300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up Sight opinions wanted

I have been searching for a good, quality back up sight system for my "work" carbine. I am using the Eotech sight as a primary optic. Came across this one today:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=65229687

It fits the bill as to what I am looking for - an elevation adjustable rear that stays "out of the way" unless it is needed. The price seems a little steep, but this is the closest that I have found to my "ideal system."

Any one w/ advice or especially experience with this set up is appreciated.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Great system.

I currently have this set up w/ an eotech on my patrol rifle and love it. There is nothing to flip up, making transitioning to iron sites effortless. It is nice to be able to take a close in shot using the eotech, then the very next shot be shooting at a 100 yards using the iron sites w/ perfect cowitness. I know that they are a bit pricy, but I believe they are well worth the extra $$$.
    Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

I would say that A fixed rear buis is a must. I have an LMT rear buis on my M4 with an aimpoint on the rail and it is fantastic. I find that the flip up type sights really work best with an optic like an ACOG or similar. Optic of that type require a folding sight due to thier placement.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
        It fits the bill as to what I am looking for - an elevation adjustable rear that stays "out of the way" unless it is needed. The price seems a little steep, but this is the closest that I have found to my "ideal system."
        First I have to ask why you need the elevation adjustment on a BUIS? The avearge LEO engagement distance for RIFLE is under 75 yards. Rarely to non-Sniper LEO's take a shot farther than 100, and almost never more than 300. With a 200 yard BZO you are going to be +/- 3" from POA out to 300 yards. This is MORE than accurate enough for a BUIS since if you do your part you should still be able to make a headshot without adjustment.

I have a LMT BUIS that allows for elevation adjustment. Then only reason I did it is because I had the thought that I would like to take the Aimpoint off and shoot irons to 500 for "fun". In reality I have a 20" A2 that I can do that with, without messing with my duty rifle. Soon the LMT will get pulled off the duty rig and replaced with a LaRue BUIS.

I believe in fixed BUIS, but I don't think they need to be the A2 adjustable style.

To answer your question, I have not heard anything bad about the Dominator Rail.

I DO prefer to have some type of quick release for my optic so I can get it off the weapon should it become occluded.
        Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 10-22-2007, 08:34 AM.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I have FF'd the Larue but I am comfortabe with the familiarity of the LMT. My Carbine is almost an exact copy of my former "work" gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
            First I have to ask why you need the elevation adjustment on a BUIS?

THe single biggest reason is this:

Understanding that most LEO shots will be under 100 yards, I went out to achieve a 100yd zero on my rifle. I put the Eotech dead nuts at 50 yards. When I use the GG&G flip up rear that I have, In order to get the rounds centered on target, I had to turn the Front sight post up (move impact of round down) so much that almost the entire base of the FSP is above the Front sight base tower. It makes me nervous - like the posibillity of loosing zero, or the sight getting hit is greater. The detent no longer provides significant pressure against the bottom of the front sight post.

Bottom line is this:

1. Get an elevation adjustable backup so I can turn down the FSP into the sight tower.

2. Get a FSP that is taller than the factory one installed one on the Busmaster.

I have a LMT BUIS that allows for elevation adjustment. Then only reason I did it is because I had the thought that I would like to take the Aimpoint off and shoot irons to 500 for "fun".
            Reason # 2 I want an elevation rear, however, I do always have the option of removing the EoTech, and using the factory carrying handle. As a former Jarhead myself, I like to "stay in practice."

I DO prefer to have some type of quick release for my optic so I can get it off the weapon should it become occluded.
            I went with the GG&G quick release for the EoTech. The lever is easier to manipulate than the ARMS type levers, and it does not increase the mounted height of the sight. And it has a (tested) repeatable zero.
            Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
            --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I like flips

I like flips over co-witnessing fixed sights. I prefer the window to be free of obstables unless I actually need the iron sights.

I like the Matech

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUIS-for-Colt-st...QQcmdZViewItem

When buying from un trusted sources with AR tactical stuff, be carefull you are getting OEM and not stuff made for Airsoft guns.
              Last edited by David Hineline; 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                I like flips over co-witnessing fixed sights. I prefer the window to be free of obstables unless I actually need the iron sights.
                I too prefer my Sight Window to be free of all else when using my aimpoint. Thats why I prefer flip ups.........

My GG&G flip up co-witness's great through my aimpoint. Only takes a second to spring it into action and is out of the way giving me a open window while engaging targets.
                There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                  Bottom line is this:

1. Get an elevation adjustable backup so I can turn down the FSP into the sight tower.

2. Get a FSP that is taller than the factory one installed one on the Busmaster.
                  Go with option #2. If you didn't and you went with A2 type BUIS like the LMT then your elevation marks on the sight would be off.

I run the 50/200 yard zero on my Aimpoint and BUIS. This allows me to hit immediately.

For those that say it only takes a second to flip up your sights, I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you shoulder the rifle to take a shot and realize your optic decided to crap out on you.

You have to remember that in Law Enforcement you are not going to have light machineguns or a squad covering you. You cannot afford to "sling lead". You have to provide aimed fire on demand. If the demand is NOW and your sights are down, then you may not get to go home. You just better hope the other guys sucks and isn't a combat vet who has gone off his rocker but still remembers what it's like to fight.

I also have a very high standard of duribility that I apply to my "social" rifles. If I cant slam it against a tree or throw it across the parking lot and have it still work, it dosent belong on my rifle. I haven't seen many folding sights that can take that kind of punishment. There is no backup to your BUIS. It had better work.

That's just my view. At the end of the day it's not my butt on the line, and you aren't providing fire to cover MY movement. Do what you think suits your mission best. Just make sure that you are doing what suits your mission, not what's "cool", "easy" or "cheap".

BTW, with the 50/200 zero I had no problems at our last 3-gun hitting small steel plates from 100-300 yards.
                  Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 10-22-2007, 06:06 PM.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2909 users online. 211 members and 2698 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X