300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
    To expand on what Zeplin mentions, the 5.56 has about 2X the difference in the leade (throat) spacing vs the .223. The shorter leade of the .223 chamber will cause much higher pressure from the 5.56 being shot out of the .223 chamber, which can cause issues. Even though the 5.56 and .223 casing is virtually identical in the outside dimensions of the case, there are often differences in casing thickness and differing loads for NATO rounds.

So having said that, a 5.56 will generally shoot out of a .223 but it is NOT suggested.

As for your question about what .223 55 grain rounds are accurate out of a 5.56 chamber, you are leaving out a couple of key variables, such as bullet type / load, and second what type of barrel / twist are we talking about? Also what do you define as "accurate"? Is this for a precision type of semi-auto gas gun, or is it for a "combat accurate" type of rifle / carbine? I am not trying to be a PITA but there is a huge difference in a combat type M4 and an AR/M4 that falls into an SPR/Precision rifle category. I would guess you are talking about the former since we are talking about the DDXV.

I will state as a generalization from my own experience, a 1:7 twist barrel will shoot a 55 grain pretty accurately from a quality barrel but it will prefer a 75-77 grain round, match ammo is always better no matter. You would more than likely get better performance from a 1:9 to 1:8.5 barrel shooting 55 grain ammo.

I will give an example that from a very good 18" SS 1:7 match type of barrel, shooting 55 grain Federal TRU HI SHOK SP ammo, I am achieving 1 MOA of accuracy. With 75gr Hornady TAP and 75gr Black Hills (match type) ammo I am getting under .5 to .75 MOA with one 4 round group under .5MOA. I am curious to shoot the new 77gr Black Hills ammo.

Since you mention the DDXV, I will say that I run a 16" 4150, chrome lined, 1:7 DD barrel (NON-Hammer forged) on one of my rifles. With the 55gr Federal TRU, I get around 2 MOA accuracy, which is well within what I would consider acceptable for a CQB / battle carbine set up.
    For right now I'm shooting my issued M16A1 (1/12) so thats why I specified the 55gr.

Eventually I'll have my DD with a 1/7 and the grain wont be quite as important, to a degree.
    With either rifle it will be for patrol accuracy out to a max of 200yd, 100yd realistically. I won't be using this rifle as an entry gun.

I guess my main question is since the market is predominantly 5.56 NATO why is most of the ammo .223. Is it because the .223 is universal?
    Last edited by leesrt; 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM.
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

• There is a greater abundance of .223 because the 5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure (more powder), and the specs are more stringent (more expensive to produce.)
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDavy View Post
        Oh...................now I just got to find somewhere that has them in stock.

Thanks!!!
        Bravo has Bolts and complete BCG's in stock now. The price even went down a bit.

bolt 69.95 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A...semly%20mp.htm
        Complete BCG 139.95 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

Not a pro at this but I dont think you will find a better quality bolt or BCG.
        Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad519 View Post
          Bravo has Bolts and complete BCG's in stock now. The price even went down a bit.

bolt 69.95 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A...semly%20mp.htm
          Complete BCG 139.95 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

Not a pro at this but I dont think you will find a better quality bolt or BCG.
          Thanks I bought a complete bolt assembly from BCM about three weeks ago.
          "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

• Originally posted by 952melvin View Post
            I recently bought an AR (S&W M&P15).....I saw this post afterwords. Lots of good info in here and has been a help, but this is a subject that can cause a headache......there are so many upgrades available from so many manufactures so it is a bit tough to find upgrades or/and make decisions.

So far I have added a Mako bolt-on Picatinny to the bottom carbine hand guard and a Command Arms Accessories pistol Grip (which looks nice, and feels even better which is the most important!).

I also have the Magpul Advanced Trigger guard coming from ebay (live in MN so this is important), and a Command Arms Accessories foregrip coming from ebay as well.

I am also wondering if you have any suggestions of other things to get to add to it? I do want the Eotech Red Dot, but that is going to be later on when I get some change saved for that (the AR and that in one month would be a little much).
            Stop putting CAA junk on your piece. That stuff is for the hobbyist, not the pro.

Comment

• Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
              Stop putting CAA junk on your piece. That stuff is for the hobbyist, not the pro.
              Buying CAA is a crapshoot. Those few parts that are made in Israel or someplace other than China are ok. You just don't know where it was made until you get your hands on it.
              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Since the subject of ammo came up i got a few questions. I'm budget conscious and have been looking for some decent ammo that isn't gonna cost alot. I have an Armalite AR180B and it's chambered in 5.56. So... what's good? Is getting the military surplus brick in the vacuum sealed plastic pouch with carry handles built in ok? I picked up some boxes of Wolf ammo. I heard that it's crap (after I bought it) because of the varnish coating but these are NOT varnished so are they still crap? I've put over 500 rounds if 9mm Varnished Wolf ammo through my Sig226 w/o a hitch so I don't understand the reputation.
                One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

• Wolf typically works just fine, but it IS underpowered. This causes it to malfunction in some rifles that are more "sensitive" than others.

The South African battlepacks come in brown plastic/rubber bags with carry handles. That is excellent 5.56NATO ammunition. I wish I still had some left, but I shot it all up! They should be 300rds to a battlepack.
                  J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Whats a good price to pay for the battlepack(since the cost of everything has gone up)
                    One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

• I just bought some Winchester white box 55gr. FMJ 5.56 (not .223) for $9.95 a 20rd box from DSG. Better to buy in bulk but I only needed 4 boxes.

It ranked 3rd out of 32 reviewed on AR15.com

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product...-20-rd-box.cfm
                      Last edited by leesrt; 11-04-2009, 11:48 PM.
                      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

• not to hijack, but this is the AR thread....whats the word on the new ruger? anyone own one? is the only real difference the gas piston operation?

Comment

• Originally posted by nathanttu View Post
                          not to hijack, but this is the AR thread....whats the word on the new ruger? anyone own one? is the only real difference the gas piston operation?
                          Let me preface by saying, I am an internet commando, so take it for what it's worth. I've read a couple of threads on AR15.com and M4carbine.net about the Ruger. From the threads I've read, it's suffering from carrier tilt. I remember reading that it's having reliability problems at around 10K rounds, but can't remember what from. Also, it uses a 1/9 barrel w/, I believe, 4140 steel. I get the feeling that the professionals that post on those sites aren't too crazy about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nathanttu View Post
                            not to hijack, but this is the AR thread....whats the word on the new ruger? anyone own one? is the only real difference the gas piston operation?
                            There are already two threads on this topic:

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...ight=ruger+556

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...ight=ruger+556
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
                              Whats a good price to pay for the battlepack(since the cost of everything has gone up)
                              Well, since the ammo hasn't been imported (all dried up) for years now, it is hard to say. If you find someone who really LIKES the SA battlepacks (easy to store), he might pay a premium. Otherwise, it should go for whatever 5.56NATO is selling for (around $400/k).

$.40ea X 300rds = $120 per battlepack
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• For those that have never seen this.

M4 Comparison Chart and Explanation of Desirable Features

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
                                "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8578 users online. 389 members and 8189 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X