300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quick question.

I'm thinking about getting a Troy flip up rear sight to replace the Matech one.

I notice that there doesnt appear to be an elevation adjustment on the Troy. I assume it's fixed at 300M and you go from there? Seems to only be windage adjustment.

Comment

• Originally posted by jak77 View Post
      another question about zeroing and aiming.
      when zeroing and aiming with irons, do you put crosshairs on center or lollipop it?
      Center.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
        Another quick question.

I'm thinking about getting a Troy flip up rear sight to replace the Matech one.

I notice that there doesnt appear to be an elevation adjustment on the Troy. I assume it's fixed at 300M and you go from there? Seems to only be windage adjustment.
        Most backup iron sights (especially the flip models) do not have elevation adjustments. Use the front pin to adjust for elevation at the distance you choose, and learn the hold-offs.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I was asked to provide a maintenance/cleaning regimen, so I will do so now. If I have already done this, then excuse me. I didn't feel like searching for it.

Cleaning Your AR-15 Rifle

After you have shot your AR, you will want to clean it. Perhaps not every time, especially if you fired less than 100 rounds, but clean your rifle like you would your car's oil: every 300 rounds or 3 months, whichever comes first.

This applies to the guy who shoots frequently, but only shoots a few rounds at a time. He won't want to clean his rifle every day or so, but before 300 rounds or 3 months, it is a good idea to clean it out.

If this is a patrol rifle, then clean it before going back on duty.

This isn't just for reliability's sake. Excess grime causes excess wear. There are a lot of moving parts in an AR, and when there is excess carbon sludge mixing it up in tight spaces, the metal (soft aluminum) WILL wear over time.

Cleaners and Kit

To clean the rifle quickly, I use shop towels, CLP, and a bore snake in .22cal.

For a more thorough cleaning, you'll need a few more things:
          * Brass, one-piece, cleaning rod
          * Short rod segment with handle
          * Chamber brush
          * Solvent (Hoppes #9)

For a pre-storage maintenance, you'll want some grease.

Here are a few parts of my cleaning kit:

Quick/Regular Cleaning Regimen

Disassemble the rifle, and wipe down all internal areas with a shop towel wetted down with CLP. Wipe EVERYTHING.

After wiping every crevice you can get your fingers into, run the bore snake through the barrel (breech to muzzle) a few times.

Re-assemble the rifle, and put it in the safe.

Deep cleaning

Every now and then (say, after every thousand rounds or so), you'll want to do a more thorough cleaning.

For this, I start by punching the bore with a patch wetted down with solvent.

I then move on to wipe down all internal areas of the upper and lower receivers with a shop towel wetted down with CLP.

I then disassemble the bolt carrier, removing the bolt, cam pin and firing pin. Take the extractor out of the bolt. Clean under the extractor.

Come back to the upper, and clean the chamber using the chamber brush attached to the short rod segment with the handle. This brush does not penetrate the bore, but only goes into the chamber and spins. The brush has a 'skirt' of wire bristles that clean the locking lug area while the main part of the brush cleans the chamber.

Now that the solvent has had time to work (loosening up the powder residue), it is time to clean the barrel. Using the one-piece brass rod, punch the bore a couple times with a brass .22cal brush. Alternate between the brush and a wet patch a couple times, until the patch is coming out clean. Switch to a dry patch and punch the bore one more time. Lastly, wet down a patch with CLP and run it through the bore to coat it with some oil. (Since the bore is chrome lined, this last step is probably pointless, but I still do it.)

Pre-Storage Maintenance Regimen

If you know you won't be shooting the rifle for some time (say, three months or more), or the rifle will be in extreme temperatures and will need to be 'ready for the fight', you'll want to take one more step than just cleaning.

I use grease. While grease is not necessary for cleanings between shooting sessions, it is a god-send for those of us who have more than just one or two rifles, and may set one up for a few months before shooting it. Since AR's like to be run wet, it is difficult to accomplish this with a light oil that evaporates over time. While CLP is a heavier oil than Rem Oil, or something similar, it still evaporates in extreme heat or after prolonged storage.

Using grease between frequent range trips can be terribly expensive, and a waste of effort, but there is nothing better to keep the rifle in fighting condition indeterminate of the circumstances.
          Last edited by jwise; 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM.
          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Here's a rifle that's been in the safe for probably a year without being shot. I think it was over the Christmas break of '08 when I cleaned it and put it up.

Notice the bolt carrier is still glistening from the grease:

Grease on the charging handle:

Grease on the back of the bolt carrier:

Grease in the upper receiver:

This rifle is ready for action, after being put up over a year ago. Oil would have dried up, and would have left this rifle unprepared for the fight.
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• thank you once again jwise!
              "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

• Originally posted by jak77 View Post
                another question about zeroing and aiming.
                when zeroing and aiming with irons, do you put crosshairs on center or lollipop it?
                That is shooter preference. There are valid reasons for doing either, which may come into play in rifle vs handgun and at varying ranges. When using irons, I personally use the top of the FSP to bisect my POA.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• To me, Loli-popping is for target-shooting, where there is a known target size and known distance. Target sights can be adjusted so that a 6 o'clock hold puts you in the bulls eye on a 12" target at 25yds.

For combat arms, loli-popping seems to be very dangerous, as you will be shooting at unknown targets at unknown distances.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• thank you gentlemen
                    "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

• which type of lube do you prefer and find works well? I know the old standby is breakfree CLP but have heard of many raving about slip200 EWL. pros and cons for each? Ive also seen breakfree LP, would this lubricate better than the normal CLP?

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                        To me, Loli-popping is for target-shooting, where there is a known target size and known distance. Target sights can be adjusted so that a 6 o'clock hold puts you in the bulls eye on a 12" target at 25yds.

For combat arms, loli-popping seems to be very dangerous, as you will be shooting at unknown targets at unknown distances.
                        Sorry gotta disagree to an extent on the combat application. I know many high speed types / units that use a lollipop type of aim point while distance shooting is a bisect or center hold. Again, as mentioned distances play a factor and most definitely shooter skill, practice and familiarity play a role. Similar in concept to "crowning" your standard AR/M4/M16 sight. Don't get me wrong as I feel this is not just for high speed types but one must definitely practice for proficiency / familiarity of distances / holds. IMO when someone shoots enough, judging distance to 300 or so yards and applying a good combat aim / point of impact on a human torso isn't that difficult.

I know you are a big fan of Paul Howe, as am I and here is the concept that he specifically designed a rear sight aperture for. In his former community and several other tactical communities this concept is strong with a standard sighting system. This Howe designed sighting concept can be done with standard sights but he simplified it. Definitely not target shooter types. We can also apply this concept to pistol sights with a slight variance.
                        http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html#paul

As I said earlier, for myself, I bisect at my zero distance and know my hold offs up to CQB ranges.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• While I am familiar with the CSAT XS sight, I don't see how that relates to loli-popping.

I'm sure someone can use any method he wishes as long as he has enough training time with that hold-off. I just don't see the benefit being anywhere near the downside. However, if by 'loli-popping' you just mean a couple inches off from bisecting the target, fine. My understanding is that most refer to a significant hold-off which would translate into extreme discrepancies at distance.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Does anyone have experience with BCM uppers? I am thinking about getting one for my LMT lower. Thanks, Frank

Comment

• Do it. They are terrific.
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• just posted a new thread on my rifle, but had to put it in this thread as well

here it is

Specs:

BCM 16in Carbine upper receiver group w/FA BCG
                                Spikes lower receiver
                                RRA lower parts kit
                                Vltor Emod stock and buffer assebly FDE
                                Magpul MOE handgaurd FDE
                                Magpul MOE pistol grip FDE
                                Magpul 10/20 Pmags FDE (thanks kalifornia)
                                Daniel Defense fixed rear sight
                                Raddlock magazine lock (thanks again kalifornia)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8437 users online. 280 members and 8157 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X