300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
    I don't know much about Daniel Defense, in terms of ar's, but the link NavyDave posted above:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

Is pretty much THE source to check which ones give the best bang for the buck. My personal feeling is that I would steer clear of anything that is not pretty far to the left of the chart at the bottom. I know locally, I can buy a LMT upper and a LMT lower, put them together, and have a full LMT for $900 - for some reason, it is cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately. That's $46 cheaper than the price you quoted for the Daniel Defense, and puts you to the far left side of the chart, vs off of it completely. Just the way I would go, though.
    "The Chart" as it is referred to is a very good reference, and rob_s and the guys over at m4c did a very good job compiling it. It does get quite a few people butt hurt over its results and the purchases that they have made, however it is a good reference and mostly accurate. Having said that, do not assume that if a rifle is not on "The Chart" that it is not a top notch rifle. Quite frankly no one has taken the time to put the DD rifle on "The Chart".

I do agree that I would pick the best when my life is on the line, and my primary weapons are Colt's. I do have one other rifle that is a working gun, but it is one that I built, so I know it inside and out. Having said that, I have already mentioned my top list and I would rely on any of them. The DD happens to fall on that list, and not just because of the "extra's".

Originally posted by OperatorEX
    Bravo Company is also having a sale on uppers..

Larue Tactical rail or Daniel Defense Lite rail?
    This is a toss up IMO, these are 2 of the best rails. I also like to put Troy in this same upper category as Larue and DD but the Troy rails are a good bit less expensive.

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
    Are you recomending the Omega over the Omega X simply because the X requires disassembly or is there another reason. I'm ok taking apart the gun so if thats the reason I'm ok with that.

What is the major benefit to having either over the other.

I know these questions are annoying but I'm learning that there is a lot to making this gun function well that you can only learn from experience, which you guys have.
    The Omega is easy to install for most people without tools or experience, but is a bit more of a PITA to take apart to clean under the handguards as you need to take off all the hex screws.

The Omega X on the other hand is initially more difficult to install but once installed a screw driver is all that is needed to separate the two halves. Not sure how much cleaning is needed under the handguards but that is the theory.

As for installation, with the Daniel Defense rails that use their "lite" barrel nut, you need to remove the flash hider, gas tube, Front sight post, D ring & spring, and remove the stock barrel nut. For many people they will not have the tools or the knowledge to do this. Then you will need to reverse the process making sure to check all specs properly without twisting things out of shape. Without the right tools / clamping devices, it is easy to damage your rifle. Installing a barrel is not rocket science but it is critical to get certain specs correct. One good thing about the DD "lite" barrel nut is that you don't have to index it with the gas tube. Not a big thing but it is easier.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Personally, I prefer DD Lite rails. LT rails are just as good though and I do like the built in QD sockets.

Originally posted by Surf View Post
      As for installation, with the Daniel Defense rails that use their "lite" barrel nut, you need to remove the flash hider, gas tube, Front sight post, D ring & spring, and remove the stock barrel nut. For many people they will not have the tools or the knowledge to do this. Then you will need to reverse the process making sure to check all specs properly without twisting things out of shape. Without the right tools / clamping devices, it is easy to damage your rifle. Installing a barrel is not rocket science but it is critical to get certain specs correct. One good thing about the DD "lite" barrel nut is that you don't have to index it with the gas tube. Not a big thing but it is easier.
      I would like to add that the delta ring and weld spring come off with the barrel nut.

Comment

• Correct, and you even highlighted the delta ring and weld spring in my post, I just abbreviated it with D ring & spring.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
          Correct, and you even highlighted the delta ring and weld spring in my post, I just abbreviated it with D ring & spring.
          I know that, but the way you had it sounded like you had to remove the delta ring and weld spring before the barrel nut. It is all one assembly and you don't really even need to remove the ring and spring from the barrel nut.

Comment

• Ok, I just assumed that was a given, unless perhaps if they are cut off to leave the barrel nut, the way Troy suggests, but I still don't cut off the Delta ring, despite what Troy might suggest.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Thanks

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Ordered the DDXV this afternoon.

Comment

• For a while (a long while) the BCM wasn't on "the Chart." It wasn't in my review either (and it still isn't, really). That doesn't mean it isn't top notch, and a very good rifle to carry into harm's way.

The Chart now contains the BCM, and my review includes the Daniel Defense rifle.

There you have it....

ETA: Why haven't I included the BCM, yet? Has NOBODY sent me pictures!?
                Last edited by jwise; 11-07-2009, 09:22 PM.
                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                  For a while (a long while) the BCM wasn't on "the Chart." It wasn't in my review either (and it still isn't, really). That doesn't mean it isn't top notch, and a very good rifle to carry into harm's way.

The Chart now contains the BCM, and my review includes the Daniel Defense rifle.

There you have it....

ETA: Why haven't I included the BCM, yet? Has NOBODY sent me pictures!?
                  two of us posted pictures of bcm. Do you want me to send them to you instead?
                  If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• You're right, pictures HAVE been posted. I guess it was just me who dropped the ball and haven't re-posted those pics on the first page of the thread with a review...

Maybe I'll get to it when I get up later this afternoon. It's bedtime, now!
                    J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Question for jwise

I'm almost finished with my AR15 build, but being as I live in NJ I can't have a collapsable stock or flash hider. Probably going to put a rock river entry stock on and go with a thread protector perm. mounted. But just wanted to see if you had any muzzle brakes you liked don't remember seeing that anywhere in the thread.

P.S. thanks for all the great info in this thread

Comment

• While my first choice might be a "bare" barrel (without threads), I would seriously consider a good brake instead of just a welded thread protector.

I would look into the Ben Cooley brake, or something similar...
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by davisac View Post
                          I'm almost finished with my AR15 build, but being as I live in NJ I can't have a collapsable stock or flash hider. Probably going to put a rock river entry stock on and go with a thread protector perm. mounted. But just wanted to see if you had any muzzle brakes you liked don't remember seeing that anywhere in the thread.

P.S. thanks for all the great info in this thread
                          The PWS FSC556 is an excellent compensator.

Comment

• I don't think that the PWS FSC556 would meet the NJ "non-flash hider" law. I believe that particular model would qualify as a flash suppressor...

You might want to check into this, because if I am wrong, the PWS compensator is a good one!

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              While my first choice might be a "bare" barrel (without threads), I would seriously consider a good brake instead of just a welded thread protector.

I would look into the Ben Cooley brake, or something similar...
                              My reasoning was a thread protector would basically mimic a thread-less barrel until I'm able to move to a different state. (Plus, it's cheaper )

Comment

• thanks guys i'll check that one out.

just a thought but jwise you should probably add NJ to your list of states in your sig line. we definitely "deserve" it.
                                Last edited by davisac; 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM. Reason: thought of something....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7874 users online. 365 members and 7509 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X