Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Rainier BCG looks fantastic. Everything you want; nothing you don't.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Reedo View Post
      Is that measurement for the inside diameter to clear the barrel? If so, a standard carbine barrel at the gas port is .750".
      I'm not sure man. I don't know what the 1 1/16 or the 15/16 would mean then if 3/4 of an inch is what we're supposed to match it to.
      Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post
        I'm not sure man. I don't know what the 1 1/16 or the 15/16 would mean then if 3/4 of an inch is what we're supposed to match it to.
        I think the 1-1/16" is the one you would order if you had a heavy barrel (stainless bull barrel, etc...). As you have the standard barrel, the 15/16" is the one you want. If I am wrong, I apologize. I am just interpreting it the way I see it. Call to be sure.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Is there no way to see the entire posted photo any more?? Very annoying!

World_So_Cold

Comment

• Thanks for the input JWise. I will call them when it's time to order just in case.
            Pursuing the dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by needguidance View Post
              Is there no way to see the entire posted photo any more?? Very annoying!
              Probably a question for mod., but yes, very irritating.
              Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

• Hi Jwise,

Read and re read your forum post. Very helpful. Built an upper yesterday from parts at the local shop which happened to be Rainier Arms (seems like a great shop), then went back and bought the upper kit. Spent more than I had wanted to because the best upper kit that -- 1) had all the specs you mentioned and 2) was in stock -- had free float Daniel Defense Omega 9 rails so added $300 to cost but I thought it was a good system and adding it later means taking barrel off.

Bought a box of 500 Federal 55 gr and went to range (only had 25 yard range) excellent rifle, groups tight even though I am not a pro. Had to adjust windage and elevation a few clicks. The rear sight is OK but would like something different. Will have to wait on the red dot sight. I am into this a bit more than I wanted to be, don't want to upset the boss too much more than she already is! Shot 100 rounds and these pictures are of dirty rifle, sorry!

Lower Rainer Arms with Daniel Defense Parts kit
                Upper Specs Daniel Defense Group M4 V3:
                # Upper Receiver: A4 Upper Receiver with M4 Feed Ramps
                # Barrel Characteristics: 16″ Cold Hammer Forged, 5.56 NATO Chamber, 1:7 Twist, Govt Profile, Mid-Length Gas Port, Chrome Lined, Mil Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated, HP and MPI tested
                # Bolt Carrier Group: F/A BCG, HP and MPI Tested, Shot Peened Bolt, Extractor Booster, Properly Staked Gas Key
                # Flash Hider: A2 Bird Cage Flash Hider
                # Sights: A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight; F Marked Front Sight Base
                # Rail System: Omega X 9.0
                # Vertical Grip: Daniel Defense Vertical Gr
                Magpul CTR stock, grip, magazines.
                Magpul XTM rail panels

Rifle: Daniel Defense M4 V3 upper group

M4 Feed Ramps

Properly staked

F stamped

Rollmark

Full auto BCG

Comment

• I'm thinking of going with the Troy Tritium Rear Folding Battle Sight instead of the fixed DD rear sight. I figure I'm going to eventually get an optic and would like a fold down one then, so just as well spend another $30 for a quality sight. Here is the link to the sight, what do you all think? BCM shows good reviews of the same looking sight without tritium.
                  Pursuing the dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tr182doc View Post
                    Hi Jwise,

Read and re read your forum post. Very helpful. Built an upper yesterday from parts at the local shop which happened to be Rainier Arms (seems like a great shop), then went back and bought the upper kit. Spent more than I had wanted to because the best upper kit that -- 1) had all the specs you mentioned and 2) was in stock -- had free float Daniel Defense Omega 9 rails so added $300 to cost but I thought it was a good system and adding it later means taking barrel off.
                    That rifle is slick! It looks like its got everything you need on there, plus some style points for the CTR & MIAD grip! I would strongly suggest learning to use the sight as is. It is a quality unit that is well suited for the job.

Excellent purchase. It will serve you well.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks Jwise, there was a vertical grip left out that Daniel defense is sending me for free. I think I prefer to hold barrel.

I am trying to zero the sight and am trying to figure out how to do that. It is a combination of a1 and a2 style. It has apertures of a2 style but windage adjustment of a1 without any elevation adjustment. That is what I don't like. I would like elevation adjustment for distance.

At the range I had only 25 yd range and so using the small aperture got it zeroed to be sight picture on target groups ended up a few inches low. Which as I understand it is due to rising trajectory.

I did not realize that the aperture might have some compensation for elevation. At 25 yds I should have been using the large aperture. Should I then adjust front sight elevation until I am on target or let it be low and adjust my sight picture based on distance as I do not have elevation on my rear sight as an a2 sight would. So can not adjust sight quickly for range.

I am not an expert on this. I was given some diagrams about bullet trajectories and the rise and fall of bullet. I would like bullet to go where sights are aimed and not have to do a lot of compensation for basic shooting. I understand if I was shooting 300 yards then it is more complicated.

I was pretty pleased that my groups were pretty similar and accurate from standing and the bench. This is my first rifle. My other weapon is an HK USP 40.

Comment

• First off, elevation is dialed in with the front sight. The sight is not supposed to be a target sight, but a combat sight. Adjusting for range is not the purpose of the DD or LaRue sight.

As for sighting in a sight like this, you need to decide what distance you want your weapon dialed in for. Frankly, I think you should zero your weapon at 25yds.
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by nhyp1 View Post
                          Thanks, I will await your report and put in my order. I so appreciate the resource you all offer.
                          Good to go!
                          Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                            First off, elevation is dialed in with the front sight. The sight is not supposed to be a target sight, but a combat sight. Adjusting for range is not the purpose of the DD or LaRue sight.

As for sighting in a sight like this, you need to decide what distance you want your weapon dialed in for. Frankly, I think you should zero your weapon at 25yds.

While I totally agree with jwise on the first part, I'm going to have to disagree on the second part of this post. I prefer a 50/200 yard zero, as described in the below attachment:

http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

There was also an article in the October 2008 edition of SWAT magazine entitled "BATTLESIGHT ZERO - Who Has It Right?" by Lt. Col. Freddie Blish, USMC (Ret.), which compares four different setups. I have the magazine at home, but you can buy a pdf copy here for about $5:

http://www.swatmag.com/content/issue.../october_2008/

The gist is that with this zero, from 0-250 meters the POI will not differ from the POA by more than 2" high or low.
                            "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

• Yes, but you forgot one KEY point. He only has access to a 25yd range. Given that parameter, sight it in for 25yds. Otherwise, the 50/200 zero is preferred over the 25yd.
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Point taken, but if at 25 yards he sights in for POI to be 1.5" below POA, he should be just about on at 50/200. (that 1.5" is off the top of my head....can't pull up the trajectory chart right now).
                                "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5450 users online. 272 members and 5178 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X