300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TaskForce20 View Post
    She's a beauty Surf. Thanks for the call out on Noveske, and would love to see your other 2 rifles. However, I'm curious if you or JWISE had to choose between KAC and Noveske ($$ not being a factor), which would you consider the superior quality rifle? It looks like KAC won a decent contract from the Army for the SR-M110-SASS. Thanks again.
    You should check out the new KAC/Magpul limited edition carbine

$3200, haha.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

• Picked up my Colt today. I spent about a hour with the manual in hand taking it apart. Wiped it down a bit and lubed it up.

I ran the barrel brush through it a few times...but I couldnt run patches through it. Apparently the patches I have are to thick and wont run through the barrel. I'll be getting some new patches tomorrow.

I also picked up some ammo. A few boxes of "PMC" 55 grain ammo in .233. And a few boxes of Hornady 75 BTHP .223.

Is the PMC okay for plinking? Anyone recommend some relatively cheap plinking ammo that's "clean" and good to use?

Comment

• PMC is fine. Prvi, Winchester White Box, Winchester Q3131, Federal American Eagle, and Federal XM193 are a few of the common ones. I've shot a bunch of Wolf and Monarch too.

Ar15.com has a pretty good review list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
          Picked up my Colt today. I spent about a hour with the manual in hand taking it apart. Wiped it down a bit and lubed it up.

I ran the barrel brush through it a few times...but I couldnt run patches through it. Apparently the patches I have are to thick and wont run through the barrel. I'll be getting some new patches tomorrow.

I also picked up some ammo. A few boxes of "PMC" 55 grain ammo in .233. And a few boxes of Hornady 75 BTHP .223.

Is the PMC okay for plinking? Anyone recommend some relatively cheap plinking ammo that's "clean" and good to use?

PMC is okay but I have found it to be dirty. Your Colt should eat it up w/ no issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outshined
            I just bought a pre ban Colt. What is it worth, never fired in box.
            If you post a picture, and the label from the end of the box, we could give you a good estimate.

Oh, and since you called it a "pre-ban", I need to know your market as well (all your profile says is "US".)
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• what zero are you guys using to sight in your rifles?
              "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

• Originally posted by jak77 View Post
                what zero are you guys using to sight in your rifles?
                For my purposes;

CQB carbine w/EoTech = 50 yard BZO.
                Observer rifle w ACOG & Dr Optic = 100 yard w/Dr Optic at 50 yards.
                Scoped SPR = 100yards.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Picked up some P-mags and a AFG for the AR this weekend.

Going to try and zero it this weekend or next once it's warm out.

The rear sight on my 6940 is out to meters. If I do a 50 yard zero where should I start with the rear sight?

A few people I've talked to have said to do a 100yrd zero. Thoughts?

Comment

Picked up some P-mags and a AFG for the AR this weekend.

Going to try and zero it this weekend or next once it's warm out.

The rear sight on my 6940 is out to meters. If I do a 50 yard zero where should I start with the rear sight?

A few people I've talked to have said to do a 100yrd zero. Thoughts?
                    In reality on a iron sight rifle or red dot battle carbine either a 50 yard or 100 yard zero will do well and you will likely see no discernible difference in POA / POI. In other words if you were going to shoot someone at 50 yards or 100 yards, iron sight or red dot, the actual point of impact shift will be so minimal that the shooters marksmanship ability and the rifles MOA capability will be far more of a factor on where the bullet impacts vs the distance at which the rifle is zero'd. In my experience the 6940's are able to get into the 2MOA or just under, accuracy range out of the box, so no matter what, you can easily have a 2" variance in POI at 100 yards.

You will also need to take into account at what ranges you will generally be shooting at. The bullet trajectory will be crossing line of sight at 2 points, so you will have the same POA/POI at 2 places. These points can also change with ammo types. So at what distances you intend to shoot will affect how high, or how low you will need to aim at different distances and different zero's will afford a flatter trajectory with less offset in certain ranges.

So much depends on you, your ammo and at what ranges you plan to shot at. But all in all both a 50 yard and 100 yard zero are both very good.

Here is some good reading on the topic.
                    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....hlight=zeroing
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Thanks again for your insight.

As far as the rear sight is concerned should I still start at the 300m mark on it? It also seems to skip there is a 100, 200, flat line, 300, then 400 etc mark.

The manual doesnt say what's the straight line is for and says so zero based off of the 300m mark at 50m I believe.

Will I be okay to zero at either 50yrds or 100yrds with the rear sight set at 300m?

Comment

• Note the following is meant for military issue M855 62gr green tip ammo.

Your 300m zero will translate to an approximate 25m zero also. This is a standard military zero using a standard 25m zero target.

For an M4/M4A1 use the elevation knob set at 300m. From there make the elevation adjustments with the FSP.

On an M16A4 you set the zero at the | mark and set the elevation with the FSP on a 25m target.

For shooting at 100 yards and the rear sight at 300m you will need to calculate your hold off which is around 6" high or so at 100m. Now if you were to set it at 200m you would be around 2" high or so at 100m.

This is a starting point but all of this should be verified on the range with your choice of ammo.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks again for your insight.

As far as the rear sight is concerned should I still start at the 300m mark on it? It also seems to skip there is a 100, 200, flat line, 300, then 400 etc mark.

The manual doesnt say what's the straight line is for and says so zero based off of the 300m mark at 50m I believe.

Will I be okay to zero at either 50yrds or 100yrds with the rear sight set at 300m?
                            Regardless of where you zero,if this is a patrol rifle, I would highly recommend some 7 to 10 yard shooting. I see a lot of guys that really mess up when shooting up close especially with optic equipped rifles.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by j706 View Post
                              Regardless of where you zero,if this is a patrol rifle, I would highly recommend some 7 to 10 yard shooting. I see a lot of guys that really mess up when shooting up close especially with optic equipped rifles.
                              Not a PR but I'll take your advice.

Comment

• another question about zeroing and aiming.
                                when zeroing and aiming with irons, do you put crosshairs on center or lollipop it?
                                "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9642 users online. 398 members and 9244 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X