300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optics for Patrol Rifle

My department has just purchased patrol rifles for the officers. On these we are allowed to put any optics we would like. I'm trying to find the best optic to use. As far as my own proficiency I've qualified with iron sites, but I always have problems.

so far I've been looking at EOTech 511 Red dot holographic.

Any other suggestions?

thanks
    Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on ICE!

Eotech or a Aimpoint M-68 variation...

with a flip up backup sight.
    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Love my EO Tech. Though to be honest, it's the only sight I have experience with.

I think a backup sight is important. EO Techs shut off after a certain amount of time to save the battery. Not to mention you could lose the battery all together, or it could just break. I'm guessing it's 10-15 minutes though I've never timed it. If you aren't paying attention and it shut off, it would probably be faster to go to iron sight than turn back on the EO Tech. I routinely go up and down and the brightness buttons every five minutes or to keep mine from shutting off.

I've seen guy's from other agencies who have there rifles set up without iron sight backups. Not smart.

Comment

What's the benefit or draw back to these optics?

Thanks for the replys!

Comment

Originally posted by TPD506 View Post

Thanks for the replys!
          Love my EOTech, I tried to describe it, but they do it best...

From their website:

The holographic patterns have been designed to be instantly visible in any light, instinctive to center regardless of shooting angle, and to remain in view while sweeping the engagement zone. Reticles are designed as large, see-through patterns to achieve lightning quick reticle to target acquisition without covering or obscuring the point of aim.

The HWS employs a true Heads-Up Display that eliminates blind spots, constricted vision, or the tunnel vision associated with tubed sights. All user controls are flush to the HWS's streamline housing with no protruding knobs, battery compartments or mounting rings blocking vision at the target area. True, 2 eyes open shooting is realized. Instant threat identification is achieved by maximizing the operator's peripheral vision and ultimately gaining greater control of the engagement zone

If you turn the EOTech on by pressing the "up" button, it should stay on for 8 hours, the "down" button for 4 hours.

Comment

There is no way it stays on for 8 or even 4 hours. 30 minutes tops, maybe an hour though it seems a lot shorter at the range. I aways turn mine on with the up button. I didn't even know the down button would do it.

The major benefit is that you acquire sights on target light years faster than you do with iron sights. Aim with both eyes open instead of one.

Comment

Thanks for the replys!
              Benefit: Super fast target aquisition

Cons: Battery-powered, expensive, higher risk of failure (always have back-up iron sights)

Comment

Trijicon Reflex or Tri-power

I like Trijicon's Reflex system. It's non-magnifying, dot system doesn't rely on batteries and the tritium element should give you years of service. For use primarily under 100 yards, it's designed for use with both eyes open and offers extremely fast target acquisition. Trijicon or Leupold has a new system out called a "Tri-power" and it's also a zero magnification system that uses fiber optics, tritium and a battery for sight illumination. It looks like a winner too. For basic patrol work where you can expect to use the weapon for a variety of situations (felony vehicle stops, entries and precision work within short distances), I really believe a simple dot system like those above (which don't rely on batteries) have a lot going for them.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

which version of the EOtech are you guys using? I've seen several out there?

I haven't used this at all, so I've got some very BASIC questions. with this optic it can be used completly seperate from the iron site? just what ever the dot is marking is where the round is going to go?

will this work well for our qualification course, it's all at 100 yard shots.

I'm very new to the area of the AR optics, any help is very helpful!

Comment

Anybody know where I can pick up a new or used EOTech for sale?..

Comment

which version of the EOtech are you guys using? I've seen several out there?

I haven't used this at all, so I've got some very BASIC questions. with this optic it can be used completly seperate from the iron site? just what ever the dot is marking is where the round is going to go?

will this work well for our qualification course, it's all at 100 yard shots.

I'm very new to the area of the AR optics, any help is very helpful!

Yes, it's completely separate from the iron sights. Though when I use my iron sights on my AR, I'm looking through the EO Tech window. We have guys with them mounted on their MP5s. On the MP5s, there is a channel below the EO Tech unit for iron sights.

If you zero the the EO Tech for 100 yards it will work fine. Or zero it wherever and then shoot at 100 yards. Mine is zeroed for 25 yards but I shoot it at 100 yards so I know where I need to aim at that range.

Comment

I have the EO Tech 551. Good piece of equipment to have.......

Comment

I have the Aimpoint ML 2. Works great, 5,000 hours of battery life at low setting.

The ML 3 is newer, battery lasts for 50,000 hours. You can rig up a tandem battery pack for the ML 2 to increase battery life, I believe.

I had an EoTech, but never mounted it. It seemed like a good scope, though.

The Aimpoint is rugged and works really well. To me it seems more rugged than an EoTech plus there's that battery life thing. But you see a lot of EoTechs in film footage from Iraq, so it's apparently no problem.

Most of the guys in my outfit prefer the EoTech. I think because of the bigger screen. Also the EoTech has a 1 moa dot, surrounded by a circle, where the Aimpoint has a 4 moa dot.

I think mine used AAA batteries, but dont' remember.
                          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

I prefer the Trijicon ACOG. No batteries, no moving parts, adjusts itself to available light.

I also have a Trijicon reflex, which is a good and less expensive alternative to the ACOG.

Comment

Anybody know where I can pick up a new or used EOTech for sale?..
                              You might check out riflescopes.com. They usually have pretty good prices on optics.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3526 users online. 238 members and 3288 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X