300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Defense Special

Anybody know if the $250 gift card deal is still on? I don't see anything on their website now. Some sellers are saying, "Buy before 12/15 and you get the card," but my reading of the offer linked elsewhere in the thread was more like " Buy after 9/1 and redeem by 12/15, lmited time offer while supply lasts," meaning that if I buy next week, the deal may not be available.(I know, I should just call them. My wife would be laughing herself silly if she saw this after I keep telling her it's usually easier to get info with a phone call rather than on the net).

Comment

• Since I don't know if a PM will get to jwise in time, I'll post the question here. Got a chance to pick up a Colt AR15A3 Model 6721 for $946 (Dept price). Can anyone point out the major differences between this rife and the Colt LE6290? I see the A3 is a 1 in 9 twist. That's about what jumps out at me. What else AR guru's????
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

• Originally posted by towncop View Post
        Since I don't know if a PM will get to jwise in time, I'll post the question here. Got a chance to pick up a Colt AR15A3 Model 6721 for $946 (Dept price). Can anyone point out the major differences between this rife and the Colt LE6290? I see the A3 is a 1 in 9 twist. That's about what jumps out at me. What else AR guru's????
        6721 -> 1/9 Twist, Heavy barrel
        6920 -> 1/7 Twist, M4 profile barrel.

Comment

• Thanks beavo......and the better would be.....??
          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Thanks beavo......and the better would be.....??
            "Better" is subjective. The 6721 has a heavier barrel which can support a higher rate of fire. 1/9 twist can shoot very lighweight varmint bullets to around 75gr bullets (depends on individual barrels). The M4 profile barrel on the 6920 is lighter weight which makes carrying the rifle more comfortable. 1/7 lets you shoot bullets heavier than 75gr.

Comment

Thanks beavo......and the better would be.....??
              Besides the barrel, the AR15A3 also has smaller AR handguards as opposed to larger M4 style. They were also produced for a period of time wit an AR civilian style bolt carrier and a non H Buffer. True newer productions will have M16 style carriers and H buffers.

I will say that Colt produces a great product no matter what. However I will say that Colt has a couple of different production assemblies. One is Civilian and one is Military (mil spec). Basically everything that comes from the mil spec side of things is pulled from mil spec "proofed" inventory and produced on a production line that is geared to meet strict mil spec standards / QC. The AR line is separate but I would not hesitate to order an AR line rifle, and I own a 6721. I am not saying that the AR line is inferior as they use the same high quality steel / MP / HPI testing etc, however the Military line is held to mil spec standards. The 6920 is produced from the mil spec line.

It is hard to go wrong with a 6721, and for that price it is a great deal. Many do not like the added weight of the heavy barrel, but that is subjective. We are issued 55gr Federal TRU ammo, and I will say that my 6721 with the 1:9 shoots it better than most of my 1:7 rifles. Maybe it is just a freak of an AR, but it shoots amazingly well. I own both 6721 and 6920's and would feel just as comfortable with either.
              Last edited by Surf; 11-05-2009, 11:17 PM.
              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Which Daniel rail?

OK, after a year of dithering, I've finally decided to take the plunge and get an AR-15. I found the Daniel XV for $949 (non-LEO price!). I'll be using the $250 gift card to get a railed forearm. Now, the question is which one? There are three or four different carbine length models shown on their website (Omega, X Omega, AR-15), but other than one or two being "no modification necessary," the difference between them isn't really clear to me. I don't mind having to cut the D ring, etc. if it means a better set up. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by yaktamer View Post
                  OK, after a year of dithering, I've finally decided to take the plunge and get an AR-15. I found the Daniel XV for $949 (non-LEO price!). I'll be using the $250 gift card to get a railed forearm. Now, the question is which one? There are three or four different carbine length models shown on their website (Omega, X Omega, AR-15), but other than one or two being "no modification necessary," the difference between them isn't really clear to me. I don't mind having to cut the D ring, etc. if it means a better set up. Any suggestions?
                  I don't know much about Daniel Defense, in terms of ar's, but the link NavyDave posted above:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

Is pretty much THE source to check which ones give the best bang for the buck. My personal feeling is that I would steer clear of anything that is not pretty far to the left of the chart at the bottom. I know locally, I can buy a LMT upper and a LMT lower, put them together, and have a full LMT for $900 - for some reason, it is cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately. That's $46 cheaper than the price you quoted for the Daniel Defense, and puts you to the far left side of the chart, vs off of it completely. Just the way I would go, though.
                  Last edited by Disturbed; 11-06-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• You save around 10% when you purchase an upper and lower separately, as you don't have to pay the excise tax for complete firearms.

The chart is a bit misleading at times, and that is why I posted pictures. You can decide for yourselves some of the issues. For example, the gas keys being properly staked. CMMG did not 'properly' stake them at one time, but are doing so now, etc...
                    Last edited by jwise; 11-06-2009, 10:07 PM.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
                      I don't know much about Daniel Defense, in terms of ar's, but the link NavyDave posted above:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

Is pretty much THE source to check which ones give the best bang for the buck. My personal feeling is that I would steer clear of anything that is not pretty far to the left of the chart at the bottom. I know locally, I can buy a LMT upper and a LMT lower, put them together, and have a full LMT for $900 - for some reason, it is cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately. That's $46 cheaper than the price you quoted for the Daniel Defense, and puts you to the far left side of the chart, vs off of it completely. Just the way I would go, though.
                      You've missed the last 2 pages of what they've been talking about.
                      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

You want the Omega 7.0 (Carbine).
                        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Omega - 2-piece drop-in, requires no modification to the rifle, locks up with 4 set screws that grip the standard barrel nut

Omega X - 2-piece, requires the 'Lite' barrel nut, the rail portion itself is removable after installation, requires disassembly of the barrel to install the correct barrel nut

Lite series - 1-piece, requires the 'Lite' barrel nut, requires disassembly of the barrel to install the correct barrel nut, it clamps the 1-piece rail portion and a "bolt-up plate" together with the barrel nut in between, widely considered to be the "best" attachement design

M4 series - 1-piece, uses an enlarged barrel nut, requires disassembly of the barrel to install the correct barrel nut, a collar threads onto the 1-piece rail portion and clamps the barrel nut inbetween, very similar to the KAC free-float RAS and LaRue Tactical designs

The Omega X, Lite, and M4 rails require taking apart barrel assembly. You cannot simply cut something off and replace it with a rail. Midwest Industries, Troy, and Samson offer 2-piece designs that clamp around the standard barrel nut.

Comment

• Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                            <SNIP>

The Omega X, Lite, and M4 rails require taking apart barrel assembly. You cannot simply cut something off and replace it with a rail. Midwest Industries, Troy, and Samson offer 2-piece designs that clamp around the standard barrel nut.
                            Kudos to you for explaining it all. Thanks.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              You want the Omega 7.0 (Carbine).
                              Are you recomending the Omega over the Omega X simply because the X requires disassembly or is there another reason. I'm ok taking apart the gun so if thats the reason I'm ok with that.

What is the major benefit to having either over the other.

I know these questions are annoying but I'm learning that there is a lot to making this gun function well that you can only learn from experience, which you guys have.
                              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                                You save around 10% when you purchase an upper and lower separately, as you don't have to pay the excise tax for complete firearms.

The chart is a bit misleading at times, and that is why I posted pictures. You can decide for yourselves some of the issues. For example, the gas keys being properly staked. CMMG did not 'properly' stake them at one time, but are doing so now, etc...
                                Thanks jwise. I agree completely about the chart not being perfect. There are a couple features I personally would not feel were deal breakers on the chart, but in terms of a quick reference point for which rifle is likely to be higher quality/ be more reliable, I think it is pretty spot on.

I know none of us is abusing our rifles like the guys overseas, but I am still a very firm believer in buying the best I possibly can, when it comes to things that may save my life. I have no personal experience with DD rifles, they very well may be the cat's meow. However, I do have experience with Colt (my duty rifle is a Colt), Rock Rivers, Bushmasters, LMT's, Olympics, DPMS, Sabres, and a few Frankenguns. I can say without any doubt that given a choice between any of the guns I have had experience with, the top two I would grab if I knew I was going to get in a gunfight would be first, the Colt, and next, the LMT.

That is just my personal feeling on the matter. I know a lot of guys don't feel the same way I do, and I know budget is always an obstacle. I also know that guys like jwise and Surf have more experience than I do, in all likelihood. The counterpoint I am trying to bring to the table is simply that for a work gun, always buy the very best you can possibly afford. The base rifle is the part that is gonna save you. Don't buy anything less than the very best you can. The free bells and whistles are nice, but they are not the most important aspect of the system.

If jwise says DD is as good as a Colt or LMT, I'd take him at his word. If it comes down to "the rifle isn't as good as a Colt or LMT, but you get some neat addons for the same price," I personally would buy the better rifle, and save for the rails, etc. "Close enough" when it comes to quality in a rifle that I may trust my life, or the life of one of my fellow officers to doesn't cut it for me. In all likelihood, even an Oly is gonna get a guy through the average encounter a cop will get into Stateside. I'm not much of a gambler, so that is not a chance I would want to take

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7036 users online. 247 members and 6789 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X