HK P2000 or SW M&P

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK P2000 or SW M&P

OK I dont want to start a vs. thread. But im torn between the 2. My dept allows its officers to have 2 backup/off-duty firearms. So my duty is a Glock 22, backup is a Glock 27 (both .40 cal) while on my tour.

Im now looking into an off duty weapon in 9mm (full or compact). Its between the HK P2000(sk) w/LEM or the SW M&P(c) 9mm. If any LEOs or gun fanatics shot either the 2, what would you recommend? Yes I know this is a preference question but I just want feedback, information and possibly opinions.

Edit: People who are offended by other people's opinion on this topic, dont start anything.
    Last edited by ChgoPaintball; 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM.

Since you want opinions, here you go.

Not a fan of 9mm. Prefer .45, but if I were you I would buy either weapon in 40 as well. Keep everything the same/simple.

I have a very strong dis-like of all Smith autos. (But will bet my life on their revolvers.)

I have not fired the P2000, but if the LEM trigger on it is anything like the one on my USP 45, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I am sure others with more specific info will be alonng soon...
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I own the M&P40c. It's really a great shooting gun. The trigger has some goofy overtravel that I'm still getting used to, but it hasn't affected accuracy, just feels funny while dry firing.

Comment

The trigger pull on the H&K 2000 is a little long, but other than that its a good weapon.
        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Thank you thank you. More info/ opinions the better.

Someone told me there is a firing range that "rents" handguns for about an hour to fire them. I have to find the place and give it a try.

I was thinking about keeping it all simple by buying all my firearms .40 cal.

Comment

P2000 all the way...

Comment

I was issued the P2000 over 2 years ago and have put it through hell, literally. Never had a single problem, not even one jam with it. Haven't fired the S&W, but if I had to choose sight unseen between a H&K and a S&W semi-auto, I'd choose the H&K any day of the week. By the way, get the .40...
              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

i sat down long and hard and I decided .40 Why, because my dept uses. My duty uses it. Its just logic there.

Called my buddy. He told me the range that lets you rent so Im going to see if i can go tomorrow to give these 2 beasts a try and then I will decide. Until i do go, Im liking the opinions, ideas and feedback.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                  The trigger pull on the H&K 2000 is a little long, but other than that its a good weapon.
                  +1 on the H&K LEM trigger. I don't have a P2000, but I do own and have carried extensively the full sized USP .45 and compact .40 (both with LEM triggers). Although they're both good, serviceable weapons, my first question would be, 'Why not just carry your Glock Model 27 as an off-duty weapon, as well as your back-up?' It's smaller than the S&W and no larger than the P2000sk, has a more potent (.40 S&W) caliber, works exactly like your primary duty weapon (Glock Model 22) and you don't need to buy another pistol unless you just want to (in which case go ahead!).
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I haven't shot the S&W, but I own a P2000 LEM and I love it!!!!

If I had time, I would explain my reasoning, but I have to run. I thought I would just let you know that the H&K is an excellent firearm. You can't go wrong with it.

Comment

I've shot both. Save your money and get the M&P, it works for duty just fine without paying a premium for the name HK roll marked on the slide.
                      People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                        +1 on the H&K LEM trigger. I don't have a P2000, but I do own and have carried extensively the full sized USP .45 and compact .40 (both with LEM triggers). Although they're both good, serviceable weapons, my first question would be, 'Why not just carry your Glock Model 27 as an off-duty weapon, as well as your back-up?' It's smaller than the S&W and no larger than the P2000sk, has a more potent (.40 S&W) caliber, works exactly like your primary duty weapon (Glock Model 22) and you don't need to buy another pistol unless you just want to (in which case go ahead!).
                        Not a fan of Glocks to be honest with you. I was issued the G-22 and I bought the G-27 for the idea I can use the same magazines in case everything hits the fan. If you know what I mean.

Im deciding between these 2 because I want one to call my "own". lol.

Comment

They're both excellent guns. If you're open to suggestion, today I just shot my new Sig-Sauer P239 in .40 S&W for the first time. It's a keeper! Very compact, accurate and recoil is very manageable. The gun is a single stack, with a 7+1 capacity, so it holds a few less rounds than the H&K or Smith, but it's a very comfortable grip and very concealable. The D/A is about 7 lbs and it has a 4 lb trigger that's very clean. Worth a look, if you're interested. Good luck with your decision!
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                            They're both excellent guns. If you're open to suggestion, today I just shot my new Sig-Sauer P239 in .40 S&W for the first time. It's a keeper! Very compact, accurate and recoil is very manageable. The gun is a single stack, with a 7+1 capacity, so it holds a few less rounds than the H&K or Smith, but it's a very comfortable grip and very concealable. The D/A is about 7 lbs and it has a 4 lb trigger that's very clean. Worth a look, if you're interested. Good luck with your decision!
                            According to Sig's website that's not quite correct. On a DA/SA the DA is listed at 10lbs and the SA is lited at 4.5lbs. The DAK, their version of a DAO pistol is listed at 7lbs.

I agree with pulicords that the P239 is worth a look.
                            Pros:
                            1. It is accurate for a gun its size.
                            2. It is very reliable.
                            3. It is available in 9mm, 357 SIG and 40 S&W.
                            4. It is somewhat modular, you can convert a DAK to DA/SA or vice versa.
                            Cons:
                            1. Mag only holds 10-7 depending on caliber.
                            2. It is not totallly ambidexterous like the P2000.

Comment

I confess that I didn't weigh trigger, but it felt about 7 lbs and is very smooth. I've shot the DAK series P239 and I found the trigger to be heavier than the LEM series H&Ks I currently own and others that I've shot. I'm not disparaging H&Ks, but the P239 is sure worth a look and I wouldn't discount it due to a 8 or 9 (basic) round capacity vs 11. The grip is very comfortable!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9258 users online. 287 members and 8971 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X