Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gas tube does NOT need to be cleaned... Any effort or money spent on trying to clean out the tube is wasted.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I figured as much. Thanks for the reply.
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Directed to JWISE:
        He asked me to post this publicly...
        Well, I've put 2k-3k rounds through my CMMG midlength with zero issues. I'm very happy with that rifle. Thanks a ton for all this info. It is priceless. CMMG has a deal on their medium contour barreled uppers for 499 w/ BCG included.
        I ordered an 18" stainless and they said they would put a micro gas block on it for me for no extra charge. I just asked them to keep the handguards and front sight and put a micro gas block on it for me. That saves me from having to remove the stock handguards and fixed front sight. The pins on the fixed front sights can be a *&$#&* to get out.
        Just picking out a set of free float handguards and optics for now.

I'm building a budget SPR and this upper was about impossible to beat. Everywhere else charges a boatload of money for what appears to be a very similar upper. Still can't figure that out how they justify charging 1200-1500 for an upper because its 18". I'm guessing that exta 2" of steel is the most expensive...

How do you feel about MI handguards? I'm debating between their monolithic top rail tube handguards and their monolithic quad rail. I want it to cover up the mid-length gas system/block completely. Does that mean I need to get longer than midlength handguards (rifle length)?

What do you like for an SPR optic? I was leaning 2.5x10 or 3x9 at the most but I don't have a ton of experience with glass. I've got a Burris Fullfield II, Leupold 2x7 and Vortex 2x7. All of them are good, but on the cheaper end. I'm trying to get a little bit nicer without spending 2k. What do you like?

By the way, if you need brass 223, Cabelas has it for 6.49 a box right now and Palmettostatearmory has 1k for 309+12 freight. Both good prices for right now.
        -Yebache
        PS you might not like Nutnfancy or may have never heard of him but I've shot with him quite a bit lately. here's a vid of me shooting his Sabre SPR...nice gun but a little on the expensive side. If I can replicate the same rifle for 1k less I will be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Hub...yY&feature=sub

Comment

• Thanks for posting this, Yebache! I'll give you a quick run-down now, other people can chime in with their experience, and then I'll try and give you a more thorough response later if there is anything else to touch on.

Frankly, MI builds economical stuff. It usually isn't sexy; it usually isn't feature-rich; it usually is bigger and heavier than the more expensive units; but it is usually the cheapest! For one notch up on the scale, my money goes to Troy. It also represents a great value, but at a slightly higher price point (not by much). I believe the Troy MRF-MX is the rail you would want (11" instead of 9", so it covers the gas block, but not as long as a rifle length rail, which would be 12").

As for a scope, I am VERY happy with my Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X that I have on my 16" stainless middy.

That's all I have time for now! Gotta get back to work...
          Last edited by jwise; 06-12-2010, 12:18 AM.
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Noveske V-Tac or N4 Recce

I am considering purchasing a Noveske 16" V-Tac or N4 Recce upper for an existing lower. Both are top quality. Are there any experienced AR people with advice? Thanks, Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Yebache View Post
              Directed to JWISE:
              He asked me to post this publicly...
              Well, I've put 2k-3k rounds through my CMMG midlength with zero issues. I'm very happy with that rifle. Thanks a ton for all this info. It is priceless. CMMG has a deal on their medium contour barreled uppers for 499 w/ BCG included.
              Glad your rifle is running well. I am still seeing too many mixed issues with CMMG right now. Hope they get things worked out. What are your intentions for the SPR? Duty, sniper or designated marksman, extreme precision or just for fun?
              I ordered an 18" stainless and they said they would put a micro gas block on it for me for no extra charge. I just asked them to keep the handguards and front sight and put a micro gas block on it for me. That saves me from having to remove the stock handguards and fixed front sight. The pins on the fixed front sights can be a *&$#&* to get out.
              They are only a ##### to get out if they are tapered or directional pins and you are trying to punch them out in the wrong direction.

Just picking out a set of free float handguards and optics for now.

I'm building a budget SPR and this upper was about impossible to beat. Everywhere else charges a boatload of money for what appears to be a very similar upper. Still can't figure that out how they justify charging 1200-1500 for an upper because its 18". I'm guessing that exta 2" of steel is the most expensive...
              While you can definitely put one together for less money on your own there is much more to it than an extra 2" of steel. Barrels and chambers are far from being made the same and performing the same. The barrel is the heart of the rifle and in this platform a top quality 18" SS barrel alone will be in the $400 - $500 range. You are also paying for top quality bolt, carrier, receiver, free float tube, sights, flash hider, professional assembly, testing and warranty. All of this does not come cheap. Again it can be done for cheaper, but they are in the business of making money after all. Again it depends on your needs. If you just want a rifle that just looks cool and looks like an SPR than you can definitely get it done much cheaper.

How do you feel about MI handguards? I'm debating between their monolithic top rail tube handguards and their monolithic quad rail. I want it to cover up the mid-length gas system/block completely. Does that mean I need to get longer than midlength handguards (rifle length)?
              As mentioned MI is OK and middle of the road. You need to consider where your bipod will be located on your rifle also if you are going for a working SPR. So anywhere from 11"-13" is optimal.

What do you like for an SPR optic? I was leaning 2.5x10 or 3x9 at the most but I don't have a ton of experience with glass. I've got a Burris Fullfield II, Leupold 2x7 and Vortex 2x7. All of them are good, but on the cheaper end. I'm trying to get a little bit nicer without spending 2k. What do you like?
              If you are willing to spend some good money on a quality optic that is a wise thing. However I will say that if you spend good money on a quality optic you might want to invest good money into a top notch barrel. Leupold and even Nightforce can be had for just over 1K. You need a low power variable no less than 3x on the lower side and within 10x on the upper side. No 40 or 50 mm either. Stay compact and lightweight if you can.
              PS you might not like Nutnfancy or may have never heard of him but I've shot with him quite a bit lately. here's a vid of me shooting his Sabre SPR...nice gun but a little on the expensive side. If I can replicate the same rifle for 1k less I will be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Hub...yY&feature=sub
              Out of respect for this thread I will not say anything about Nutnfancy. Now if there is another thread on that topic, I will gladly give an opinion. Also your link gives me this....The URL contained a malformed video ID.
              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by frankdamedic View Post
                I am considering purchasing a Noveske 16" V-Tac or N4 Recce upper for an existing lower. Both are top quality. Are there any experienced AR people with advice? Thanks, Frank
                Frank have you read this thread? There are many very experienced AR people posting in this thread.

Do you have a specific question or are you just asking about Noveske in general?

If this is a general question about Noveske, they are one of the finest builders of this platform of rifles. In the Top 2, IMO and arguably the top. Their barrels are tops in both the chrome lined steel and SS category hands down. If you are willing to spend the money on a Noveske product and the sticker shock doesn't bother you, then you will be absolutely thrilled with their product. My Noveske based SPR rifle will shoot .5 MOA using his SS 18" SPR barrel. Truly amazing.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
                  Glad your rifle is running well. I am still seeing too many mixed issues with CMMG right now. Hope they get things worked out.
                  Surf- I have requested time and time again for people to tell me firsthand experiences of poor CMMG quality. I have requested photographs of any shoddy part, or lack of quality on any CMMG rifle. I have only heard "rumors" on ARFCOM, where rumors spread like wildfire, and most of it is unfounded. The only firsthand experience that I have heard was from a barrel manufacturer who stated CMMG's barrels weren't as good as his. This raised some conflict of interest issues in my mind, but was STILL the most credible source of any negative feedback.

So, once again, if ANYONE has negative experience with CMMG, on their production guns, not their "bargain bin" guns, I want to hear it. I want to see it. I WANT to know it, so I can change my recommendation. But I'm not going to do this until I see for MYSELF.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                    I have only heard "rumors" on ARFCOM, where rumors spread like wildfire, and most of it is unfounded.
                    Which is a good reason to stay away from there.

I have been a long time member of Arfcom but that is about the worst place to look for credible information. For every one person that knows anything about this platform of rifle, you have about 1K who know little to nothing in real world experience. There are other far far better sites, with an overwhelming majority of professionals both LE and military and serious civilian shooters, who litterly make arfcom look like a romper room for kids. While you can wade through the tons of crap and actually gleam some good info from that site, on the whole arfcom is a joke.

I tend to only take information into account from vetted persons, in other words only from sources that I personally know, or can vet or verify. From what I am getting CMMG has not as of yet recovered from their growth spurt that ended them up letting their production and QC suffer greatly.

Of course, like always, YMMV.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Sorry Surf. This should work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Hub...EQ&feature=sub

Comment

• Has anyone tried Brown Bear or Silver Bear ammo? Thoughts? Given the fact that "cheap" and "good" usually don't go together, I was skeptical based on the lower price. I'm mainly looking for practice rounds for the range since I picked up a new CMMG a few months back.

Sorry if this has been covered before...did a quick search and found nothing.

Comment

• I never had a problem with thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo. Silver/Brown Bear is about the same quality. Don't expect 100% reliability or supreme accuracy, but it is great stuff for getting in cheap trigger time.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for the quick reply, and also for the wealth of info you've put into this thread. It's much appreciated for all the AR newbies. The only downside I've heard about the cheaper ammo is that it is dirtier, but hey, I'm going to clean it afterwards anyway...

Comment

• I prefer Silver Bear over Brown Bear. 2 reasons. Silver Bear is not laquer coated and I believe it is cleaner than Brown Bear. Other than that, price is about equal and both will give you cheap(cheap being a relative term) trigger time.
                              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Hey everybody, first poster here and it's a bit of a novel. Forgive me.

I'm non-LEO, in the military, but by virtue of my job, qual'd only on the M9, not M4, so I'm a genuine newbie when it comes to ARs and have definitely learned a TON from everything posted here. I sincerely thank jwise and all the other posters for putting so much time and experience into this thread – and a special thank you to those who threw out all the “new guy” questions throughout the thread as I was wondering many of the same things.

After lurking here on and off for over a year, I've finally gotten the time on this deployment to work my way completely through all 75 pages of this thread, and I think I've narrowed my decision down to the Daniel Defense DDM4v3 or LMT CQB MRP Defender Model 16, although I'm leaning toward the LMT.

Reasons I like these:
                                -possess most or all of the required items in a “serious fighting arm” according to “The Chart”
                                -well known, respected manufacturers that test all their bolts/barrels and have lifetime warranties
                                -sell completed rifles with many of the “options” that I've researched and find desirable, as standard features
                                (I know buying a complete rifle is not the cheapest way to go, but I'm more comfortable buying firearms this way as the most work I've ever done is changing recoil and hammer springs in a 1911 and I did that using tools that weren't designed for it (if I remember correctly, just a Leatherman) as I currently don't have... well... ANY “gun smithing” tools – maybe after I get familiar with the platform, I'll be more comfortable building one from the ground up)

The purpose of this rifle is mostly fun at the range and familiarity with the weapon system should I ever find myself picking one up off the ground and needing to use it, God forbid (Yes, I already have a Beretta 92FS as well). I plan to use it for defensive/tactical rifle class(es), perhaps some 3-gun competition somewhere down the line, and also for home defense from bad guys or varmints should the need arise. From what I have gathered on here, I probably can't go wrong with either one, but I have some clarification questions before I drop the money on it. Up front, please forgive me if these have been asked before. It took me about a month to read through the thread and I don't think these particular questions have been asked, but I do not have the most stellar memory on record. Here are my questions:
                                1.)MRP – I like the look and seamless integration of the top rail, but am concerned that it removes some of my options for customization down the line – only hand guard options, I think? - although I can't see myself ever wanting to remove the rail when I can just put panels on it where I want them – I don't remember reading anything about the MRP specifically, on here, but read a National Rifleman article that was positive. Any recommendations for or against going with the MRP vs the DD or another LMT without the MRP?
                                2.)CQB MRP comes with LMT's standard semi-auto bolt carrier, as far as I can tell. I've read good things on here about the 5.56, Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group. For my needs, as outlined above, should I upgrade immediately or will I be fine with the standard? If I should upgrade, the F/A enhanced and S/A enhanced are the same price. I might as well go with the F/A, right?
                                3.)I like the idea of battery storage in the stock. LMT has it with the SOPMOD but I think I've read that it's a pain to get the batteries out? I would plan on replacing the DD Magpul stock with RRA Operator CAR Stock or similar. Good idea or not? I know people seem to like Magpul on here, but again, looking for the battery storage...
                                4.)I'm looking at getting a SureFire weapon-light somewhere down the line. Two models I'm considering are the Millennium Series M961XM07 or Scout Series M600C. According to their website, “Our mid-range WeaponLights (see Scout Light®) feature higher outputs and tighter beams but produce enough surround beam for a broader field of vision. And our longer-range WeaponLights (see Millennium Universal system) combine the highest outputs available with reflectors or lenses designed to maximize the beam's reach.” Anyone using one of these? Pros/cons for either? Will the SR07 remote mount work better than the pressure switch? Will it satisfactorily replace one of the rail guards?
                                5.)I also plan on adding an optic at some point – considering the EOTech 557 and 3x magnifier or the Meopta K-Dot with LaRue SPR-E mount – I like the Meopta since it's all in one unit, ie. I wouldn't always want the magnifier and not have it, or have it and not want it, but the EOTech setup is about $215 cheaper on dsgarms.com. Would the “flip to side” EOTech 3x magnifier solve this problem? How does it work – is it still attached to the rail when it's flipped to the side or do you actually have to remove it from the rail by flipping it to the side? Thoughts one way or the other (Meopta/EOTech)? Also, it looks like the LMT BUIS takes up a lot more rail space than the DD. Will I need to replace that in order to run an optic in the “proper” location and co-witnessed?
                                6.)I have tritium sights on a 1911, and love them. I'm entertaining the thought of going with the CSAT rear sight w/ 24/7 tritium front post. Anyone know if I can add the CSAT to the LMT or DD BUIS? Did anyone ever answer the question of the tritium sight possibly interfering with the red dot optic if they're co-witnessed? I think the answer was that it completely blurred out under magnification, but I don't remember if it interfered at 1x or not.

I've spec'd both the DD and LMT out (also a CMMG and RRA) with all the options/accessories I'd like to have to basically arrive at the same end result and they came out to the same price (with the RRA and CMMG being cheaper up front but requiring more upgrades to get a comparable product), so that's why I'm currently looking at the LMT and DD. (I'm of the opinion that you get a better product putting the money out up front than trying to go cheaper and then having to do multiple upgrades down the line.) The answers to the questions above should seal the deal for me, then I just have to wait til I get back in America and get the money together to make my purchase.

I plan on purchasing from dsgarms.com with the military discount. It looks like the LMT will be slightly cheaper than the DD going this route. DSG doesn't seem to carry the DDM4v3 from what I can tell – looks like just the original DDM4 and the v2 – no mid-length. I'm going to keep watching to see if they add it.

Any and all comments and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance for all the help!

ecu

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12626 users online. 492 members and 12134 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X