Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jwise, I dont know if you have covered this in past pages or if I just missed it, but are you a fan of the front hand grip?

You should maybe think about doing a section on optics and sights you like. Again, unless already covered.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

• While optics/sights are very important, they are also very subjective, and personal.

I outlined both very briefly, and that was intentional. I did not want to make this thread a "how to setup your AR to look cool", kind of thread. I wanted to stick to the "meat", and just touch on the "setup" options.

Personally, I feel a fighting rifle needs three things once you take it out of the box: (1) a sling, (2) a sighting system you can see in low-light, and (3) a light. I said all this earlier, but it's worth repeating.

I mentioned slings already, and stated I use a 3-point Mamba by Spec-Ops. I understand there are a LOT of really good ones out there (Vickers, Viking Tactics, Blue Force Gear, just to name a few.) I like the concept of the 3-point sling, as it keeps the rifle slung in front, barrel to the left, laying flat across the body. I understand there are 2-point slings that also do this, but I think they require some kind of additional sling point attachment on a railed handguard in order to do it right. Anyways, I'm not a sling expert, as I can't find anywhere local that has several ALREADY ON A RIFLE that I can try-on.

I found the Mamba, it works, I like it, so I have stuck with it. Training overcomes any shortcomings, and I've trained a lot with it. I can easily transition to pistol and between shoulders, etc...

The low-light sighting system can be accomplished through a tritium front sight, or a red dot type optic. In addition, you could have a magnified optic with an illuminated reticle. These would all serve to provide a usable aiming system for use in low-light situations.

Serious optics for "fighting rifles" include Aimpoint, EOTech, ACOG, Meopta K-Dot, S&B Short Dot, Leupold CQT, and a few others. The Aimpoint and EOTech are the two most common, as they are FAR cheaper than the magnified optics. They are both excellent choices.

I prefer the EOTech, but I give the nod to Aimpoint in both battery life and reliability. I've heard of EOTechs not working properly. I've never heard of an Aimpoint stop working (I have seen one with a messed up dot, but it still worked!)

I mentioned there are several rear sights to choose from, and nearly all of them are good. If I were to buy one today, it would be a LaRue fixed BUIS. If I needed a flip-up sight, I'd get a Troy.

I already talked about lights, so I will skip that section since you didn't ask for me to elaborate on that issue.

As to the issue of a Vertical Fore Grip (VFG), I like them. However, I like them BECAUSE OF HOW I DEPLOY MY WEAPONLIGHT. The rifle that has one, also has a Night Ops Falcata 9v in a Daniel Defense Offset Weaponlight mount that puts the tailcap button right where my left thumb rests. It makes using the light very natural.

I don't like pressure pads, as I have had one in the past that did not work properly. I think it just adds to the chain of weak links, any one of which could go out. The stock assembly I had was a Surefire forend for a Mossberg 500, and the pressure pad incorporated in it did not reliably activate the light.

My patrol rifle does not have a VFG. It can't, since I keep it in a rifle rack that locks around the forearm, right where a VFG would normally go. Since I can't have one, I use a different mounting system for a weaponlight.

If I had my way, I'd set up my rifle with a Troy free-float railed forend, Tango Down VFG, Tango Down rail panels (3-6-9 O' clock positions), Magpul ladder rail (12 O' clock position), EOTech, Daniel Defense Offset Weaponlight mount with a Night Ops Falcata 9v, Magpul CTR stock, Ergo pistol grip or the Hogue pistol grip, The Gapper, LaRue fixed BUIS, side sling swivel and a Spec Ops Mamba sling. I love that setup.

This is it with an AAC M4-2000 suppressor on the end:

Last edited by jwise; 03-07-2008, 01:12 AM.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Another AR building reated question. Tommorrow I'll probably be ordering my first AR lower and gradualy build a rifle. In the process though, I was wondering if I should invest in any specialized tools (for removing stocks or handguards, etc.) for assembly/disassembly or maintinence. Thanks
        -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
        -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Tools

You don't need special tools, to build your AR, unless you are removing the barrels, a good set of flat end punches and a small brass hammer will do most of the work. You will need AR wrench from Midway USA to install the barrel, and it make easy tighten a CAR stock. Most uppers come complete with the barrel installed.

Dan

Appleton Armory Gunsmith

Comment

• ooops, disregard...
            -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
            -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Like it was stated above, a good punch set is all you really need besides a stock wrench. The barrel wrench is necessary for installing/removing a barrel, but I don't mess with that.

After messing up my brass punches, I started using my grandads steel punch set. You gotta be a little more careful with them, but they are better in my opinion.
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by js308 View Post
                I'm about to order an LMT upper. Probably going to go with the MRP carbine length with the gas piston system. LMT says the rifle length MRP rail is not gas piston compatable. I see people ordering enhanced bolt carriers. What is enhanced about a bolt carier group vs non enhanced? Do people put Full Auto Bolt Carrier Groups in their semi autos? Is this something worth investing in?

Thanks!!
                Good choice going with the LMT. The MRP is a nice touch, and I also like piston designs. All around an excellent choice.

LMT offers an enhanced bolt and an enhanced bolt carrier. The carrier has "sand cuts" to aid in reliability in adverse conditions/environments. The bolts typically have bigger extractors, and extra power springs. All good things for carbine length gas systems.

Full auto bolt carriers are the best carrier you can get for your AR. They are beefier/heavier and work better (as that's the way it was designed to be.) Colt ships all their semi-auto LE series guns with a FA carrier (LE6920, etc...)

If you don't already have one, it's not really worth investing more money in, but it should be an option you select or at least look for in a new rifle.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Be careful with FA carriers in a semi - people have been charged with constructive possession like that. Being in LE won't negate federal law, nor would I advocate doing so.

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wb...f_letter52.txt

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_pa...ceivers_p3.asp
                  Last edited by formerNOPD; 03-12-2008, 08:10 AM. Reason: To add link

Comment

• Colt ships their semi-auto rifles with FA bolt carriers.

My CMMG came with a FA carrier.

My LWRC came with a FA carrier.
                    Last edited by jwise; 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                      Colt ships their semi-auto rifles with FA bolt carriers.

My CMMG came with a FA carrier.

My LWRC came with a FA carrier.
                      I guess I'm in double trouble as two of mine are enhanced FA BCG.....
                      Last edited by JTShooter; 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM.
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Please don't exacerbate this issue, as I don't want this to turn into an Anti-ATF thread, which I am very capable of doing if we "go there."
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I just posted the info for a heads up. Whether or not your rifle was shipped with FA parts or not does not necessarily make it legal or illegal, but the guidlines from the ATF which governs that area (NFA) are quite clear... as mud...lol.
                          None of my ARs have FA parts in them at all.

Comment

• I don't recall my source, but I either read or heard that post-ban Colts are either impossible or a royal pain in the keester to convert to FA. If that's the case, them coming with FA BCG's is a mute point.
                            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                              I don't recall my source, but I either read or heard that post-ban Colts are either impossible or a royal pain in the keester to convert to FA. If that's the case, them coming with FA BCG's is a mute point.
                              There's not a semi auto out there that cannot be made to fire full auto with the proper work and parts. The level of difficulty has never been an issue with ATF for prosecution. Post ban colts have the block in the lower, however it can be removed. Check the links posted, those have some of the letters received from ATF tech branch on the subject.

Comment

• Lets take the FA/NFA/BATFE debate to a different thread. If someone wants to start a new one, I can debate it at length, but I don't think we need to muck up jwise's great thread with it.
                                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6449 users online. 326 members and 6123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X