Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by another_FNG View Post
    "Here is the BIG CHART. It shows what all the different manufacturers
    The BIG CHART is fluid and needs to be updated periodically.
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Lastly (for now) I noticed some discussion of a stiff break in period with zeplin's Ar #465... and have seen a friend have similar experiences... as someone who hopes to be working out a new new build in the next month or so...i'm wondering is their a spot in this thread, another thread, or could we start one, about Break in period, do's and dont's for a new AR
      Each rifle is different. Some may have heavier springs or parts for whatever reason. This is why you take it to the range and test fire it a bunch of times.

For what I've done, I clean all shipping and factory chemicals (grease, oil, etc) off the parts, and then lube the gun with some Slip2000 EWL (or any other synthetic lubricant like Militec-1, etc). Then you're ready to head to the range.
      For a build, the initial break-in period isn't just to wear in the springs and get them working consistently, but also an evaluation period. You are basically shooting the rifle to see if there are any deficiencies, problems or issues that may arise in the future. You're looking for things like gas leaks in the gas block and gas tube, cycling problems, indications of the timing being off due to high gas pressure and inadequate buffer/recoil compensation, seeing if anything is loose, or seeing if any parts don't work.
      Then, you also begin to develop a wear pattern in your rifle. This is where you'll be looking for metal shavings or indications of unusual wear to determine if something does not fit right or was not properly installed. You are also figuring out which ammunition and magazines work with the weapon, and which don't.
      If you are having some issues with springs, shooting the rifle just may cause the problem to work itself out. Or it may not. It just depends on the issue.

If I were ever to build or buy a rifle specifically for duty use, I would never just show up to work with it. I'd take it to the range and put it through its paces to make sure the rifle worked optimally when I needed. A break-in process will help you to work out any kinks, or to make sure there are no kinks.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
      -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Lastly (for now) I noticed some discussion of a stiff break in period with zeplin's Ar #465... and have seen a friend have similar experiences... as someone who hopes to be working out a new new build in the next month or so...i'm wondering is their a spot in this thread, another thread, or could we start one, about Break in period, do's and dont's for a new AR.
        Those were CMMG. We had several of theirs jamming. If I remember correctly, things were a bit too tight with the locking lugs. We oiled the pizzzz out of them then cycled 20-50 times and things seemed to work well afterwards. After that CMMG was never used again.

On most any gun I get, I will run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel followed by a dry patch to collect excess oil. If it's an AR, I will also oil the BCG where it needs it(Lugs, gas rings, wear points etc) then let er rip.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Wonderful thread...truly epic thread... so much no-nonsense, brass tacks info in one place with (almost) no posturing!
          Thanks! I hope it helps.

First a couple general questions on this thread....for jwise or anyone who can answer:
          in posts, #5 (and other places) you refer to a chart
          "Here is the BIG CHART. It shows what all the different manufacturers include in their standard offerings, and what they offer as upgrades."
          but..um.. i don't _see_ a chart anywhere. did i miss it? Do i have to have special permissions to see it?
          is the link simply out of date? or ruffle too many feathers? is this still up somewhere?
          The chart was not my work, so I was simply providing a link to it. The link has changed, as I believe the chart is now a "Google Chart", or something like that. You may try googling "AR brand chart" and see if it is still around.

Second
          in post #17, #18 & #20
          in between the original break down of parts, and brand specific recommendations their is an illustrated guide to... something clearly dismantling the M4 down to BCG.. but to what end?...again i seem to missing post / picture / context about what the end goal of this is. Or is it simply how to dismantle the AR?
          Yeah. Beavo provided the excellent pics and step-by-step disassembly. I thought it was good enough to include, as it might help some folks. It is a bit "out of context."

Lastly (for now) I noticed some discussion of a stiff break in period with zeplin's Ar #465... and have seen a friend have similar experiences... as someone who hopes to be working out a new new build in the next month or so...i'm wondering is their a spot in this thread, another thread, or could we start one, about Break in period, do's and dont's for a new AR
          For the most part, as break-in period is more of a "testing" period, to allow the rifle time to fail if it is going to fail. As for what to do: clean, load, shoot, repeat...
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• re chart...
            I found this link further on in the thread: (i'm on #1267 now...woo)
            its currently at: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=5&output=html
            looks like they stripped the actual comparison chart out...and just left list things to look for. Essentially leaving p1 of this thread, but without pics. Shame...but the mystery is solved, thx

re break in
            so you don't have to use heavier oil, and shoot it a 3/4 revs up and down lots of hills? ;>
            i ask in part because a couple years back a friend of mine i go shooting with picked up an brand new AR (not sure of the specs)
            and it was jamming on every 4th or 5th round, her BF at the time (USMC, ret) insisted it was because of the break-in, is this common, is this (likely) BS?

Thanks again.

Comment

• OK know questions about the build...(the good part!)
              BFH vs medCon:
              given the choice between BCM BFH 16" (hammer forged)
              and the CMMG medcon 16" (heavier barrel) which would you choose? why?
              (FWIW at current prices my BCM build ends up about $1586.80 and my CMMG about $1,621.85 )

Spikes Tactical:
              Do you guys have a take on Spikes Tactical?
              haven't seen them discussed much, is that a bad sign?
              I was leaning toward ordering a CMMG as recommended, but _two_ local shops have ST in-stock, and they're inexpensive.
              Are they Just Cheep, or a good deal?
              their uppers seem to have the important things
              1:7 Twist, Mil-spec Grade Chromoly Vanadium Barrel,
              Mil-spec Hard Chrome 5.56 NATO Chamber & Bore,
              Extended M4 Feedramps,
              M16 BCG

**FWIW i'm not currently a LEO, been a shooter for some time (competitive and hunting) but this will be my first long gun i've ever owned. (very exited) and wont likely be able to afford another for a long time. I live in California where you can't walk into a gun store on odd numbered days, wear green while holding a gun, and all lowers with seriels ending in 0 and 7 are banned. Tho i don't expect (touch wood) anyone's life to ever depend on this rifle... Most of my shooting is in the dessert heat and dust... where armorers are a long hike, and longer drive away... reliability is pretty big issue. Also i do shooting at a lot of different ranges, part of why i wanted to go with a carbine as apposed to a Remington 800, or FAL. but *most* of my targets land in what i consider medium range; 75 to 100yards.

any input much appreciated.

Comment

• I've never reviewed a Spike's Tactical, but it sounds like it has the right features.

BCM > CMMG; all else being equal.

Until you can out-shoot your AR-15, the medcon barrel is useless. Unless of course you have a full-auto lower.
                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Anyone else have experience with spikes (hardware and/or company?)

I definitely can NOT out shoot the AR _yet_
                  but i sure as heck gonna work my butt off to get there once i've got one in my hands

don't have full-auto of course.... aside form the legal implications i'm of the opinion FA fire is chiefly a great way for novices to waist +ammo for -results.

Comment

I'm of the opinion FA fire is chiefly a great way for novices to waist +ammo for -results.
                    I agree with your opinion, but it's just so much fun that I keep wanting to do it!
                    "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                    But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                    "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                    We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Anyone else have experience with spikes (hardware and/or company?)
                      Spike makes great guns... I've got a friend that works builds guns there. Their BAR rail is really lightweight, and all of their guns are inexpensive. You won't be disappointed with a Spike's gun.
                      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Anyone else have experience with spikes (hardware and/or company?)I definitely can NOT out shoot the AR _yet_
                        but i sure as heck gonna work my butt off to get there once i've got one in my hands

don't have full-auto of course.... aside form the legal implications i'm of the opinion FA fire is chiefly a great way for novices to waist +ammo for -results.

They just had a rather positive write up recently in a LEO magazine, (I forget which one, sorry), but they made the cover.
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

• Thanks All
                          It looks like they're 'good' enough that all their is noway to get one in a reasonable amount of time, darn.

So looks like i'm going to go with the spikes lower from my local shop (no shipping or transfer fee, but sales tax)
                          and the BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...d-16%20bfh.htm)
                          tho i'm also having trouble tracking down appropriate BCM BCG....
                          any suggestions besides BCM & G&R...how much of a risk is putting a non BCM Bolt in the BCM B-Carrier?)
                          (hoping to get this build done by july 1st so i can work it out on our annual Nev camping trip!)

Comment

Thanks All
                            It looks like they're 'good' enough that all their is noway to get one in a reasonable amount of time, darn.

So looks like i'm going to go with the spikes lower from my local shop (no shipping or transfer fee, but sales tax)
                            and the BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...d-16%20bfh.htm)
                            tho i'm also having trouble tracking down appropriate BCM BCG....
                            any suggestions besides BCM & G&R...how much of a risk is putting a non BCM Bolt in the BCM B-Carrier?)
                            (hoping to get this build done by july 1st so i can work it out on our annual Nev camping trip!)
                            http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...556-p-388.html I'd just get that BCG. Easy to keep clean and stays lubed.
                            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• I have a Spikes' tactical AR15 and love it. Well made, feeds cheap ammo just fine, everything is great, including the price. There is a thread on this forum dedicated to them where everyone gave good reviews.

Here it is:
                              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ghlight=spikes
                              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• thx for the pointer brownj21.
                                would you be wlling to post pics a-la page (of feed ramps, pin shroud, etc) one for posterity?
                                if i get my hands on one, i'll be happy to

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10388 users online. 504 members and 9884 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X