• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
    Cool, thanks. Hopefully this thing will give me some nice groups
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• 50 yds??? Cheater!
      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
        50 yds??? Cheater!
        Well sometimes the enemy isn't 200 yards away!
        New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Comment

• I've read this thread twice and have looked over it a few others times.

I'm still a bit confused though.

I'm in the market for .223 based rifle and have came to determine it's more then likely going to be an AR.

One issue I'm having is trying to get an idea of what "fair" pricing is. I can not find a website to narrow down pricing.

I'd really like to get a 6940 Colt. Is it unreasonable to expect to get one for less then 1400?

In a perfect world I'd like a good out of the box ordered rifle for under a grand. Last time I went to my local gun shop the prices seemed really high but that was at the end of 09.

For a first rifle does it make sense to get something a bit cheaper and work into a "nicer" rifle or just get something decent from the start?

Comment

• My advice is to get what you want from the start, although I have BRD (black rifle disease) and am currently on a third build. The 6940 isn't going to get much cheaper than $1400 in my opinion. A 6920 is around $11-1200 and if you can go with one of those and quad rail system for around $200 you're still spending around the same.
            People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

• Name Taken: here is a good site to compare brands and current pricing of most AR15's.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/ar15.html

As you will see the Colts and Bushmasters are MUCH higher than say a DPMS, but you'll also find that usually has to do with nothing more than the name stamped on the reciever. I have a DPMS and after about 5000 rounds thus far I have had ZERO issues and they are going for roughly $900...

Happy AR hunting...hope this site helps
              "To understand sacrifice, you must understand loss. To understand loss, you must understand pain. And to understand pain, you must lose something you've sacrificed for!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                I've read this thread twice and have looked over it a few others times.

I'm still a bit confused though.

I'm in the market for .223 based rifle and have came to determine it's more then likely going to be an AR.

One issue I'm having is trying to get an idea of what "fair" pricing is. I can not find a website to narrow down pricing.

I'd really like to get a 6940 Colt. Is it unreasonable to expect to get one for less then 1400?

In a perfect world I'd like a good out of the box ordered rifle for under a grand. Last time I went to my local gun shop the prices seemed really high but that was at the end of 09.

For a first rifle does it make sense to get something a bit cheaper and work into a "nicer" rifle or just get something decent from the start?
                Prices are very cheap right now. With the current pricing on top quality rifles it really doesn't make much sense to get a cheap rifle even if you plan on upgrading. Right now I would get a good rifle from the start. The 6940 can be purchased sub $1400 and the 6920's are going for sub $1200. I own both models but the 6920 is a bit more flexible for future customization.

Originally posted by rcwj1975 View Post
                As you will see the Colts and Bushmasters are MUCH higher than say a DPMS, but you'll also find that usually has to do with nothing more than the name stamped on the reciever. I have a DPMS and after about 5000 rounds thus far I have had ZERO issues and they are going for roughly $900...
                This is not true. The Bushmaster is over priced IMO when you compare the quality vs other top notch makers. There is a big difference in the quality of parts in say a Colt vs a bushmaster, or a DPMS. To upgrade either the bushmaster or DPMS to be of the same quality parts, you often end up paying more in the long run than if you would have just purchased the better quality rifle from the start.

This in no way means that a lesser quality rifle will not work well on an individual basis however on a large scale there is much more chance of issues and issues are bad at the wrong time. I am also not saying that mil-spec is the end all of quality, but IMO, it should be a minimal standard to be expected out of a duty rifle when lives are on the line, in comparison to say a plinking rifle.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Can you explain why the 6920 is better for "upgrades" down the line?

From my understanding the 40 is the same menus the rail system already attached.

I figured I'd toss an optic on it, a light, either a VFG or Magpuls AFG and that's it.

Does it make sense to grab a 40 with the rail system or a 20 and install a rail system?

Comment

Can you explain why the 6920 is better for "upgrades" down the line?

From my understanding the 40 is the same menus the rail system already attached.

I figured I'd toss an optic on it, a light, either a VFG or Magpuls AFG and that's it.

Does it make sense to grab a 40 with the rail system or a 20 and install a rail system?
                    I personally prefer a longer rail and with the 6940 there is no option short of a complete upper change. I also prefer a fixed front sight post on a duty type of carbine as they are more rugged. The flip up front sight that comes stock on the 6940 is not the best IMO. For that matter I really don't care for the rear sight either. I will say that out of the box, my 6940 was noticeably more accurate. More so than I would have just attributed to a free float set up. I have seen this with a few other 6940's also. When I am talking noticeably more accurate, both were well within what I would consider acceptable for this class of rifle.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
                      I also prefer a fixed front sight post on a duty type of carbine as they are more rugged.
                      I agree. I really don't like flip up front sights.

When I chose Bushmaster, they were selling for $760; Colt 6920's were nearly impossible to find, and $1400 or so when you could.

When I chose CMMG, they were selling for $810; Colt 6920's were nearly impossible to find, and $1400 or so when you could.

With Colt 6920's at $1150 or so, Bushmaster selling for $900, and CMMG going for $1100, there really isn't any purpose in getting anything other than a Colt. While the Colt may not be worth $500-600 more, they are definitely worth $200 more.
                      J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Could you put a fixed front sight and something like a Troy on the back?

I'm not sure what's involved with replacing the sights.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Could you put a fixed front sight and something like a Troy on the back?

I'm not sure what's involved with replacing the sights.
                          Replacing the front sight of the 6940 means replacing the entire gas block.

Get a 6920.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• My Recent Purchase

Hello,

Thanks Jwise and all others for the really good info. For an inexperienced buyer, this post was an excellent find. I hope I made some good decisions.

I don't know if this helps those shopping for their first AR, but based on the info provided in this thread I went with a Colt 6920 from impactguns.com. It was selling for $1150 (+ $36 shipping and $50 FFL fee). It came NIB with the cleaning brushes and rods, instructions, and 2 - 20rd colt magazines.

They're up to $1199 now. It was by far the cheapest NIB I could find. The only thing close was around $1300 by a private seller on gunbroker.com, but I would have not felt comfortable with the source.

Also based on the advice on this thread I bought an Aimpoint H-1 for $499 (carry handle mounted), and a bayonet lug mounted TLR-1 LED light for $99 from http://www.botachtactical.com.

I bought the H-1 becasue from what I read the only major difference b/t H-1 and T-1 is that the T-1 is compatible with NV, which I don't foresee a need for. It is very nice. It sits comfortably atop the rail, and since it's very compact it doesn't look or feel akward at all. I haven't gone to the range yet, but just going back and forth looking through the scope and BUIS is very easy and natural.

I also got a Blackhawk adjustable sling for about $39 from OpticsPlanet.com, and a MOLE carry case for about another $50 from cheaperthandirt.com. I also ordered 400rds of WWB 5.56 ammo from cheaperthandirt.com for $176 + shipping.

Anyway, it was a great holiday gift. I went with the carry handle mount because I just didn't have the money left to upgrade to a different BUIS system so I figured when I get the money I'll take the carry handle off and install my AIMPOINT and the BUIS on the rail.

Hoping to go to the range this weekend to sight in. I'll post picks as soon as I can.

Comment

• I searched and I believe the carry handle on the 6920 is removable.

I'd rather not have a carry handle so that's a bonus I could remove it.

I do like the idea of a fixed front sight.

Would the Omega rail system from DD be okay to install on a 20? I want a free float rail system that I can install myself without tools or taking it to a smith.
                              Last edited by Name Taken; 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Would the Omega rail system from DD be okay to install on a 20? I want a free float rail system that I can install myself without tools or taking it to a smith.
                                Yes. You would need the Omega 7.0 model. Drops in and free-floats the barrel. Do not get the Omega mixed up with the Omega X. The latter is not drop-in and requires armorer tools.

Here is a pictorial guide to installing an Omega rail.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7278 users online. 316 members and 6962 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X