300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed strips for real?

Has anybody ever used a speed strip for real in live combat? I’ve never had any experience with them being an auto guy, but it just seems that with your fine motor skills diminished, it would be very difficult to use. It actually seems like a dump pouch would be a little easer because you could put a couple extra in there incase you fat finger it and loose some or something. Any combat experience with them?

Ok, first thing is I have never used speed strips in combat but I do own and practice with them, for use in my S&W 640 and Model 10.

My experience, using them in practice indicates that while the speed at which they can be used diminishes as fine motor skills de-crease, they are still easier to handle then juggling loose rounds in your hand while trying to load a revolver. It's simple with the speed strip you don't have to maintain a hold on several slippery metal cases, just 1 rubber strip, and the speed strip is also designed so that 2 bullets line up with the available charging holes at the same time.

If you do inist on carrying your rounds loose, then try one of many products like this that are available.

Forti Fors Bona

Comment

Isn’t that thing in the link a dump pouch? I never knew that speed strips could load 2 rounds at a time, that’s pretty cool. Just to clarify I’m an auto guy, so you don’t have to worry about me carrying loose ammo. I was just wondering if anybody has used these in a fight.

Comment

Isn’t that thing in the link a dump pouch?
        Nope the item pictured is nothing more than a covered version of a belt slide that carries individual bullets in loops, just like a cowboy style gun belt. When you use this style of ammo carrier, you can pinch two rounds between your thumb and trigger finger, most of the time both rounds will line up with a charging hole in the cylinder.

Now here is a dump pouch.

The type pouch pictured, holds six loose rounds, and is carried sop that the flap is facing down. To use it you simply cup your hand underneath the pouch and thumb the flap open "DUMPING" six loose rounds into your palm.
        *Note: The dump pouch pictured has a speed strip protruding out of it*
        Forti Fors Bona

Comment

As I used to carry a BRT (Big Round Thing), I trained hard with a Bianchi product before the rubber speed strips. This is a metal strip with 6 small spring clips, that holds 6 rounds. While I was never in a shootout, I shot IPSC matches with this combo, and it was better than anything except speedloaders. (They were too bulky and spoiled the drape of my suit.)
          Last edited by Sleuth; 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I never think of speed strips as fast reloading devices. The fastest reloader for a revolver is another revolver.
            They are convenient ways to carry more ammo and lie flat in your clothing. I sometimes use a stripper clip for the SKS for this. Works great.

Comment

I like speed loaders for revolvers, speed strips are too slow when you are under stress, I have only used them in range/timed stress fire scenarios but wouldn't want to risk my life to them.
              the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

That's Jerry Miculek. He is the greatest revolver shooter who ever lived. Yeah, if I had his skill I wouldnt need much more.

Comment

Nope, never used Speed Strips in combat, just in lots of practice. As with anything, the more drills you do with it, the better results you'll have if you ever need 'em "for real." The pressure of timed drills or even competition won't be anything like a real fire fight, but it's the best experience you can get without being up against a "target" who is trying to kill you.
                  Besides the top-load/bottom-empty dump pouches, there were some that had just one flap. The separated pouches were each "hinged" at the bottom so they could tip over for emptying when their flaps were unsnapped. I had some back in my AF SP days that were made by/for S&W. They had inserts to keep the pouches rigid, and each half could hold six rounds in Speed Strips. Those carried the rounds horizontally, and the tab on the end of the Speed Strip helped get all six out quickly.
                  The type shown on the dscasturias page were kind of handy for plainclothes wear, and would also accommodate a Speed Strip, since the rims of the rounds were above the leather pouch. No dumping involved; just pull all six out en bloc, and start loading.
                  Even with round speedloaders on a duty belt, Speed Strips are handy for stashing away another dozen or more rounds. They're not as fast as swapping out a magazine, not even as fast as cylindrical speedloaders, but I never encountered any dropping or fumbling problems when using them on the range.

And as an aside to any "auto snobs" who might be snickering over this thread: "The Earth isn't flat. Your gun shouldn't be, either."
                  --
                  Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Never in combat, love them for concealed carry though. I love my Jframe but speedloaders are a pain in the butt to stash and those speed strips are a life saver. I practice with them (2 shot reload drills mostly) but have never had to test my practice out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4171 users online. 234 members and 3937 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X