Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome - thanks a bunch for the input JW. I'll most likely be going with that then!
    Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

• Bump! This should be a sticky btw.

Thanks to this thread I now have an LE6920

Comment

• So I am in the beginning stage of buying/assembling.

I can't have SBR. but I want as short as possible so I am thinking of 14.5" barrel with a pinned compensator.

unfortunately, I can't find a rail/upper/compensator platform that I like. Here's is the upper that seems to do the trick. I am taking light weight over forged barrel.

BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receive.

A couple of questions:
        1. if the compensator is pinned before he rails are on, is that a problem? It would suck to learn that the FSB can't be removed after pinning and the rails won't slide on.
        2. how difficult/costly is it to pin? i would prefer the silver brazing as it would eliminate the need to select comps that are drilled. Is there any concern with heating the barrel to 1300 deg for brazing?
        3. I don't have a lower yet. as I understand it, as long as there is no lower, I don't have an SBR. If I assemble the upper and pin the compensator before getting the lower, am i okay?

P.S. Has anyone created a "holster" for the AR-15 pistol that attaches to the pistol extension tube? I'm thinking a "shoulder holster" that looks a lot like an expanding tactical stock and stores under the armpit and can swing into firing position before the pistol is removed from the "holster."
        "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

• Originally posted by MG108 View Post
          So I am in the beginning stage of buying/assembling.

I can't have SBR. but I want as short as possible so I am thinking of 14.5" barrel with a pinned compensator.

unfortunately, I can't find a rail/upper/compensator platform that I like. Here's is the upper that seems to do the trick. I am taking light weight over forged barrel.

BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receive.

A couple of questions:
          1. if the compensator is pinned before he rails are on, is that a problem? It would suck to learn that the FSB can't be removed after pinning and the rails won't slide on.
          2. how difficult/costly is it to pin? i would prefer the silver brazing as it would eliminate the need to select comps that are drilled. Is there any concern with heating the barrel to 1300 deg for brazing?
          3. I don't have a lower yet. as I understand it, as long as there is no lower, I don't have an SBR. If I assemble the upper and pin the compensator before getting the lower, am i okay?

P.S. Has anyone created a "holster" for the AR-15 pistol that attaches to the pistol extension tube? I'm thinking a "shoulder holster" that looks a lot like an expanding tactical stock and stores under the armpit and can swing into firing position before the pistol is removed from the "holster."
          ===============================================

#1 - Depends on the rail. Some rails are two-piece and can be removed after the FSB or Comp have been added BUT they may require a special barrel nut, which puts you back to square one.
          #2 - Never done it but whatever it costs, add the cost of the FH/Comp that you remove because you generally destroy it removing it. Some silver solders work around 800-900 degrees but they are a pain to remove. To me, a pin is "better" because if you ever get challenged on the ease of removing the device, you can point to the weld-spot.
          #3 - ??

My suggestion - Get a 16" barrel. Is 1-1/2" really going to make that much difference for all of the versatility you'll lose with the shorter barrel? With a 14-1/2" barrel you're pretty much stuck with the setup.

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ucrt View Post
            ===============================================

#1 - Depends on the rail. Some rails are two-piece and can be removed after the FSB or Comp have been added BUT they may require a special barrel nut, which puts you back to square one.
            that was my fear.
            #2 - Never done it but whatever it costs, add the cost of the FH/Comp that you remove because you generally destroy it removing it. Some silver solders work around 800-900 degrees but they are a pain to remove. To me, a pin is "better" because if you ever get challenged on the ease of removing the device, you can point to the weld-spot.
            it's worse than that. to be legal, the solder has to be at least 1100 degrees.

I don't mind pinning but I am not sure all comps can be pinned as the do not all come with a drilled option. If I choose a compensator that only has threads, i either have to have the gunsmith drill it or braze it to the barrel.

The upper is sold as "NFA rules apply" and comes with standard A2 birdcage. I either permanently attach a comp with brazing or pinning but they are both permanent. I end up with a a2 birdcage as the throw away item. no cost difference
            My suggestion - Get a 16" barrel. Is 1-1/2" really going to make that much difference for all of the versatility you'll lose with the shorter barrel? With a 14-1/2" barrel you're pretty much stuck with the setup.

But maybe it's just me...
            Meh, it's more of a challenge. build the shortest, lightest weight and functional rifle with highest quality parts at lowest cost. i'd like to assemble it - then compare cost, length, weight, and quality with the COTS rifle the dept purchases.

but i think i may initially go with 16" barrel just to see how all the pieces assemble. the upper without rails is cheaper than a pistol so if i get something i like, i can just buy the sbr upper and move it all over and pin/braze the comp.
            "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

• jwise,

Your help has been highly appreciated in selecting and setting up a rifle. I am former Army but am now just a civilian, even so I followed your suggestions and models, in case things come to "hard times" and heck, for the fun of it!

I don't know if you have received current shots of the CMMG product so I thought I'd throw 'em on here, along with how I set my rifle up.

I ordered the government profile, mid-length upper and the lower on separate days. As you said I saved money by not getting magazines, carry handle and a case I didn't want. CMMG later mailed me a manual at my request.

Lower receiver stamp

Barrel stamp

I opted to get the (fully shrouded) full-auto bolt carrier, still no extra charge

CMMG's current gas key staking

I decided to go with the standard buffer to go with my middy, which is what CMMG also recommended.

The castle nut was not staked

F-marked FSB

A picture of the welded Phantom flash hider to make the 14.5" barrel legal. I wanted the shortest barrel I could get and not have the NFA hassle.

I ordered the $10.00 polishing option on the M4 feed ramps

Comment

• LaRue BUIS in front of an EOTech 512 HWS

I got a Troy mid-length, drop-in Battle Rail with Magpul covers. I used slightly stronger-than-recommended thread locker on the locking screw. The rail has been solid for more than 500 rds.

Troy sling mount and a Mamba 3-pt sling

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

• After lurking here for months I am ready to purchase my upper. FYI thanks to all the sage advice. The three I am considering now are all cold hammer forged 16-inch barrels gov't profile - the BCM is a middy while the DD and the Spikes Tactical are carbine length. Anyone have any thoughts as to which one of the three is a clear winner here or are they close enough to be buyers choice?
                  Last edited by nhyp1; 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM. Reason: missed a word

Comment

• Originally posted by nhyp1 View Post
                    After lurking here for months I am ready to purchase my upper. FYI thanks to all the sage advice. The three I am considering now are all cold hammer forged 16-inch barrels gov't profile - the BCM is a middy while the DD and the Spikes Tactical are carbine length. Anyone have any thoughts as to which one of the three is a clear winner here or are they close enough to be buyers choice?
                    Midlength is better and BCM is awesome.
                    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• BCM is awesome and midlength is better. Just got my 16" BCM Middy upper ordered! Coming in tomorrow according to the tracker... Now all I need is a BCG, charging handle, rails and a rear site and i'll have a full rifle!
                      Pursuing the dream.

Comment

• So I just ordered my rifle in pieces:
                        -BCM lower with Magpul CTR stock, Noveske QD plate and Daniel Defense BUIS from G&R
                        -BCM 16" hammer forged upper, BCM BCG, Ergo Suregrip, Blue Force Gear VCAS sling and BCM Mod 5 charging handle from Bravo Company USA
                        -Daniel Defense Omega 9" and 3 more P-Mags from Impact Guns

I'm a little excited.

ETA: Thank you Jwise for this thread, I've been following it since 2008 when it was first posted and finally decided what I wanted.

Comment

• It took you long enough! Well, you did good. You will have a rifle that will last you a lifetime (unless you shoot as much as Surf!)
                          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Here's some fresh pics of the new arrival. Upper came all lubed and oiled up, it was beautiful! Solid as heck and snapped together flawlessly... I can't wait to get this thing finished! Sorry for the crap quality, I was shaking with excitement.

Pursuing the dream.

Comment

• I only wish I could shoot as much as surf. JJbledsoe, that's looking real nice. What do you have in mind for handguards/rails?

Comment

• I'm thinking that the YHM Free Float Middy Quad Rails will do me just fine. They have recieved great reviews over the net and are really some bargain rails if you ask me. They look nice, too. The only downside is they aren't marked, but I'm not gonna load a bunch of stuff on there and take it off all the time, either. Then i'm going with that DD BUIS like you did. And hopefully my next purchase will be the BCM BCG when I get the money. Also getting a different pistol grip, and adding a vertical foregrip, flashlight, laser sight and an EOTech - but that's for the far future. Right now I just want an operable shooting rifle ASAP!
                                Pursuing the dream.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9340 users online. 445 members and 8895 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X