertise as such (i.e.-Troy).
                        "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

• Re: Zeros and trajectories

Here's enough info to make your brain hurt:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65679

Comment

• We are mere moments away from 1 MILLION hits for this thread on this website alone! I want to give a BIG shout out to all the professional and knowledgable people who carried this thread. Your wealth of knowledge has helped a LOT of new AR-15 buyers select quality rifles, and served to better equip those who go into harm's way.

THANK YOU!
                            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• 1,000,080 as of now. I think this is the first thread I've ever seen that has over a million views.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                                We are mere moments away from 1 MILLION hits for this thread on this website alone! I want to give a BIG shout out to all the professional and knowledgable people who carried this thread. Your wealth of knowledge has helped a LOT of new AR-15 buyers select quality rifles, and served to better equip those who go into harm's way.

THANK YOU!
                                And a big thank you and congratulations to you for getting the ball rolling here.

Here's to a million more!
                                Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4926 users online. 208 members and 4718 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X