300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 threads in one

Didnt want to start 2 different threads, so I'll ask both questions in here.

Which do you think is the better ALL AROUND bullet: 7.62x39 or 5.45x39?

and

What guns would you have/ do you have for SHTF?

All replies are appreciated!

The most common is 5.56 x 45 which is almost interchangeable with .223 rem minus slight differences in the chambering, cases, and psi (if going for long term durability with both cartridges try 223 Wylde). You are not going to find too much 7.62 x 39 all around guns. Maybe an AK but I would not consider that an all around gun, more of a spray and pray. If you want the heavier bullet go for 7.62 x 51 aka .308 win.
    Last edited by luckydog; 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Depends on what you use it for.

For tactical sniper use, a .30 cal such as the .308 is commonly used. For general patrol rifle work, the .223/5.56 is more common.

Comment

This is funny... Basically you're asking which to get, the AK-47 or the AK-74. You might be disappointed to hear, but the AK is really dumped on around here. Not by me, or a couple others, but the "crowd" seems to poo-poo on one of the greatest rifles ever created.

If I wanted to just "have" a rifle around "just in case", and didn't want to ever shoot it, clean it, or even THINK about it, the AK is perfect. Just soak it in cosmoline (grease) and stick it in the back of your closet. Heck, you could even load up a few magazines and just leave them loaded for a decade or three and they'll still work just fine if you ever needed it.

For this, I'd choose a -47. I like the 7.62X39.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, and to answer your actual questions, and not just comment on your post:

I think the heavier 7.62X39 is the better "all around" bullet for general use. It penetrates quite nicely and defeats barriers like a champ.

I have a LOT. ARs, AKs, bolt .308, shotguns, Glocks, 1911s, LOTS of ammo for the above, water, food, equipment, etc... I'm something of a packrat, and like to "buy in bulk."
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5951 users online. 316 members and 5635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X