300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question of opinion for you guys:

Would you prefer a "Franken-gun" with a mix of different companies' uppers/lowers/barrels/BCGs or a fully factory gun with small add-ons (quad rail/grips etc)?

I'm at a cross road with my current franken-beast. I have about a dozen different manufacturer's items on my patrol rifle and am considering trading it off for a factory, all matching parts rifle.

Comment

• Does it work? I'd rather have a franken-rifle that has been dead-nuts reliable for years than a brand new "brand-x" rifle.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• This is what I ended up getting for my first personal AR. It was a barely used gun I bought from a guy in Pennsylvania.

Spike’s Tactical lower receiver
        Spike’s lower parts kit
        Ergo grip with Spike’s logo
        Magpul CTR stock
        Oversized mag release
        Commercial carbine length buffer tube, buffer and spring
        Cross Tac single point sling connector
        Blackhawk single point sling

Spike’s Tactical flat top upper receiver with spider logo and T markings
        Spike’s Tactical bolt carrier group
        Wilson 16” govt. contour barrel .223
        Spike’s Tactical fake can suppressor with Spikes logo and serial number
        Spike’s Tactical carbine length Operator free float hand guard w/ spider logo and American Flag laser etched on sides
        Brownell’s 4 way picatinny rail gas block, has top only on, but comes with the other 3 to attach.
        SOG Armory graphite front hand guard vertical grip

EOTech XPS2-0

Here she is as I bought her:

Since that time, I added Magpul front and rear flip sights and an M6X laser/light combo that is mounted in front of my vertical grip. Oh, and a CMMG .22lr conversion kit.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Is it reliable? Kinda...

See, when I bought it, I thought it was an all Rock River LAR-15. Took it apart, found that the upper was actually a Model 1 Sales (kinda ****ed about that, but whatever). Put a Bravo Co upper, stag barrel on it and it ran "Okay" (During Carbine instructor school, quite a few double feeds/failure to lock back on last rounds). So I replaced the buffer and spring with a new one and got all new GI mags for it, and now it runs like a top. I probably now have close to 1k malfunction-free rounds (XM193) through it. So, now looking at the price drop in ar's I think I may trade mine in for an all stock, no frills rifle from a reputable company. (Really like Spike's Tactical and Bravo company) One where the upper was built for the lower, BCG built for upper, etc.
          Last edited by BARNABY JONES; 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Nice thread Jwise!

However, i'm still in debate between these two:

Colt LE6920 vs Rock River Entry Tactical with tactical carry handle

For patrol application. This article makes the decision harder. http://standbyliberty.org/2009/12/08...ised-who-wins/

Where can i look up different spec and spec out a CMMG? (best price too )
            Last edited by ChiDiddy; 01-07-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Guys (especially Jwise and Surf),
              I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. My two current ARs are great. I have a 7.5" PDW AR, as well as an 18" SPR that I recently built. However, I have been looking into expanding my training horizons and going to some more advanced training. Specifically, I'm looking to go to Gunsite and/or US Training Center. Additionally, I am going to be getting my carbine instructor certification at some point soon. I am looking to use my own weapon for these courses. It has come to my attention that my 7.5" PDW may not be the best option for doing LE-type carbine training and instructor certification. As a result I have been planning another AR build.

Thing is, I have 3 builds I want to do right now. A 10.5" .300AAC build, a 16" heavy match 3-gun competition carbine, and a more conventional 11.5" carbine for the aforementioned training. The 11.5" carbine would most likely be built with Daniel Defense components for the barrel, front sight (pinned A2 style), and AR15 Lite Railâ„¢ 9.5 FSP, Carbine rail system.
              My main dilemma is with the 11.5" carbine and 16" Competition builds.

Outlines of the builds:
              11.5" Combat/Duty Carbine
              16" 3-Gun Competition Tactical Carbine

The question is this: Should I continue to build these guns, or should I buy a POF-USA 14.5" P415 to do both jobs? I need something that can punch out 1200rds in a week, and then a rifle that can be spot-on accurate during competitions. Would it be prudent to use the P415 for both roles, or would I just be trying to get too much out of one rifle?

Thoughts?
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

• Basically you are giving up a little on either end of things. IMO you aren't giving up much either direction but there are slight trade-offs.

I personally don't have too much issue with a 10.5 out to 300-350 yards so I don't see that as a problem for the outer distances in 3 gun competition, however that is definitely not the norm. Using a 1:7 and pushing a heavier bullet for competition, not a problem. A good low power variable on an 11.5 and I would be OK with that set up for competition keeping in mind that I would also like to use it for hardcore training / CQB type shooting.

On the other side of things, I really don't have much issues with running a 14.5" rifle for hardcore CQB type training either. There is nothing I can't do in a 3 gun that the 14.5" can't handle and while not as good as the 11.5" for CQB it isn't that bad either.

You also need to consider the NFA side of things and if you are going to pin the 14.5" or not. Personally I would consider having it pinned just to avoid the paper work, time and fees. But I would also be sure of my handguard set up also. Removing a pinned hider isn't too hard if you know what your doing and are careful, but kiss that muzzle device good-bye.

So in essence, decide which is more important or which you will be doing the most of. If it is more 3 gun stuff, then the 14.5" might be better and if it were more training stuff, then I would opt for the 11.5". However, it would be kinda cool to clean house in a 3 gun competition using an 11.5" rifle.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• POF sells an 11.5" upper, as well as an 11.5" P416. I'm not sure if they will sell the P415 in the 11.5" configuration.
                  When you refer to an 11.5", are you suggesting I stick with my original AR build, or that I get a POF?
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

• I like the Daniel Defense barrels and have good results in accuracy and durability with them and do a lot of builds with their barrels. I also like a few others but you specifically mention DD and I really like their barrels. Definitely top 5 maybe top 2-3 for a heavy use carbine barrel in the AR/M4 set up.

I really haven't jumped on the piston gun thing yet in the AR/M4 platform. I have quite a bit of time behind several variations including the POF but I just haven' bought into them yet. I think the biggest thing right now for me is the added weight / bulk on the barrel and the overall feel of the recoil. Not a huge issue but I definitely show a difference on certain drills, especially on a timer. I guess I just haven't gotten any improved benefit out of the piston set ups over DI. But that is just my personal choice talking.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• My ideology is based around the fact that I'll have to get an NFA stamp regardless, which right now is still a 4-5 month wait. So I'm in this conundrum of which method to take. I like the fact that the POF runs cleaner and has a regulated system, but being that I love building ARs, it's hard for me to pass up on another build opportunity with the DD setup. I specifically chose the DD setup for a more conventional-style rifle, as their CHF barrels are supposed to be absolutely die-hard durable. I also like that 9.5FSP rail system.

So let me ask you this- I'm interested in replacing the A2 front sight post with an ARMS #41B front sight block/folding front sight post. Would you recommend this option, or would it be more prudent to stick with a solid FSP for greater durability?
                      -John Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                        My ideology is based around the fact that I'll have to get an NFA stamp regardless, which right now is still a 4-5 month wait. So I'm in this conundrum of which method to take. I like the fact that the POF runs cleaner and has a regulated system, but being that I love building ARs, it's hard for me to pass up on another build opportunity with the DD setup. I specifically chose the DD setup for a more conventional-style rifle, as their CHF barrels are supposed to be absolutely die-hard durable. I also like that 9.5FSP rail system.

So let me ask you this- I'm interested in replacing the A2 front sight post with an ARMS #41B front sight block/folding front sight post. Would you recommend this option, or would it be more prudent to stick with a solid FSP for greater durability?
                        Again for myself I don't see the advantage of the piston. The 2 things that you mention is the most commonly cited however I don't have issues with cleaning and can clean whenever I chose. As far as a regulated system, what are your purposes? Are you planning for a suppressor? If so, you can run a switchblock. If it is for weak ammo or working up your own loads, a well set up DI rifle should have no issues. But again that is shooter preference. I just don't care for the bulk and weight up front. I see actual results on drills and on a timer, so I am not sold on the set up, but that is just me.

Here is my take on the FSP thing. I believe in a fixed front sight post for a duty application in general. There is a however to this one which is two fold. First - this day in age material quality, build quality and engineering is allowing us more leeway in regards to the durability of a fixed FSP. This basically means that with modern rails, back up irons and tough as nails red dot optics, there is becoming very little issues with optics failing and rails failing and back up irons failing. This makes the issue of a fixed FSP less of an issue as technology increases. I would however opt for a pinned gas block no matter what, even if going to a full rail and back up irons. Second - I can see losing the fixed FSP on a specialty type of weapon, such as a magnified optic type of weapon.

I have not completely given up on the idea of a fixed FSP as my primary duty weapon has one, but I am not as uncomfortable about others nixing them. Now if I were in a place where I could not do easy inspections and maintenance on a rifle such as in a military deployment, I would want a fixed FSP.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Picked up my first AR, Daniel Defense V3. I actually got two, one lightweight and one normal. I bought one and got the other as a gift. The lightweight is going to work and the other is going in the safe for a rainy day.

Comment

• boomhower - that is an excellent weapon and a great choice and 2 none the less. You did it right the first time. And the second time.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Surf, aside from shaving an A2 block like you did, do you know any other companies off-hand that sell pinned gas blocks?
                              -John Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                                Surf, aside from shaving an A2 block like you did, do you know any other companies off-hand that sell pinned gas blocks?
                                Noveske sells barrels with fitted and pinned gas block set ups but you have other options.

Besides the option of shaving a FSB, which I like, for optimal durability you can

1 - Pin your own gas block and barrel if you have the tools / knowledge or have a company like ADCO pin your gas block and barrel. I think they charge around $35-$40 for this but you have to ship it. If you attempt to drill and pin your own you really need to know what your doing or you can screw up a barrel easily, or change its accuracy. Plus you need a good jig and drill press.

2 - You can dimple the barrel under the set screws and basically run the set screws partially into the barrel, then using Rocksett put in the set screws. This acts kinda like a poor mans pinning job and has a similar theory as pinning a muzzle device on a barrel. This would be the second best option and can be very effective.

However I would avoid an aluminum gas block altogether as they expand differently from the steel barrel and over time the gas block may develop excessive leakage of gasses and cause short stroking, especially in a heavy use weapon and rapid fire where the barrel heats excessively and cools. The low profile gas block in my video suffered that very problem. A rifle was brought to me that started out working great. Over time it started short stroking and the owner couldn't figure out the problem and brought it to me. I determined that it was the gas block and swapped it out with a steel gas block and used method number 2 above and several thousand rounds later the guys weapon runs great. I kept that low pro block and now I use it as a visual profile reference for shaving blocks. In reality I shave so many now that I really don't need it, but it is a good visual reference for those who want to see what I am going to do to their FSP. I also use it to show the potential expansion issues in an aluminum block.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12240 users online. 433 members and 11807 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X