300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further Ballistic/Long-gun Question

Last edited by kruwl; 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM.

I primarily use a Winchester 670, in .30-06, as my deer hunting rifle. Why did I get that caliber, rather than a .308? Well, best answer is that's what my father, and his father used.

I don't think ammo availabilty will ever be an issue with either. And the cost per round is close enough that is not much of a factor either.

Frankly, as far as ballistics go, I've never seen any proof that one is better than the other. They claim the .30-06 is a bit more effective at dropping large game, and the .308 has slightly less recoil, but I've shot both, and really couldn't tell much difference with the limited time with my buddy's .308.

One advantage to the .308 cal. is you get a short-action rifle, which may be slightly lighter.

Good luck with the Rem 700 series. A hunting buddy of mine has a Rem. 700 7mm Mag., with black synthetic stock and Leupold glass on top. It's a fine piece, even if it's likely overkill for the small whitetail that run around here.
    Last edited by FarmTruk; 11-10-2007, 11:27 PM.

Comment

+1. both are great rounds. I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06. Love it. Mainly like farm, my grandfather used one and I followed.
      "Do not be deceived:Bad company corrupts good morals."
      1 Corinthians 15:

You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool

Comment

Originally posted by txleo-3 View Post
        +1. both are great rounds. I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06. Love it. Mainly like farm, my grandfather used one and I followed.
        I prefer .308, because my hunting rifle and battle rifle can typically use the same ammo.

It was nice, back in the day when milsurp 7.62 NATO ammo wasn't $.50/pop. Traditionally, .308 has always been the popular military sniper cartridge. Realistically, performance between .308 and 30.06 is almost identical and either will kill anything big enough to die (on mainland North America).

Minor differences:

30.06 can be loaded a little bit hotter and shoot slightly heavier bullets.

.308 can be more accurate based on the properties of the cartridge and a possibly shorter, more rigid action.

In most cases, 7.62 NATO ammo can be used in .308 rifles (and vice versa). I've never had a problem shooting .308 in a military rifle. However, sometimes my tight little bolt rifle doesn't want to close it's breech fully on 7.62 cartridges that are on the long end of the cartridge specification. I don't force 'em... I just save 'em for the FAL.
        "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Not that much difference, really. An 06 will handle a heavier bullet (200 gr.) better than a .308, but up to 160 gr. a .308 will outperform an 06...I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but look at the loading manuals.

I'd get a .308 because brass is more avaiable, and because it has a shorter action, making it stiffer and in theory, a bit more accurate.

I've got both, and love both. But I don't hunt large stuff that needs anything over 175 gr. and a .308 does fine with that, which is the preferred match bullet, I think.
          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

I would go .308.

After this little "skirmish" is over, the MilSurp will probably flow again.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I would go .308 simply because of the number of different types of ammo and uses that are available for it.
              Col. Jeff Cooper said, “One is no more armed because he possesses a pistol than he is a musician because he owns a piano”.

Comment

You are probably gonna want a .308 or .300win mag. But I really want a Remington M24A3 SWS .338 lapua mag. I just gotta convince the brass.

Its basically a 700 on PCP and the .338 lapua is an outstanding long range round thats not going anywhere. You just gotta remember to crack the windows of all the cars near you when you fire it.

Also look at the 6.5 grendel its pretty cool too. I shot both and have been trying to get them ever since.
                Last edited by 1146; 11-16-2007, 01:32 AM. Reason: I spell like a 3rd grader

Comment

An 06 will handle a heavier bullet (200 gr.) better than a .308, but up to 160 gr. a .308 will outperform an 06.
                  ROT is going to be a bigger factor in which rifle will shoot the heavier bullet more accurately than the caliber itself.

There's is almost no difference in ballistics between .308 and -06 until you get out past 500 yards. Past 500 yards using the same weight bullet you're going to see roughly 11% more drop in the .308.

and because it has a shorter action, making it stiffer and in theory, a bit more accurate.
                  What he said.
                  If you're going to shoot past 500 yards regularly then go with the -06. Otherwise, there is no reason to go to a long action. Why sacrifice the torsional rigidity if it's not needed?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3682 users online. 201 members and 3481 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X