glock longevity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glock longevity

I currently own a glock 19 and shoot about 200rds/month with it. Do glocks have the capabilty to last through thousands of rounds or is it somthing that eventually wears out and needs to be replaced, like a car. I don't have this issue with my AK's but I don't know about the durability of glocks.
    I can't believe I do this for free!

According to the instructor at the Glock Armorer's course, there's one of the first Glock 17's to enter the U.S. at a shooting range in Los Angeles, California that had fired a documented 1 million rounds with the only part needing to be replaced was a trigger return spring. Of course anything made by imperfect men isn't itself going to be perfect and mechanical things will wear and/or break over a period of time. I don't think that your Glock 19 will wear out any faster than your AK's will.

I've put over 25,000 rounds through my Glock 22 and haven't had to replace any parts on it in the 11 years I've had it. Glock does recommend a complete strip down cleaning and inspection once a year by a certified Glock Armorer. Most of the time I feel like the repairman on the old Maytag appliance commercials...bored because the Glocks don't tend to need repairs that often.

Comment

Glocks

The 9mm Glocks will last through Hundreds of thousands of rounds. The bigger calibers such as the 40 and 45acp tend to cause more wear on the guns than the guns original design for the first Model 17. I have gone from being a big time glock fan to enjoying the Springfield XD's and our duty weapon the Smith M&P's but they are new kids on the block and havent had the time on the market as the Glocks have had. For me they both just shoot better but it's hard to argue the reliability of the Glocks. I have about 4k rounds out of my off duty G27 with no malfunctions.
      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Ive got a couple thousand rounds through my G22 and recently had it looked over by a Glock armorer who said that the only thing that needed to be replaced was the retention spring, the gun is only 5 years old so i dont know if thats the norm or not...
        In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

My first duty gun was a Glock 21 that I purchased used. I had our department armorer go over the gun when I bought it and it got a clean bill of health. I personally put between 8000 and 10000 rounds over a period of 10 years before picking up my current Glock 22. Over the 10 years I had it, I only had to replace a magazine. My old Glock 21 now has a third owner who continues to put rounds through it without complications. I've had the Glock 22 for a few years now, again with no problems.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

There are few things in this world that I would trust to outlast me when abused. One of the things that would make the list though would be a Glock 9mm. Put as much ammo down that tube as you can get your hands on and don't look back.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro View Post
              I currently own a glock 19 and shoot about 200rds/month with it. Do glocks have the capabilty to last through thousands of rounds or is it somthing that eventually wears out and needs to be replaced, like a car. I don't have this issue with my AK's but I don't know about the durability of glocks.
              I would hazard a guess that if there in one pistol in the world more durable than a 9mm Glock 19, it would only be a 9mm Glock 17.

Comment

ok, glock does enjoy a record for great reliability, however... the circile i hang out in has a saying. "glocks never break, untill they do..." check this out

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Comment

Yes, I've read that and honestly have never been a fan of Glocks but their 9mm's do have a fantastic service record. 40 and 45, not so much so.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by spiff2022 View Post
                    ok, glock does enjoy a record for great reliability, however... the circile i hang out in has a saying. "glocks never break, untill they do..." check this out

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
                    I believe that #6 in thegunzone.com report is telling, KB's usually occur while using commercially manufactured personally reloaded ammunition. I have seen KB's occur in almost every brand and type of pistol and revolver manufactured over the years. I've had a KB with a 1st generation Glock 17 while shooting reloaded ammunition. The case mouth reptured on a Remington UMC case, blew the floor plate and contents of the magazine onto the ground and imbedded a small piece of shrapnel into the polymer body of the magazine. The pistol itself, however, was unaffected.

I stopped reloading several years ago but still shoot some reloaded ammunition I have on hand. I've never experienced another KB since that one and I started inspecting cases before I'd load them after that too for a number of years before I stopped reloading. I believe that good quality ammunition and proper maintenance will keep the KB beast from rearing it's ugly head the vast majority of the time.

Comment

I wasn’t trying to say Glocks are particularly subject to kb’s, vice other makes. All I was trying to say is that everything can break. There are a lot of Glockers that would say that Glocks NEVER break, but there are a lot who are more reasonable. I’m not trying to start a “Glock vs. (insert your favorite gun here)” debate. Glocks are not my cup of tea, but if you like ‘em have at it!

Comment

I have had my current Glock 21 for about 10 years now.I ahve put I don't know how many thousands of rounds through it.I ahve yet to have any problems.I still have the original mags and they are stiff functional with no problems,but i have been considering getting new mags for preventative maintenance.
                        As a matter of fact back on this past Thursday i just Qualified again with this pistol and yesterday I put 100 rounds through it,still not a single malfunction.
                        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

My Glock 17 duty gun (and as of a year ago...part time ccw gun)..had a problem. I bought the gun in 1989 and was required to put a NY trigger in it as per my dept.'s policy back when I worked for a SoCal sheriff's office that allowed us to carry a personally owned duty weapon.

Last year I was carrying it with a "clipdraw" and "safetyblok" inside the trigger housing to avoid accidents while carrying it that way. On routine cleaning, I discovered the back pressure of the trigger block was causing the pistol to reease the firing pin...good thing I discovered this with the gun unloaded!

The pressure from behind the trigger was firing the gun. It was a miracle I didn't shoot myself while carrying it!

Glock and safetyblok both said it was a very unusual thing...hmmm I don't know...but the pistol needs to go back to Glock for service.

Other than that...my original 17 round mags are all cracked and un-usable...but that is due to age and having them loaded up/fired from... for 18/19 years.

That said...I still carry Glock...and my primary ccw gun is a Glock 23 these days.

Comment

My Glock 22 blew up in the academy. Its was was due to cheap practice ammo and the unsupported chamber. You don't have that issue with duty ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by spiff2022 View Post
                              I wasn’t trying to say Glocks are particularly subject to kb’s, vice other makes. All I was trying to say is that everything can break. There are a lot of Glockers that would say that Glocks NEVER break, but there are a lot who are more reasonable. I’m not trying to start a “Glock vs. (insert your favorite gun here)” debate. Glocks are not my cup of tea, but if you like ‘em have at it!
                              No, anythng mechanical can break. In one academy class I went through, fifty of us had Glock 17's and we all put about 4500 rounds through those fifty guns. I think we had one gun go down during that class.

I had gone through a similiar academy a few years before where again, there were fifty of us, and we were all issued Smith and Wesson revolvers, and shot about 3000 rounds. At least five or six of those revolvers went down during that class at some point and had to be taken to the armorer.

(But, those Smiths were tack drivers compared to the Glocks, so you never get something for nothing).

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5229 users online. 196 members and 5033 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X