Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also wanted to add something regarding the front sight. While I agree the standard FSB is inherently stronger, I do not have any reservations running a flip up front sight. The 6940 sight sucks though.

I heard the argument, "Front sights hang-up and get caught on everything, so it needs to be strong." Of course the standard FSB does. It sticks out like a sore thumb and obviously would catch on corners and such. A front sight folded down does not have the same potential to catch on things.

One of the manufacturers (YHM or Vltor, can't remember) conducted a "twist test" where they tried to twist a clamp-on style (held by crossbolts, not set screws) gas block/flip-up front sight combo. The barrel index pin sheared and the barrel turned in the upper receiver without the sight moving. That is plenty strong IMHO. I've bashed my PRI unit a few times by accident (while flipped-up) and zero has not been affected. I use Rocksett on the screws to prevent them from loosening.

Fold-down sights are meant as back-up. Running a durable and reliable optic (Aimpoints ) means that the likelihood of using BUIS is minimal. If you need an immediate transition from failed optic to iron sights, this usually means that you are within CQB ranges and you can use the Aimpoint (or other optic) as a large ghost ring and make hits at short ranges. At longer ranges, you would want to take cover and flip your sights up.

I have no doubt that rail-mounted front sights are rugged enough as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by loadtoad View Post
      I don't know if this helps those shopping for their first AR, but based on the info provided in this thread I went with a Colt 6920 from impactguns.com.
      I can't believe you bought a Colt with all the recent recalls they have been having on the 6920's. Didn't any one warn you? Multiple reports of barrels blowing up even with good factory ammo. They think it's the steel in the barrel. Don't shoot it for pete's sake.

send it to me for recycling.

Just kidding you. Congrats on the Colt, that's still on my list of gotta-have-one guns.

"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

• Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
        Fold-down sights are meant as back-up. Running a durable and reliable optic (Aimpoints ) means that the likelihood of using BUIS is minimal. If you need an immediate transition from failed optic to iron sights, this usually means that you are within CQB ranges and you can use the Aimpoint (or other optic) as a large ghost ring and make hits at short ranges. At longer ranges, you would want to take cover and flip your sights up.
        This just shows a difference in our theories of how to run a rifle. I was annoyed with my former department when they mandated that backup sights must be "immediately accessible", and this was defined as "flip sights must be kept flipped up."

After a couple experiences (on the range, not the street), I became a believer. I don't advocate flip sights (except for use with magnified optics). My sights are fixed, and are my PRIMARY sights. The red dot optic is just gravy...
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDavy View Post
          I can't believe you bought a Colt with all the recent recalls they have been having on the 6920's. Didn't any one warn you? Multiple reports of barrels blowing up even with good factory ammo. They think it's the steel in the barrel. Don't shoot it for pete's sake.

send it to me for recycling.

Just kidding you. Congrats on the Colt, that's still on my list of gotta-have-one guns.

You got me!

Comment

• Originally posted by loadtoad View Post
            You got me!
            Well then rush out and buy a 6920 then send it to me...
            "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I'm pretty much set on getting a 6920 at this point unless they have a 40 in stock and no 20. If I must order I'm going to get a 20.

With that being said...does anyone have any comments or experiance with the Omega 7 rail system. And perks of going with another rail system? I'm sure I could find someone to install a "normal" rail system if need be.

Comment

• The carbine size DD Omega rail is a good rail and easy to install. I like to get pretty far out on my support hand so I like a longer rail, but that is my personal preference that fits my shooting style.

This is how my hand placement looks. Obviously I cannot achieve this grip with a carbine length rail without burning my hand. This is a 16" barrel with a 12" Troy rail.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Thanks.

I'm rather short and I doubt I'd be able to hold the rifle at that point without the stock all the way in. I'm sure my hold is giong to have to be a bit closer to the "middle" of the barrell.

Just waiting on my tax return to come through and I'll havfe some pictures.

It's going to be a slow build since I need to factor in a long gun safe into this purchase as well.

Comment

• Suffered a minor setback today. Went to the local shop and although their websites list the 6920 at 1390 they were asking 1590 for it in the store and 1790 for the 6940.

A bit more then I thought was a fair price in the current market so I'll have to shop a few more stores in the area at this point.

Comment

• Buy it online, and have it shipped to your local FFL. At most, the shop will charge you a $50 transfer fee. It might even be as low as $30, or $20.

Best price online is around $1100.

Shipping will cost you $30 or so.

Less than $1200 should be the goal. Online also avoids sales tax.
                      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Charles Daly /KBI Out of Business.

Interesting...

http://www.charlesdaly.com/

http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1744

The Rumors are True!
                        To all our friends, fans, supporters and consumers of Charles Daly and by extension, KBI products, I regret to inform you that the rumors of our demise are true.

KBI is going out of business and closing its doors, effective today.

I don't want to go into each and every detail as to why this has occurred, except to say that there have been a multitude of events over the past five years that have contributed to our current situation.

For those of you with ongoing service requirements, please be advised that we are currently negotiating with several companies that will be performing after-sale service of Charles Daly, CD Defense and Jericho firearms. As soon as we have finalized a contract with one of these companies we will post the name, address and contact details of that company so you will know who to contact to obtain service on your KBI firearm.

We will allow this forum to remain open as long as all discourse remains civil. If any posts deteriorate to a level that is beneath the standards of this forum then the forum will be closed to all posters and will only exist for announcements from KBI.

Again, I wish to thank all of you that have supported our company, this forum and Charles Daly these past 20 years. This spells the end of KBI but I imagine it will certainly not mean the end of Charles Daly and CD Defense. Look for this excellent brand to resurface in the very near future.

Sincerely,

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                          Buy it online, and have it shipped to your local FFL. At most, the shop will charge you a $50 transfer fee. It might even be as low as $30, or $20.

Best price online is around $1100.

Shipping will cost you $30 or so.

Less than $1200 should be the goal. Online also avoids sales tax.
                          Here's the way I look at it...

1. Buying local... you'll pay sales tax, but no FFL fee or shipping. Some states don't have sales tax. You'll have to either call around or drive around to see if they have what you want in stock. I hate calling around and driving around.

2. Buying online... you'll pay no sales tax (if purchasing from out of state or a state with no sales tax), but you'll have to pay an FFL fee and potentially shipping. Much easier to determine what's in stock, no calling around or driving around. Shop in your pajamas. With larger ticket items, you can often find online sites that have free or low price shipping (gotta love AIM Surplus and their penny shipping deals!).

If I know what I want, I calculate the above and figure out what's cheaper. But I also factor in the reputation of the online store I'm buying from. I won't buy from a site that I haven't head anything about, and sometimes, I'm willing to pay a little more to buy from a reputable online site that has a good history of customer service (i.e. Amazon.com, I only wish they would sell firearms).

Edit:

Here's the GunBroker.com FFL finder link.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
                          Last edited by WinterBoarder; 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yaktamer View Post
                            Yeah, I thought it sounded like short stroking, although it's ejecting without any problem. I'm thinking maybe I should have done a little better job of an initial clean and lube. I've got a 1/7 twist, so I'm planning on using a heavier bullet. I'll probably handload something in the 69-70 grain range for coyotes. I expect I'll lay in a case or two of 5.56 62 gr, M855 for dafense against zombies. Found a pretty good deal on some Prvi Partizan. There's also a Lithuanian manufactured NATO round floating around out there. Anybody have any experience with it?
                            Was this problem with the DD resolved? Just reading through the thread and found this but no resolution. Thanks...

Comment

• Well I finally got around to getting my first rifle. I chose the Colt 6920. Ordered it off of impactguns.com. They were going for $1199 on Sunday night, but Monday morning they bumped up to $1214. Even with shipping and FFL transfer fee, is was better than $1350 plus tax that my local store wanted.

Along with it, I ordered some Pmags, Magpul MOE hand guard with added rail, tango down VFG, VTAC sling, and Surefire G2 LED.

Would love to get an optic...but at $5-600 that just aint happening right now...

Thanks to everyone in the thread for sharing your knowledge.
                              Last edited by OrlandoExp103; 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM.
                              When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

• Colt LE6920 M4 Law Enforcement Carbine - .223/5.56mm
                                Price $1149.95
                                http://www.topgunsupply.com/colt-le6...223-556mm.html

Colt LE6940 M4 Law Enforcement Carbine with Monolithic Rail
                                Price $1539.95
                                http://www.topgunsupply.com/colt-le6...23-5.56mm.html

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3869 users online. 196 members and 3673 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X