300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR15 must haves!

I got an M4 for christmas a few years ago and am planning on getting certified with it whenever I choose a department to join. What are some must have's accessories and or set-ups for some of you that you like having on your rifles? Also how many magazines do you usually carry with you for duty or home defense? Thanks for any input.

a weapon mounted light, sling and good mags.

Comment

Weapon mounted light w/ pressure switch, sling( you will try many before choosing one), good mags, and an optic. I use and eo-tech and love it . Add a flip up rear sight that can be used w/ the optic or by it self. Be sure to sight everything in together

Comment

Originally posted by nkpd44 View Post
        +1 The only things you need. Like they say: Iron sights will rule world.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Ammo. Lots of it.

Seriously though, +2 on the light, sling, and good mags. I have two 30rd mags coupled on the weapon and have two 20rd mags in my tac vest, which will be replaced soon with 30rds.

An optic is nice to have, but is very far from a necessity. It should probably be at the bottom of your list, IMO.

As for lights, Pentagon makes good lights for a fair price. If you're on a budget, a Surefire G2 w/ flashlight holder will get you going for about $60.00. That's what I currently have, but am buying an LED based light for Christmas (probably a TLR-1). But for now, my G2 works great.

Comment

Optics

The older (and probably more seasoned) you get, the more you'll want optics on your patrol/entry rifle.

My choice is the Trijicon ACOG. Works well for CQB and outdoor scenes. I go with only 1.5 magnification for close-in work.

Iron sights are great, but almost impossible to see in twilight or dark. And that's when most of my callouts have been. In the twilight, or inside some dimly lit POS meth trailer house.

The ACOG adjusts to available light without any action of the shooter. And there's no battery to go bad when you most need it.

Learn to shoot on iron sights. Then, choose the optic that works for you, and train with it until it becomes second nature.

Comment

Originally posted by nkpd44 View Post
              That's all you really need. On mine, I also have an EOTech and a verticle handle, but I consider both of those luxury items, rather than necessities. I think an electronic sight, while nice to have, helps poor shots more than it does those who are already good shots and if one wasn't issued to me, I wouldn't buy one.

I would rate them as:

1. Good magazines, and several of them.
              2. Sling (it's the rifle's holster)
              3. Light (Don't think you have to go overboard price wise, 70 lumens is 70 lumens, the expensive ones just take a little more abuse)
              4. electronic sight
              5. forearm grip (personal preference, here. I happen to like it a lot).

Comment

I also recommend optics, but only after you learn to shoot well on iron.

I disagree with the suggestion that optics are for poor shooters. Nothing could be farther from reality! Highly proficient shooters in tactical law enforcement and the military use optics on their rifles to conduct business, even as we speak.

A good quality optic device make a good rifle shooter even better, and target acquisition is speedier. And in law enforcement, consistently hitting the intended target is mandatory. Having been in several hairy situations (all at night) where I couldn't see my iron sights, my Trij Reflex made the difference between immediate target acquisition as opposed to waiting for better illumination.

Read all the OPINIONS given here, and then make up your own mind what works for you. Remember, you may ask a hundred people and get 150 OPINIONS.
                Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

We were issued ours. Stock with a sling. They worked well. If the gun is bouncing around on patrol, do you trust a scope to be sighted in when needed?

I carried 4 loaded mags, and spare ammo to boot.
                  "Don't bother to run, you will only go to jail tired!"

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                    +1 The only things you need. Like they say: Iron sights will rule world.

TGY
                    +2
                    "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Look through this thread:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75882

Read through it as there is a lot of good information pertaining to "toys".

In short, ask your fellow officers what they recommend. I'm not a LEO yet, but I would imagine a sling and light would be the most important (as already stated). But with a light, IMHO, you need a foregrip.

After training with your ironsights (and making sure they are zeroed) and you want to throw on a optic, look into AimPoint or EOTech brands. I'm a fan of the Trijicon ACOG, but it's magnified and might not be ideal for your "mission" or your AO. I personally feel the Trijicon Reflex, while looking cool, is a waste as the red dot easily washes out in certain conditions.

Good luck.
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

My Trij Reflex has an amber triangle, and I never had it wash out in any lighting situation. And, as a real LEO, I've used it in real LE operations.

But you're entitled to your own opinion.
                        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Eotech is a good option...master the use of irons for fundamentals but the holosights are way faster for target acquisition and enable you to keep both eyes open. My SWAT team makes us qual on irons and on Eotechs.

Magpul makes some OUTSTANDING mags. this should be your 1st investment. You don't want your mags to take a dump on you when you need them the most. They are only 18 bucks a piece.

A good sling and a decent light system and you'll be good to go.
                          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                            My Trij Reflex has an amber triangle, and I never had it wash out in any lighting situation. And, as a real LEO, I've used it in real LE operations.

But you're entitled to your own opinion.
                            +1 on Trijicon Reflex. Mine's got an amber dot and it doesn't "wash out" either. No worries about batteries and in low light situations, they're the fastest shooting optics around (with both eyes open).
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

EOtech or Aimpoint with BUIS.
                              People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4287 users online. 308 members and 3979 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X