X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is that?
    Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

• Botach Tactical has a pretty bad reputation for its order processing quality.

I have ordered from them several times (sometimes their pricing just CAN'T be beat!), and have never experienced any negatives issues. However, that's a sampling of maybe 5 orders...
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I have personally had both positive and very negative problems with them. I am pretty much at the point that if I need something from them, I had best be banging on their steel door in the middle of the hood, so I can personally pick it up. If ya go there, just go heavily armed.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• I recently bought an AR (S&W M&P15).....I saw this post afterwords. Lots of good info in here and has been a help, but this is a subject that can cause a headache......there are so many upgrades available from so many manufactures so it is a bit tough to find upgrades or/and make decisions.

So far I have added a Mako bolt-on Picatinny to the bottom carbine hand guard and a Command Arms Accessories pistol Grip (which looks nice, and feels even better which is the most important!).

I also have the Magpul Advanced Trigger guard coming from ebay (live in MN so this is important), and a Command Arms Accessories foregrip coming from ebay as well.

I am also wondering if you have any suggestions of other things to get to add to it? I do want the Eotech Red Dot, but that is going to be later on when I get some change saved for that (the AR and that in one month would be a little much).

Comment

• double post
            Last edited by 952melvin; 11-01-2009, 02:42 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

• Originally posted by 952melvin View Post
              I am also wondering if you have any suggestions of other things to get to add to it?
              Every rifle needs a sling, sights, and magazines.
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                Every rifle needs a sling, sights, and magazines. + weaponlight and ammo
                Fixed it for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                  Fixed it for you.

San Antonio
                  sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I just ordered some Magpull mags and some 5.56mm ammo that I can use now and then swap over once I order my DD X4.

I understand that in a 5.56 chamber a 5.56 cartridge will be more accurate than using a .223 round.
                    Since most of the AR's I've seen are 5.56 NATO why is it so hard to find ammo actually designed for 5.56 only? Everyone I find says 223/5.56, which basically means its a .223 round, right?

I understand the difference between the two rounds.
                    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

• Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                      I understand that in a 5.56 chamber a 5.56 cartridge will be more accurate than using a .223 round.
                      I cannot verify this. My own personal results show that a non-match .223 has about the same accuracy out of a 5.56 chamber as a true 5.56. However I will say that in my experiences a .223 round will be more accurate out of a .223 chamber as opposed to a 5.56 chamber. We also need to consider the match ammo types that are generally available in .223 Rem as opposed to 5.56 NATO, handloads aside.

Originally posted by leesrt
                      Since most of the AR's I've seen are 5.56 NATO why is it so hard to find ammo actually designed for 5.56 only? Everyone I find says 223/5.56, which basically means its a .223 round, right?

I understand the difference between the two rounds.
                      OK, I am a bit confused? You ask if .223 is basically 5.56, then the next line you say that you understand the difference in the rounds. Not sure how to answer this question without a long explanation covering it all. Maybe you can clarify what you are asking.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
                        I cannot verify this. My own personal results show that a non-match .223 has about the same accuracy out of a 5.56 chamber as a true 5.56. However I will say that in my experiences a .223 round will be more accurate out of a .223 chamber as opposed to a 5.56 chamber. We also need to consider the match ammo types that are generally available in .223 Rem as opposed to 5.56 NATO, handloads aside.

OK, I am a bit confused? You ask if .223 is basically 5.56, then the next line you say that you understand the difference in the rounds. Not sure how to answer this question without a long explanation covering it all. Maybe you can clarify what you are asking.
                        What I'm saying is if the ammo says its 223/5.56 it basically means its a 223 because a 5.56 round shouldn't be fired in a 223 chamber. Right?

If its a true 5.56 round it won't have the 223 in the name and often has a warning to not use in 223 chambers.

I guess my question is what 223 55 grain rounds have proven accurate in a 5.56 chamber.
                        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

What I'm saying is if the ammo says its 223/5.56 it basically means its a 223 because a 5.56 round shouldn't be fired in a 223 chamber. Right?

If its a true 5.56 round it won't have the 223 in the name and often has a warning to not use in 223 chambers.

I guess my question is what 223 55 grain rounds have proven accurate in a 5.56 chamber.
                          .223 can used safely in a 5.56. 5.56 cannot be safely used in a .223 because of the minute diffence in the chamber. Just enough diffence that head pressures can get out of hand.
                          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• New Colt FCG pins??

Has anyone else heard references to Colt 6920's being machined with the Mil-spec FCG pins? If this is fact, how recently did it start?

Comment

To expand on what Zeplin mentions, the 5.56 has about 2X the difference in the leade (throat) spacing vs the .223. The shorter leade of the .223 chamber will cause much higher pressure from the 5.56 being shot out of the .223 chamber, which can cause issues. Even though the 5.56 and .223 casing is virtually identical in the outside dimensions of the case, there are often differences in casing thickness and differing loads for NATO rounds.

So having said that, a 5.56 will generally shoot out of a .223 but it is NOT suggested.

As for your question about what .223 55 grain rounds are accurate out of a 5.56 chamber, you are leaving out a couple of key variables, such as bullet type / load, and second what type of barrel / twist are we talking about? Also what do you define as "accurate"? Is this for a precision type of semi-auto gas gun, or is it for a "combat accurate" type of rifle / carbine? I am not trying to be a PITA but there is a huge difference in a combat type M4 and an AR/M4 that falls into an SPR/Precision rifle category. I would guess you are talking about the former since we are talking about the DDXV.

I will state as a generalization from my own experience, a 1:7 twist barrel will shoot a 55 grain pretty accurately from a quality barrel but it will prefer a 75-77 grain round, match ammo is always better no matter. You would more than likely get better performance from a 1:9 to 1:8.5 barrel shooting 55 grain ammo.

I will give an example that from a very good 18" SS 1:7 match type of barrel, shooting 55 grain Federal TRU HI SHOK SP ammo, I am achieving 1 MOA of accuracy. With 75gr Hornady TAP and 75gr Black Hills (match type) ammo I am getting under .5 to .75 MOA with one 4 round group under .5MOA. I am curious to shoot the new 77gr Black Hills ammo.

Since you mention the DDXV, I will say that I run a 16" 4150, chrome lined, 1:7 DD barrel (NON-Hammer forged) on one of my rifles. With the 55gr Federal TRU, I get around 2 MOA accuracy, which is well within what I would consider acceptable for a CQB / battle carbine set up.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanguard2279 View Post
                                Has anyone else heard references to Colt 6920's being machined with the Mil-spec FCG pins? If this is fact, how recently did it start?
                                All current production 6920's are using the .155 pins. This started around the time of the 6940 release. The 6920 serial number range was around 50K. I would say if you are looking in the 48K - 53K serial number range, it is best to check.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7753 users online. 374 members and 7379 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X