Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USMC1371 View Post
    LMAO! "Get in da choppa." lol

Why hasn't anyone mention .50AE? Nah, just kidding...

Call me old fashion, but I prefer my Kimber 1911 (45ACP). And, as far as it having too much recoil or being "hard to fire".... Man up!

IMO: The 1911's weight balances out the recoil felt by the shooter. I've fired 9mm's that had more of a "kick" than my 1911. & with a 2.5lb trigger I can blast away good controlled pairs & double taps.

I have to agree with the post above mine: "what you feel comfortable with is best"
    No one care for .380? I've never shot it and am curious, as I think I'm going to get one for a backup/offduty, as I'm told it's decent by a friend who's pretty big into firearms.
    For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
    Faith issues
    Challenging hardcore atheism
    Reasonable Faith

Comment

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
      Thats why I said well placed.
      Getting close enough to make sure the muzzle slips neatly behind the bad guys ear might be a bit difficult in most situations....

My Vote is .40SW. It's a good balance between the 9mm and .45 ACP. Decent terminal ballistics, and better capacity than .45 without being too blocky for Officers with smaller hands. Lets face it, MOST cops aren't gunnies anymore. Most of the guys (and gals) i know dont own ANY firearms other than maybe an off-duty gun. the .40 represents a very good compromise for these folks. My personal Preference is .45, but i've been shooting 1911's since before I was a cop, and im a little stubborn that way.

Comment

Originally posted by MDS View Post
        No one care for .380? I've never shot it and am curious, as I think I'm going to get one for a backup/offduty, as I'm told it's decent by a friend who's pretty big into firearms.
        The .380 is the Rodney Dangerfield of calibers. But at a close range with good placement it will work just fine. I would take a SIG P230 over the Kahr P9 any day of the week.

Comment

In simple terms, the best calibre is the largest round you can effectively control under stress. I'd rather see someone carrying a 9mm that can put all the rounds in the 10 ring, then someone carrying a .500 S&W that couldn't hit the broad side of barn.

Personally, I think the .41 Magnum is one of the finest pistol rounds every developed. Since its not really a practical police calibre these days, I vote for the .45 ACP.
          \

Comment

Originally posted by The Rabbi View Post
            The .380 is the Rodney Dangerfield of calibers. But at a close range with good placement it will work just fine. I would take a SIG P230 over the Kahr P9 any day of the week.

lol....the 'Rodney Dangerfield'? Call me dumb but I didn't get this? You mean it's something to laugh at?
            I'm only considering it for up close and personal use for when I go for my weekly run and also to carry in my vest for last ditch (same reason I carry a Cold Steel tanto there).
            For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
            Faith issues
            Reasonable Faith

Comment

It don't get no respect.

Comment

Originally posted by jdh View Post
                It don't get no respect.
                Bingo.

For the purpose you mention it should be fine. Check ammo specs closely though and get the best one that will cycle through your gun.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rabbi View Post
                  Bingo.

For the purpose you mention it should be fine. Check ammo specs closely though and get the best one that will cycle through your gun.
                  Will do, thanks.

Answering Infidels
                  Faith issues
                  Reasonable Faith

Comment

[QUOTE=SRT936;901531]In simple terms, the best calibre is the largest round you can effectively control under stress. I'd rather see someone carrying a 9mm that can put all the rounds in the 10 ring, then someone carrying a .500 S&W that couldn't hit the broad side of barn.

+1 for SRT936 For me, the 9mm always worked fine. For shooting a dog I prefer a rifle or a shotgun, rather than using a handgun. Just my $ 0.02

Comment

[QUOTE=Austin HiPowers;902469]
                      Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      In simple terms, the best calibre is the largest round you can effectively control under stress. I'd rather see someone carrying a 9mm that can put all the rounds in the 10 ring, then someone carrying a .500 S&W that couldn't hit the broad side of barn.

+1 for SRT936 For me, the 9mm always worked fine. For shooting a dog I prefer a rifle or a shotgun, rather than using a handgun. Just my $ 0.02
                      The 9mm seems to travel too fast for my liking. Maybe its just in my head, but 9mil seems to recoil more. I've done better with a .40 and .45 at the range.

Answering Infidels
                      Faith issues
                      Reasonable Faith

Comment

+1 for the .45 ACP. It's been a workhorse for a while for a good reason. Not to mention that the single stack magazine fits well in my girlish little hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
                          The best caliber is the one you feel most confident in. And can shoot the best with. Round placement is far more critical than the number or weight of the round itself.

My thoughts also. A .45 doesn't do much good if you can't hit accurately with it. For each his own. The best for me is not going to be the same for everyone else. I like the bigger is better theory. You just can't go too far. I doubt I could do very fast follow up shots with a .50 like I could with a 9mm.

Comment

handgun choice

I also love a good 357 mag revolver. I carry one off duty. Duty pistol is a 40 cal Glock. I dont like the 40 and would prefer the Glock 17 or 19 9mm. I am a much better shot with the 9mm but the department took it away from me and gave me a 40. No sense in letting you carry what you like and are good with you know.

Comment

9mm is all you need. I don't know why the FBI had to fiddle with it and get the .40 invented lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GCPD0171 View Post
                                My thoughts also. A .45 doesn't do much good if you can't hit accurately with it. For each his own. The best for me is not going to be the same for everyone else. I like the bigger is better theory. You just can't go too far. I doubt I could do very fast follow up shots with a .50 like I could with a 9mm.
                                The story out of Pennsylvania (pretty sure it was Pennsylvania?) illustrates this pretty well. You all seen that? The guy only had a .45 and got shot FULL of holes by patrol and their SRT. Not knocking their officers or SRT, but this proves that shot placement rules the day.

Answering Infidels
                                Faith issues
                                Reasonable Faith

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3849 users online. 259 members and 3590 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X