Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To you guys with work rifles: before you spend a dime on anything else, get a durable light. I've been on nights for a while and deployed my rifle several times and it really, really, really sucks not having a light. If you have the money, get the light.

Comment

• So UPS tried to deliver my lower to my FFL but says they weren't open. They're trying again tomorrow, but I'm impatient.

Comment

• Can't you just ship lowers to your home? I guess I don't know how it works w/ the serial number being on the lower. I got mine through an FFL but I would assume you can ship em straight home?
        Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Nope the lower is the serial numbered part of the rifle and contains the fire control mechanism (trigger and stuff) As far as I understand it that makes it the "firearm" part of the weapon.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post
            Cool man, sounds like the FSB can be used after installation. Thanks for that link!!!
            Forget the YHM. Daniel Defense Omega rails are lighter and more comfortable. Also look in to the Centurion arms rails. Remove the delta ring and they clamp around the barrel nut. Troy Industries is worth a look as well.

Comment

• I know those are all great brands, but i'm a college kid paying my own way. I really can't afford the name brand stuff for everything when they cost 2-3x as much. The YHM's get solid reviews and are by far the cheapest rails out there. I like to risk it and try new brands / low end brands that get good reviews from folks.
              Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post
                I know those are all great brands, but i'm a college kid paying my own way. I really can't afford the name brand stuff for everything when they cost 2-3x as much. The YHM's get solid reviews and are by far the cheapest rails out there. I like to risk it and try new brands / low end brands that get good reviews from folks.
                There's nothing wrong with YHM rails, and Todd Jarrett wouldn't have them make his signature handguards if they sucked.
                Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Debating between a DD LITE RAIL and OmegaX rail. Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

• I'm considering this one due to it being so easy to install, and it's priced reasonably
                    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Danie.../dd%205010.htm

Can anyone tell me why a free float rail is better?

It's for a LE6920 and all I want is an Eotech holographic sight, with BUIS by Larue. VFG and flashlight are to come later on. How would a free float benefit me over the above DD drop in replacement?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
                      Can anyone tell me why a free float rail is better?
                      Free float is in many cases more accurate.
                      sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Free floats are mounted off of the barrel nut, or else attached to the rail of the upper receiver. They are rigid and solid, which provides a strong base for mounting accessories. The barrel remains untouched by the rail, which means that you can torque on, push, pull, bounce, hit, and squeeze the rail all you want without worry of the barrel being momentarily deviated by the pressure. This helps significantly with accuracy- or more specifically, longer range accuracy. Additionally, free float rails tend to stay cooler when you're pumping out a lot of ammo in an afternoon at the range. You tend to have very little heat transfer onto the rail itself. You'll have heat venting through, but the barrel and gas block are not contacting the grip, so you won't have that direct heat transfer.
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                        -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

• A little bit of help please... Have a few questions...
                          So ill probably be picking up my first AR hopefully this weekend. Ill post up pics and specs of the weapon, she's a beauty. But im already working on building my next one. My first one was built by a sergeant at a police department. Ive been watching lots of vids and doing a lot of reading, some friends have told me to build or part my own to learn more about the weapon system and to save money.

My goal for my second AR is to make it lighter and slimmer. My AR that I will pick up seems to be a little heavy or maybe its just been so long since Ive carried an AR. Anyways, I need help finding a light barrel and free float.

Just a basic line up of what im thinking about so far for the other parts:
                          Stock - Magpul CTR
                          Grip - MIAD
                          MBUS front and rear sights
                          PMAGS
                          Since I have an Aimpoint on my first one, im going with EO Tech this time (XPS or EXPS)

If I can find a lighter upper receiver I can do that too, since im thinking of actually building some of the components and not just parting it together. I was also thinking about going with non-free float rails, but I havent made my mind yet. I do not like the A2 front fixed sight, so I might remove that. Im wanting to stick with BCM parts as well, at least the Barrel and maybe the bolt carrier group. I heard this guys are awesome.

Also Ive been trying to find out the difference between a 2 stage trigger and standard???? I asked the Sergeant about it but he gave me a quick answer because he was in a hurry, he stated he did not like it and did not recommend it, so its not on my first AR.

By going with a lightweight barrel over a standard, stainless steel or heavy barrel, will that affect the durability of it???

But yea feel free to give me advice and pointers. Thanks
                          Last edited by Zurita210; 05-20-2011, 10:06 AM. Reason: More information added on

Comment

• Thanks Reedo, and Zeplin. My next question regarding a free float rail is, should I have a gunsmith install it for me since I have no experience with AR's other then cleaning it? Or is it something that I could do myself after scratching my head for a while?

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks Reedo, and Zeplin. My next question regarding a free float rail is, should I have a gunsmith install it for me since I have no experience with AR's other then cleaning it? Or is it something that I could do myself after scratching my head for a while?

Thanks again.
                              If you dont know anything about it, I suggest you get a gunsmith to do it. From what Ive seen, you have to drill some dents into the barrel to be able to secure a smaller gas block and then hook up the gas tube to it. I asked a friend of mine about that and he said there's another way of doing it but I have yet to seen it.

Comment

Thanks Reedo, and Zeplin. My next question regarding a free float rail is, should I have a gunsmith install it for me since I have no experience with AR's other then cleaning it? Or is it something that I could do myself after scratching my head for a while?

Thanks again.
                                Originally posted by Zurita210 View Post
                                If you dont know anything about it, I suggest you get a gunsmith to do it. From what Ive seen, you have to drill some dents into the barrel to be able to secure a smaller gas block and then hook up the gas tube to it. I asked a friend of mine about that and he said there's another way of doing it but I have yet to seen it.
                                Keep the fixed FSP. Check out Surf's video about grinding the A2 FSP into a low-profile gas block. Problem solved right there.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rPPyYdFUs

After that, you should watch Surf's videos about building an AR. Lots to learn, and you'll be able to install your rail yourself.
                                -John Adams

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10385 users online. 504 members and 9881 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X